Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2009   #1
What does the Fox say?

Kilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as RevengeKilobyte is almost as leet as Revenge
Default Am I alone in hating WinXP, and Win7?

Having used Windows since version 3.x, I have become accustomed to its oddities.

Since Windows 2000, stability has not been a major concern. Performance and appearance have been. For a while I largely switched to Linux (KDE) for that style I needed. Compiz-Fusion is difficult to compete with.

For some reason I find Windows 7 to be a step backwards in asthetics. A fairly tacky looking operating system.

My biggest complaint, the way open apps, and pinned apps are mixed together. This problem is made worse if you go for a more retro style, with the words on the taskbar. It ends up looking like a Beta Operating system.

Also, when you maximize a window, the background is transparent... GAH!!!
I mean, Vista wasn't perfect, but at least it wasn't quite so distracting...

Sure Win7 has a lot of decent enhancements, if you don't mind having to squint though fingerprints to see the screen (or cleaning it every 10 minutes). I have enough trouble with my iPod thank you very much.

I'm only missing two things from Win7, The live preview of tabs, and rotating backgrounds.

------- Needless dribble starts here ------------

Now I had similar complaints with Windows XP. I had fewer reasons to upgrade to Windows XP. Back then it was not only fugly playskool, it was bloated, slow, and incompatible with tons of software.

Now that I look at that, Vista fixed the fugly problem, but repeated the rest of the mistakes. Windows 7 fixes the other mistakes, but returns to the fugly problem, albiet to a slightly lesser degree...

Window Blinds is a haphazard solution, and I've had poor results with it. If it wasn't for Style XP, then I might have never gotten through Windows XP, for the couple of years I had to use it. It was a true blessing indeed. Especially when 3rd party support for Windows 2000 began to end.

--------------

Maybe I'm just odd, but I find that certain desktop environments have a certain charm. Something that is still pleasant to look at, even to this day. Maybe its just that they feel solid, polished.

Windows 3.x
Apple System 6 for the 512k Macintosh.
Windows 2000 Pro
MacOS 8.6
KDE 3.5.x
Windows Vista
KDE 4.2

Windows 95 was not an amazing beauty even when new, and certainly does not warrant any praise now. Windows 98 was a very capable OS, but may have actually been even more ugly than Windows 95, or XP. Windows Me switched between ugly, and as good as Win2k. Somehow though, Windows 3 holds up to the test of time, and remains a functional, clean, and attractive desktop, even to this day.

As for the MacOS. Well, System 6 had a certain polish to it, and suits the small 512k screen perfectly. Unfortunately, I never got to use it during its heyday, but it is attractive, functional, and stable even now. I started with MacOS 7.5. It actually had a splash of color, which now appears tacky to the eye. Even then I considered it tacky, and got my hands on an OS 8 Appearance extension as soon as I could. While I don't mind the OS 8 line, I can't help but appreaciate the polish in the OS 8.6 version. I can even look past the extraneous features in OS 9, that attempted to nurse it along far past its prime, and see OS 8 in OS 9.

I haven't included Mac OS X, as I have not had the opportunity to use any decent version for long. If I've heard correctly, the decent versions start at OS X 10.4.x. With the 10.5 or 10.6 possibly being the best looking. Anyway, I just know that 10.2 may as well be Windows XP.

As for Linux, I've never really liked Gnome, although the Later Gnome 2 versions are sufficient. I've always preferred KDE. The 3.5.x versions are currently the most polished versions of KDE, bar none. Probably the most attractive Desktop IMHO. Although the latest KDE 4 versions are making massive strides.

Well, why am I spending so much time dwelling on the asthetics of an Operating System. Well, I'm bored, and apparently that has been my hobby for quite some time. Not just studying the asthetics of operating systems, but in a wide variety of programs.

Last edited by Kilobyte; December 6th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009   #2
AKA Daxs

ikyojo is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to ikyojo
Default Re: Am I alone in hating WinXP, and Win7?

Your not alone and i agree after using vista and i went to look at xp it feels ugly and i must admit a pain to use shame my school hasn't upgraded. I really like the look and feel of the new OSX such as leopard and Snow Leopard very fun and user friendly and every thing seemed to click together and the dock just made that desktop so easy to use put all your favorite apps there and you dont have to worry about desktop icon clutter which i suffer from on my pc.

AMD Phenom II 1090T~3.2Ghz/Corsair DDR3 8GB 1600MHz/
1TBHD + 1TB HD/ GigaByte GTX580OC @ 795mhz 1536MB /Mobo Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5/ 7 -64bit Ultimate/ Case Antec 1200 /Antec CP 1000watts/X-540
ikyojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009   #3
Huh yeah, whatever ^^

ConstanceJill has a sound reputationConstanceJill has a sound reputationConstanceJill has a sound reputationConstanceJill has a sound reputationConstanceJill has a sound reputation

Come one people, appearance isn't a definitive issue. There are LOTS of ways to modify how it looks, from desktop properties / appearance tab to alternate shells (remember system.ini ?)

As for stability, well yeah, it's much easier to crash XP than it was to crash Windows 3 or at least, it's much more difficult to fix XP than it is to fix Windows 3 because of the so many reasons why you could be unable to get to the shell but both XP and 7 (well, from what I've heard about 7) are pretty stable by themselves.

The main concern imho is resource and room usage : an OS should be meant to operate your hardware to the best of its capabilities but do so using as little resource as possible (which the default "appearance" settings don't do, because of useless "eyecandy" effects), and avoid using room for (almost) useless stuff, that could either stay on the install medium or just not be here at all.

Last edited by ConstanceJill; December 6th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
ConstanceJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009   #4
The Bad

MrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limit

From all the Windows versions I have used (and I have used all of the non-server versions since 3.1) I liked XP the most. Very stable, low resource-use and good driver support.

MrFancypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009   #5
Re-heally?
Jedi Scholar

Zipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_user View Post
Since Windows 2000, stability has not been a major concern.
*Looks at his Vista-laptop and calls this a lie*
I, like most people obviously, liked XP.
Especially compared to Vista. Even when leaving out the stability and compatibility issue. It takes you hours to find something. Actually, you find everything that you're not looking for.

Zipacna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009   #6
Banned
El Bano

*Kinetic should make some friends
Send a message via Yahoo to *Kinetic

You are not alone. I am here with you. I've read everything you say, but Windows 7 is here to stay. But you are not alone, for I am here with you. Though we're far apart, XP is in my heart.
*Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009   #7
Huh, sound?

Junk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praised

To be honest I find one of the problems you mention to be quite interesting.
The transparancy during maximised windows. I've been messing with the looks of both my xp and vista for a long time, and the thing a very large set of theme modders changed was precisely this behavior - the blackness in maximasation was considered fuggly.

Otherwise I agree with a lot of the things you mention.
Luna blue on xp was probably the most ugly theme I've encountered on windows. Silver and olive green weren't as bad, but they weren't spectacular either.

The zune themes weren't all that awesome either. To be honest the only passable theme on XP in my opinion was Royal Noir. Royal and Royal blue (windows embedded theme) were better then the rest but still meh.

Vista was definitely a large improvement over this, but I have to stay that I never became a great fan of either Aero or Aero basic. I just never liked the massive borders that MS seems to have grown fond of.

If they instead gave us a theme similar to that on MSN live I'd have loved them to bits.
Very good buttons( aero styled which are better in useability than XP ones), thin borders, round corners, not overpowering.
As an example - http://www.arturogoga.com/wp-content...messenger3.png

In the end I went the same route as many others - windows visual styles or windowblinds. In vista you're almost forced to go with WB, since most of visual styles safe a few are just slightly modifified aero. There's a couple of good aerobasic styles there, but you lose too much functionality.

From what I've seen with w7 it's a lot better there. I guess mostly because a lot of former XP style modders went to it, which means the styling community in that will probably be a lot more productive than the vista one.

And tenno I find finding stuff in vista to be far faster than in XP. One has to forget the XP locations for stuff for a second and just try to go with where it should naturally be. A complete windows newbie will probably have an easier time on vista than in XP.

Not to mention it was color pickable.

Quote:
Come one people, appearance isn't a definitive issue. There are LOTS of ways to modify how it looks, from desktop properties / appearance tab to alternate shells (remember system.ini ?)
System.ini won't allow you to change in NT systems anymore. You need to delve a bit deeper into the registry. Plus you have to make the fileexplorer to be a separate process from the desktop environment. (which you can do with explorer thankfully) Otherwise when launching an explorer window you'll also launch the windows desktop. (former litestep user here :P I might still load it up form time to time, but don't have any need to right now. If I had a tabled pc on the other hand... :P)

Quote:
The main concern imho is resource and room usage : an OS should be meant to operate your hardware to the best of its capabilities but do so using as little resource as possible (which the default "appearance" settings don't do, because of useless "eyecandy" effects), and avoid using room for (almost) useless stuff, that could either stay on the install medium or just not be here at all.
I actually noticed an interesting thing. Most so called power-users usually tend to scoff at a lot eyecandy, even to the limit of useability.
For instance using tiny icons, or forgoing icons complete for text. And plenty of other various things.
While the keyboard helps to aleviate a lot of the problems, it's still usually better to go to a GUI from the view of good old fitt's law instead of this looks professional.

The combine has not been forgotten

Last edited by Junk angel; December 6th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
Junk angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009   #8
Uber Geek

Sgt. D. Pilla does a good jobSgt. D. Pilla does a good jobSgt. D. Pilla does a good jobSgt. D. Pilla does a good jobSgt. D. Pilla does a good job

Win 7 looks a lot better then Vista, im not sure what you mean about maximized windows being transparent though, mine aren't and im using a normal theme (just pink).

XP was ugly though, I agree with Junk that silver was nice though, oliver was ugly, Royal was ok to.

Not a big fan of the big borders, but they are still smaller then Vista's and dont have a ugly bright blue border.

I dont use Win 7 with the default grouping of icons, so my taskbar icons are the same as those you find in XP and like every other MS OS.

Stability/Compatability/Security wise Win 7 is by far the best from initial release, XP and Vista both had massive issues with all the above from initial release until first SP, and XP wasn't to much different kernal wise to Win 2000, just like Win 7 isn't to different to Vista kernal wise.

Really if anything Win 2000 should have had all the compatability/stability/security issues and XP improve upon that, but it seems to be from initial release XP was the other way around, it was worse.
Atleast Vista/Win 7 got it right...new kernal = vista = all the shit issues, then win 7 fixed it all...well almost lol.

Cert III - IT Networking
Cert III - IT Gen
Cert IV - Web Design
Network Services Engineer
Sgt. D. Pilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009   #9
A Phoenix from the ashes

*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation*Daedalus has a sound reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. D. Pilla View Post
Win 7 looks a lot better then Vista, im not sure what you mean about maximized windows being transparent though, mine aren't and im using a normal theme (just pink).

XP was ugly though, I agree with Junk that silver was nice though, oliver was ugly, Royal was ok to.

Not a big fan of the big borders, but they are still smaller then Vista's and dont have a ugly bright blue border.
I think he meant the window bars, not the whole window. In Vista they're black, in Win7 they stay transparent. For some stupid reason, all the designers seem to like this.

I'm glad about the bright blue being around the borders being gone; wasn't a big fan of that.

*Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009   #10
Trust me, I'm a Doctor

*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice
Send a message via AIM to *The.Doctor Send a message via MSN to *The.Doctor

Of all the versions of Windows i've used (everything from 95-7) i can honestly say Win7 is by far the best. In the months i've been using it, i have not had one problem yet, which is something i cannot say about previous versions of Windows. Its also the fastest, most polished, and best looking out of the box IMO.

I wouldn't want to go back to XP for any reason at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Daedalus View Post
For some stupid reason, all the designers seem to like this.
Because it looks a lot better than the ugly black color that Vista had.

Quote:
I haven't included Mac OS X, as I have not had the opportunity to use any decent version for long. If I've heard correctly, the decent versions start at OS X 10.4.x. With the 10.5 or 10.6 possibly being the best looking. Anyway, I just know that 10.2 may as well be Windows XP.
10.4 > Windows (in appearance.)

Even after using Win7 i still find myself preferring the looks of OS X 10.4+. I actually use a OS X theme on my Windows installs a lot of the time. I haven't had a chance to play around with 10.5 or 10.6 but from what i've seen they put 10.4 and Vista/Win7 to shame in looks. *waits for apple haters to see this*

i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Venomous X | 8GB Mushkin Radioactive @ 1820
EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SC @ 1125 | 500GB WD Velociraptor | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 500GB SG 7200.11
Corsair TX-650 | Antec 1200 | Win 7 x64 / Fedora 20 KDE x64 | Gaming on 47" LED 1080P TV
*The.Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote