Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2010   #1
AKA Daxs

ikyojo is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to ikyojo
Default firefox memory usage

Should firefox use that much ram?
Seems like its using to much.

AMD Phenom II 1090T~3.2Ghz/Corsair DDR3 8GB 1600MHz/
1TBHD + 1TB HD/ GigaByte GTX580OC @ 795mhz 1536MB /Mobo Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5/ 7 -64bit Ultimate/ Case Antec 1200 /Antec CP 1000watts/X-540
ikyojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #2
A Phoenix from the ashes

*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation
Default Re: firefox memory usage

What were you doing when you took that? Firefox will use a lot - not quite that much, I've only ever seen 100MB or so when I was streaming a few movies at once. - when you're, for example, streaming movies and what-not.

*Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #3
AKA Daxs

ikyojo is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to ikyojo

just on my facebook that was all it seems so strange im starting to dislike it im thinking of switching to something else because firefox just dosent seem to cut the mustard anymore.

AMD Phenom II 1090T~3.2Ghz/Corsair DDR3 8GB 1600MHz/
1TBHD + 1TB HD/ GigaByte GTX580OC @ 795mhz 1536MB /Mobo Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5/ 7 -64bit Ultimate/ Case Antec 1200 /Antec CP 1000watts/X-540
ikyojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #4
A Phoenix from the ashes

*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation

Opera, Iron, IE... plenty to choose from.

I use Opera quite a bit. I find it slightly faster than Firefox, but less versatile.

*Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #5

Status: Anxiously and eagerly awaiting Game of Thrones S04E04
Arld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finestArld is Gaming Forumsí finest

Yeah, I'm kind of less fond of FireFox after the recent exploits (that have been fixed by now). It just seems to be a lot slower than usual, so I just stick to Chrome. It's fast enough for my preferences. Chrome does use its own task manager and every tab uses memory on its own though, as far as I know.
Arld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #6
(Couldn't find a title)

general_kerr has been known to help peoplegeneral_kerr has been known to help people

That IS unusually high, right now i have 7 windows with 6-20 tabs each (massive searching for information and computer parts atm, + my numerous unreasonably many projects lol) (I'm leaving anything of use open in a tab )

And im using 250MB atm.

I HAVE noticed that after visiting some web sites it can spike to 600mb + until i restart, and that at one point it was using 100% of one or my cores after visiting said site (Added to siteblock it was a useless site anyway)

I use firefox because i know i can trust it, Chrome installs all these other google programs on my computer (google updater, googletoolbarnotifier... etc ) That i cant find Anywhere to TURN OFF in startup (msconfig) or otherwise; I avoid any programs that do this so my system doesn't slow down.

Ponies.
general_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010   #7
EAT ME!

NAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via AIM to NAB622

Yes, that is way too much memory for a web browser to be using. Even when streaming a couple youtube videos, any more than 100 MB is a lot.

Firefox was ruined when they released the final update for 2 (I think it was 2.2). It's been getting worse and worse ever since. Since FF is the only truly secure browser for a windows platform, I changed operating systems - now I use Opera on Linux. It's a million times faster and, overall, way more reliable.

If you're using Windows, though, you're pretty much stuck with FF for security reasons (Noscript + Adblock).

IE, as we all should know by now, has a million exploits that allow hackers straight into your machine and is vulnerable to virtually every single web threat out there. Opera doesn't allow hackers in but it's still vulnerable to most web threats.

I didn't really care to try chrome's security out, but I'm certain that if it isn't blocking executable content (like noscript does), it's not much better.
NAB622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010   #8
Revenge was here.

Warborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognition

I'm only using 84,568k on my Firefox this very second
Warborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010   #9
EAT ME!

NAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via AIM to NAB622

The question is, what pages are open at the moment?
NAB622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010   #10
Beware: I play WoW

PhasmatisApparatus has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to PhasmatisApparatus Send a message via MSN to PhasmatisApparatus

Last edited by PhasmatisApparatus; April 27th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
PhasmatisApparatus is offline   Reply With Quote