Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2009   #1
NSD.Night.01

rah66jr is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to rah66jr Send a message via MSN to rah66jr Send a message via Yahoo to rah66jr
Default NVIDIA GeForce GT 230, any good?

I purchased a new PC the other day and the specs are spectacular but I'm not sure about the card- the NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 (PCIE) is what came with the system and I'm not sure how good it is... if I should upgrade. I was using an ATI Radeon x1950PRO (HIS) on my old PC and I don't know if I should put my old card in or keep using the one that came with it. If I SHOULD replace my new card can you suggest a card (preferably dx10 compatible) that will cost me under $150.... must be a substantial upgrade from both the NVIDIA and ATI cards I already have and be PCIE x16... thanks!

rah66jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009   #2
Frag Out!

Mastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the AdminsMastershroom has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via AIM to Mastershroom Send a message via MSN to Mastershroom Send a message via Yahoo to Mastershroom
Default Re: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230, any good?

Sell your GT 230 and buy a GTX 275. It costs a bit more than $150, but it should balance out with whatever you can get for that GT 230.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Matt View Post
And now I know how Hitler felt.
[ i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz | MSI P67A-G43 | Cooler Master V8 | Corsair TX750 V2 750W | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz | Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 | ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II triple-slot 1536MB | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 ]
Mastershroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009   #3
Gettin' hardware chilly
Clan Member

kow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forums
Send a message via AIM to kow_ciller Send a message via MSN to kow_ciller Send a message via Yahoo to kow_ciller

well, if you're going to stay under $150 I'd suggest either a 4870 1gb or gtx260 216sp (whichever is cheaper since they perform the same)

Reviews
Too much hardware to keep track of
kow_ciller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009   #4
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

Yeah, don't get a GT 230. You'll be much happier with either card that Kow mentioned.

Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009   #5
Gettin' hardware chilly
Clan Member

kow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forumskow_ciller mourns the day Revenge left the forums
Send a message via AIM to kow_ciller Send a message via MSN to kow_ciller Send a message via Yahoo to kow_ciller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamamee View Post
Sell your GT 230 and buy a GTX 275. It costs a bit more than $150, but it should balance out with whatever you can get for that GT 230.
Hate to say it, but the price premium over the gtx260 216sp isn't worth it at all.

I'd say go for either one of these Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4870 1GBD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or one of these
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX260896OCE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

IMO though the 4870 1gb card would be the better buy since it is $20 cheaper (if they were the same price I'd give the nod to the gtx260, but the price is the deciding factor in this case)

Reviews
Old August 20th, 2009   #6
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

Yeah, the only difference is that the 260 wins in F.E.A.R. 2, but the 4870 wins in Fallout 3, every other game the only difference is like 1 fps. So definitely get the 4870.

Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009   #7
Trust me, I'm a Doctor

*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice*The.Doctor is a person of good advice
Send a message via AIM to *The.Doctor Send a message via MSN to *The.Doctor

The extra memory on the 4870 1GB can help it pull slightly ahead at high resolutions (think 1920x1080 and higher) in a lot of games.

i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Venomous X | 8GB Mushkin Radioactive @ 1820
EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SC @ 1125 | 500GB WD Velociraptor | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 500GB SG 7200.11
Corsair TX-650 | Antec 1200 | Win 7 x64 / Fedora 20 KDE x64 | Gaming on 47" LED 1080P TV
*The.Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009   #8
NSD.Night.01

rah66jr is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to rah66jr Send a message via MSN to rah66jr Send a message via Yahoo to rah66jr

Now would you say these two are upper end cards? Significantly better than my Radeon x1950PRO? What kind of performance can I expect out of these cards? Could I play Cyrsis or other graphically heavy games on higher settings with good FPS? If I have to go over $150 I can just not... a LOT over lol.

rah66jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009   #9
Gettin' hardware chilly
Clan Member

well, if you're looking to go right over $150 a 4890 fits the bill. They are THE card to get right now. The difference between any of these cards and a 1950pro is like night and day. (I've owned everything from x1950xtx to 4890)

Reviews
Old August 21st, 2009   #10
I would die without GF
Best Techie

Mr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super Moderator

Quote:
Now would you say these two are upper end cards? Significantly better than my Radeon x1950PRO? What kind of performance can I expect out of these cards? Could I play Cyrsis or other graphically heavy games on higher settings with good FPS? If I have to go over $150 I can just not... a LOT over lol.
They were definitely upper end cards up until a few months ago. Even now for the performance they offer they would be classed as 'mid-high enthusiast' cards.

If you can get an HD4890 for ~$170, which is a fairly reasonable price for such a card, it would be a very big difference between the 1950 PRO and the GT 230. The GTX275 is slightly more expensive, but it might be preferable to get that if you particularly like NVidia.

Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote