Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2010   #1
Master of my own domain

Tango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love you
icon_question Icon Display Problem :: Windows 7 Taskbar/Start Menu

So, lately, I can't remember since when, I've been having some issues with icons.

Basically, on unrelated certain programs' (e.g., WinSCP, peerBlock, Windirstat; All used to display fine) icons in the start menu fail to load the actual icon and instead displays, what I call the "windows default icon when no icon is specified" icon, which is simply a piece of paper with what looks to be an old windows 95-style explorer window in the middle.

Like i said, this issue applies for the program in the start menu and in the taskbar for when I actually go load the program. Here's the weird part, if I right click on the program in the taskbar and hit "pin to taskbar" and then repeat the process to unpin it, the proper icon does display. It displays until I right click again, or restart the program.

It's just kind of annoying, distracting and un-aesthetic. It also screws with my workflow if i have two affected programs open; if i don't remember where one is on my taskbar, I have to toggle through them to find the program I want at the moment.

Is there some cache I can reset or something I can do? it's been doing this for awhile, and I can't remember when it first started doing it.

Thanks in advanced.

Crazy Wolf is a sexy beast.
Tango Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010   #2
GF is my bext friend *hugs GF*

Red_Fist has disabled reputation
Default Re: Icon Display Problem :: Windows 7 Taskbar/Start Menu

Just for fun, a file you can't delete that keeps collecting all icons from programs.

Just change the icons on the desktop to large or small or less color or whatever you are not using now.

Then switch it back to your normal icon view, then reboot, it cleans out that file and will start again, like watch when you open control panel the first loading icons appear more slowly.

Can't think of the file name something like sh?????.dll

It will shrink that file down, might work, don't know good luck.
Red_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010   #3
Master of my own domain

Tango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love youTango Protocol - yes, we love you
Default Re: Icon Display Problem :: Windows 7 Taskbar/Start Menu

Didn't do anything.

Any other suggestions?

Crazy Wolf is a sexy beast.
Tango Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote