Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2009   #1
I'm too cool to Post

cricom is a n00b
icon_question Difference between 180, 270 and 900 degree racing wheel range of motion

Can someone please help me understand the concept of "degrees" in racing wheel controllers? I never owned one, so to me the concept is brand new. There seems to be two popular racing wheels on the market: Logitech MOMO and Logitech G27 (upgrade from G25).

Logitech G25/27 offers 900 degree range of motion, while Logitech MOMO offers 240 degree range of motion. A lot of other controllers offer standard 180 degree range.

The problem:

In my understanding, a standard 180 degree is half (two quarters) of a full 360 wheel turn... Yesterday I picked up a cheaper controller, thinking 180 degree isn't that big of a deal and the wheel turns just one quarter of a full turn... which totally confused me to hell! I am attaching a quick sketch of what I am talking about. I know its ugly, but it visualizes my thinking process better.

Can someone tell me what is a 180 degree turn, a 270 degree turn and a 900 degree turn in controllers' understanding... In my head, a 900 degree turn is supposed to be a full 2 1/2 wheel turns, a 270 degree turn is 3/4 of a wheel turn and 180 degree is half a turn. Why is then my controller, which offers 180 degree motion turns only 1/4 of a turn (like on the attachment)?

Thanks all, I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Difference between 180, 270 and 900 degree racing wheel range of motion-racing-wheel-degrees.gif  
cricom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #2
aka noobst3R

Von II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good adviceVon II is a person of good advice
Send a message via MSN to Von II
Default Re: Difference between 180, 270 and 900 degree racing wheel range of motion

Mhm, how more the ° it makes, how more turns you can make. Just divide by 360.

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word

Also, I use the word "also" a lot.
Von II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #3
Lord of the Peach

Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)
Default Re: Difference between 180, 270 and 900 degree racing wheel range of motion

900 degrees of motion is just like a real steering wheel.

The 180 is 180 degrees of motion. You can take it all the way from 90 counter clock wise to 90 clock wise.
Pethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #4
Frag Out!

Mastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via AIM to Mastershroom Send a message via MSN to Mastershroom Send a message via Yahoo to Mastershroom

Yeah, you're forgetting about the fact that steering wheels move both left and right.

You can only go 90 degrees to the left, but you can also go 90 degrees to the right, for 180 degrees total range of motion. If you want to be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees (i.e. upside down) in either direction, you'll need a wheel capable of 360 degrees.
Mastershroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #5
I'm too cool to Post

cricom is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pethegreat View Post
900 degrees of motion is just like a real steering wheel.

The 180 is 180 degrees of motion. You can take it all the way from 90 counter clock wise to 90 clock wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamamee View Post
Yeah, you're forgetting about the fact that steering wheels move both left and right.

You can only go 90 degrees to the left, but you can also go 90 degrees to the right, for 180 degrees total range of motion. If you want to be able to turn the wheel 180 degrees (i.e. upside down) in either direction, you'll need a wheel capable of 360 degrees.
Oh, right! I knew there was something! Thanks guys, I completely overlooked that they are actually taking into consideration turns both ways!

Is it correct to estimate one-way turn by dividing the total number of degrees advertised into half, so a 270 degree range will actually provide 135 degree turn from central wheel position? Which is roughly... 1.5/4 of a full turn.

Perhaps you can recommend a simple wheel. The game I am a fan off - trucks make full turn and a half each way approximately ~475 degrees each way (looks like it). So a full 900-950 degrees total.

Logitech G25/27 is way out of my budget of what I want to spend (appr $100). Any idea if there are devices that can fulfill the experience?
Old December 18th, 2009   #6
Modern Warfare

>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge

Keep in mind most race games aren't going to support more than a 270 degree wheel, and even in those it usually ends up being more like 240. Besides the amount you can turn the wheel, theoretically one with a bigger turning range offers more precise control because it's like having more degrees per the same amount of angle the car's wheels turn. In other words there should be less chance of over correcting mistakes as with a wheel with smaller range. It really does depend on the game and a person's preference though. If you're used to controllers or keyboards that offer instant input with a very light tap or movement, it's probably going to be harder to get used to a 900 degree wheel than a 180. Some wheels however can be set to a specific range of motion, and those can be easier to transition from other controllers with.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/350/modernwarfarejn5.jpg

Last edited by >Omen<; December 18th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
>Omen< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #7
I'm too cool to Post

cricom is a n00b

Thanks, Omen, I wasn't aware more games are not even made to support anything above 270 degrees. I just checked with the developer and no limitation was set on it. I know its rather strange but I am going through the phase of Euro Truck Simulator (surprisingly its so much fun!) Always was attracted to those big steel rollers on the road. The game is not really a "racing" game rather a "precision" game, so I think the more degree range the better in this case as the game involves a lot of city/parking driving following the traffic laws, etc...

I guess what I am asking is that since G25/G27 (900 degree range) are so expensive ($300-400), are there any other substitute no-brand steering wheels between 360-900 degree range?
Old December 18th, 2009   #8
Modern Warfare

>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge

I would say the Logitech Driving Force GT is the best affordably priced 900 degree wheel ($76 @ GearXS), but unfortunately it's PC title support is not as good as the Momo and G25/27. It's basically a PS2/PS3 wheel. For the most part that just means a couple of it's special function buttons won't work on PC titles though. This review explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGVo9otfU4M

I agree the type of game you're talking about would benefit from 900 degrees. Big haul truck wheels are a lot like bus wheels, they're big and have a lot of turning range.

Last edited by >Omen<; December 18th, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old December 21st, 2009   #9
I'm too cool to Post

cricom is a n00b

Omen, thank you for an amazing tip on that wheel! You are awesome.

The few missing buttons, or that 24-position adjustment wheel, doesn't bother me - the game I crave only requires few buttons anyway. As long as those left and right buttons work, this should fulfill the experience. I shall be hunting for the best price now.
Old December 22nd, 2009   #10
Modern Warfare

Hey, no problem man, whatever works for ya. I thought the same about the special buttons too. There's not that many games that support the on the fly traction control anyway and guess what the other one was, the HORN. LOL

What "steered" away from the DF GT was that it basically has the same cheap plastic pedal potentiometers (analog sensors) the MOMO does that are loosely held in place. However there's some great mod tips if you search for them on how to use things like 1) putty, 2) O Rings, and 3) electrical tape to hold the pots, seal them from dirt/hair, and take the slop out of the pedal shafts.

Many have reported yrs of trouble free use from such pedals, but some have said they can quickly loose calibration, which is often caused by the pots moving and/or accumulating debris. Make sure you keep the floor clean and put them in a plastic bag when not in use.