Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2010   #1
USA

Quetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemies
Default Intel-Win7-winxp virtulisation ?

I have a system that will accomadate running winXP (downloaded the file) and an intel i7 920 6gig ram, gigbyte x58-UD5 board, with Intel "virtulisation".

I see it uses one of the cores or uses up system resources.
But has anyone done this, will it bog things down, I may try it some time, but would rather have the one OS running.

So, is there any alternative shell or something to install or run old non 64 bit programs.? (win7 pro 64bit)

Because I don't feel the need to use the whole system hardware, just to run a few, or stubborn old programs.
Quetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #2

Zach is close friends with everybodyZach is close friends with everybodyZach is close friends with everybodyZach is close friends with everybodyZach is close friends with everybodyZach is close friends with everybodyZach is close friends with everybody
Send a message via MSN to Zach
Default Re: Intel-Win7-winxp virtulisation ?

Or, you know, just double click them and have them run in 32bit mode?

Herp. Derp.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010   #3
Trust me, I'm a Doctor

*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice
Send a message via AIM to *The.Doctor Send a message via MSN to *The.Doctor

Quote:
So, is there any alternative shell or something to install or run old non 64 bit programs.? (win7 pro 64bit)
32-bit programs usually install themselves to their own Program Files folder (Program Files X86) and the 64-bit native apps just go to the regular program files folder. At least that's how my Win7 install does it by default. You shouldn't need anything extra to run them.

i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Venomous X | 8GB Mushkin Radioactive @ 1820
EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SC @ 1125 | 500GB WD Velociraptor | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 500GB SG 7200.11
Corsair TX-650 | Antec 1200 | Win 7 x64 / Fedora 20 KDE x64 | Gaming on 47" LED 1080P TV
*The.Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010   #4
USA

Quetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemiesQuetron has many enemies

I tried every possible thing with that compatability, no go at all.

Unless I am doing it wrong, but after you select version, then wizard says "start the program" , button , it just stays at the same screen, program don't run, and no complaints pop up.

so far that compatablity seems to do nothing or say anything, the programs won't run that I tried so far.

Other old programs I think won't work (ut99) friggen runs like a champ, and never did a thing to make them run.
Old January 21st, 2010   #5
Hater of all things "Apple" (except the fruit)

Jeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GF
Send a message via ICQ to Jeff Send a message via AIM to Jeff Send a message via MSN to Jeff

If you're trying to run games, remember that virtualiation doesn't take advantage of hardware acceleration. It's all software rendered. The reason UT99 runs like a champ is because it's opengl based (I believe it was, it's been a while since I played it) and your cpu can easily do the 3d rendering on such an old game.

Jeff "n0e" Mills
Community Manager, GameFront.com Network
------------
For all GameFront related support please click here. | Please do not send direct emails or private messages asking me for help.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010   #6
Frag Out!

Mastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via AIM to Mastershroom Send a message via MSN to Mastershroom Send a message via Yahoo to Mastershroom

UT99 has both Direct3D and OpenGL rendering options.

Quetron, you'd probably be better off just dual-booting.
Mastershroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010   #7
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamamee View Post
UT99 has both Direct3D and OpenGL rendering options.

Quetron, you'd probably be better off just dual-booting.
Well the latest I have is win2000, but sooner or later I will try to get my dual boot back.BUT ! I have all this new hardware, so I am avoiding trying to use win2k pro.

I have win7 pro,vista biz 64 bit, is how I installed win7, I got the free "upgrade", however win7 upgrade installs without Vista for some reason.

Plus it's really hard finding out the actual end result on the web,every friggen issue and nothing in simple terms.
One place said after they installed the XP file thing from MS, when they removed the XP, one of the cores stayed locked.

But was wondering if anyone had realtime expirience with this multi OS stuff.

Was also wondering if programs and not OS's can use the harware vitulisation.
Old January 23rd, 2010   #8
Huh, sound?

Junk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praised

Uh what apps are you trying to run? I've never really had an issue with 32 bit aps on vista x64 which is more or less the same (UT99 runs native:P)

The only problem I've encountered was legacy apps, but those tend to inform you that they cannot run on this version of windows.

The combine has not been forgotten
Junk angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010   #9
What does the Fox say?

Kilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetron View Post
Was also wondering if programs and not OS's can use the harware vitulisation.
Programs have to be run on an Operating System, even if only a partial operating system.

It is possible to load only the necessary part of the OS into a virtualization, and then somehow having the virtual environment make calls back to the primary OS when needed.

To do this, you would have to create a new mini version of the operating system for nearly every program. The more complex the program, and the more code you will need from the original OS. It is more cost effective to simply virtualize an entire OS.
Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010   #10
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk angel View Post
Uh what apps are you trying to run? I've never really had an issue with 32 bit aps on vista x64 which is more or less the same (UT99 runs native:P)

The only problem I've encountered was legacy apps, but those tend to inform you that they cannot run on this version of windows.

Hmm, well I guess they must be legacy because it complains and says it won't run.
But I assumed because they have the compat setting for "win 95" hell, how much further back does it need to go.
I think the programs I tried, I thought might be win 98, but if they go back to win95, we needed DOS to have win95 work (no plug and play, TSR programs etc etc)

Got to be a shell someplace

and what is "windows powershell" what does it do for anyone (win7 pro 64 bit)

Last edited by Quetron; January 25th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.