Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2009   #1
We will rule you

crisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderator
Default cant record game audio and my voice at the same time using FRAPS and Audacity

yea. i wanted to do a lets play but do to technical problems, my audio doesnt work properly. ok i want to record like this.

i have fraps and audacity up.
fraps should record the game and the games audio
audacity should record my voice
but what happens is, i start recording my voice and bring up the game. and as soon as fraps starts recording, audacity captures the games audio instead of my voice.

i dont know what happened. i have my mic plugged into the back of my computer since the front port wont work. im running XP. and i dont know what other info to give. can anyone help?

crisissuit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009   #2
Modern Warfare

>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge
Default Re: cant record game audio and my voice at the same time using FRAPS and Audacity

I don't think it's even possible to do what you're trying to do because both apps obviously record via software and they're going to try and record whatever audio is going through the sound device you have enabled on your system. Since you can only enable one audio device at a time, you're going to get either both of them trying to record the same thing, or only one will dominate and actively record while the other does nothing, more likely the latter.

I doubt you could even get Audacity to use a virtual sound device for recording (like Total Recorder's codec is listed as for instance) whilst Fraps uses a hardware device. Even virtual devices are still listed as an audio device in the Audio Properties panel, of which you can only use one at a time.

I think the only way you'll be able to do this is record your voice by an external hardware solution using a voice recorder or some such tool. You could later download it onto your HDD, mux it with Audacity and sync it up with VirtualDub if necessary.

You don't need to mux with Audacity though if using a video editor that can handle more than one audio stream at a time, which most full featured editors do. I mux with Audacity because I edit with VDub, which can only handle one audio stream.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/350/modernwarfarejn5.jpg
>Omen< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009   #3
We will rule you

crisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderatorcrisissuit3 is as cool as a Moderator
Default Re: cant record game audio and my voice at the same time using FRAPS and Audacity

i see what you mean. basically its like this. say i have 2 computers(which i do, convieniantly right next to each other. so while one records the game. the other computer is recording my voice? then sync it later. it could work, but the manual labor does seem unneccesary. but if its the only option i have, then ill take it.

Old May 2nd, 2009   #4
Modern Warfare

>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge>Omen< is almost as leet as Revenge

Yeah, you could probably do it that way, or just later record your voice whilst watching the video if all you want to do is add commentary. Either way you'll have to sync it up during editing, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I look forward to seeing/hearing the end result. Some people surprise me with their videos, so I never take them for granted.

Old May 2nd, 2009   #5
We will rule you

i've done commentary on pre recorded videos. to me i sounded rather bored. im hoping to put a little "emotiong?" into my lets play. and im up to your challange on all ghillied up and one shot one kill.

Old May 2nd, 2009   #6
Modern Warfare

I don't know, personally I feel you're better of doing a bit of play acting to relive the moment later than to voice it during the frustration of a hard challenge. In some cases it can be the cause of several recordings to finally get comfortable with it. It depends on how difficult you want the challenge to look I suppose, but in general videos that show challenges done in a seemingly haphazard way are not too popular.

Then again, if you feel you are good at spontaneous, witty commentary without affecting your gameplay, go for it.