Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010   #1
Hi, im bored

y0umebednow has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to y0umebednow
Default Intel Quad Core VS Intel Core i3-530

Which one is faster? im really not sure about the new Intel Core i3... I heard somewhere that it has a virtual core or something of that sort? which one is faster and better for gaming?

Dance with the devil -- Immortal Technique
y0umebednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010   #2
I would die without GF
Best Techie

Mr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super Moderator
Default Re: Intel Quad Core VS Intel Core i3-530

The Core i3's are substantially faster than the Core 2 Duos at just about everything...apart from gaming. It depends on the chips you compare, but against the E8400, 8500, and 8600, they are better or worse depending on the game. However, against the Core 2 Quads, the Core i3s suck. Except on single-threaded applications.

Quote:
I heard somewhere that it has a virtual core or something of that sort?
You mean Hyperthreading. Basically on hyper-threading-enabled chips, each core can handle two threads; this means that the operating system treats each thread as a core, meaning the number of cores you 'have' is doubled. However, the Core i3 chips do not have hyperthreading. They are limited to 2 physical cores. If you want a hyperthreading-enabled dual-core CPU, you can get one of the Core i5 6xx CPUs.

Last edited by Mr. Pedantic; January 12th, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010   #3
For Vendetta!

V. knows the best jokesV. knows the best jokesV. knows the best jokesV. knows the best jokesV. knows the best jokesV. knows the best jokes
Send a message via MSN to V.

Maybe he means the integrated graphics inside the CPU's, but maybe you're right, it was quite vague

V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010   #4
Trust me, I'm a Doctor

*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice
Send a message via AIM to *The.Doctor Send a message via MSN to *The.Doctor

Don't go with a Core 2 chip at this point. Socket 775 is dead now, and you would pretty much eliminate any chance of upgrading in the future. I say go with the Core i5 750 if you can, the i5 6xx chips have severly limited memory bandwidth compared to the 750 and the i7's which can make a big difference at times.

The i3 is a decent dual core, and will overclock like a beast, but it will take a big overclock for it to even compete with a decent quad core.

i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Venomous X | 8GB Mushkin Radioactive @ 1820
EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SC @ 1125 | 500GB WD Velociraptor | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 500GB SG 7200.11
Corsair TX-650 | Antec 1200 | Win 7 x64 / Fedora 20 KDE x64 | Gaming on 47" LED 1080P TV
*The.Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote