Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2008   #1
Huh, sound?

Junk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praisedJunk angel is often praised
Default so vista sp2 worth it?

So I've been wondering - is the second service pack for vista worth it?
What does it change?
I'd rather not loose my patched uxtheme.dll :~

Anyone got any better specifics?

The combine has not been forgotten
Junk angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008   #2
Hater of all things "Apple" (except the fruit)

Jeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GF
Send a message via ICQ to Jeff Send a message via AIM to Jeff Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Default Re: so vista sp2 worth it?

They usually are because they contain additional tweaks to system files that make things run better (usually). I think it's worth losing a patched .dll file that's not a system critical file.

Jeff "n0e" Mills
Community Manager, GameFront.com Network
------------
For all GameFront related support please click here. | Please do not send direct emails or private messages asking me for help.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008   #3
Keep honking im reloading

Acualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0e View Post
They usually are because they contain additional tweaks to system files that make things run better (usually). I think it's worth losing a patched .dll file that's not a system critical file.
Even so, patching the .dll takes only about a minute tops. So why not Download SP2, install, download the patched .dll, overwrite it. Restart, Bam, both problems solved..

right?

/30
Acualy Is Confusingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008   #4
Hater of all things "Apple" (except the fruit)

Jeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GFJeff is addicted to GF
Send a message via ICQ to Jeff Send a message via AIM to Jeff Send a message via MSN to Jeff

depends on if the file is able to be used by a service pack 2 applied vista.

Jeff "n0e" Mills
Community Manager, GameFront.com Network
------------
For all GameFront related support please click here. | Please do not send direct emails or private messages asking me for help.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008   #5
Keep honking im reloading

Acualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done thatAcualy Is Confusingkid has been there and done that

Well, no worries anyways, a quick google search and i got this...

Short: Windows Vista SP2 16489 Uxtheme.dll hasn’t changed… - Within Windows

edit: Nvm.. Update

Short: … but Windows Vista SP2 16489 ThemeUI.dll, Shsvcs.dll have! - Within Windows

/30
Acualy Is Confusingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008   #6
Emissary of Technology

Serio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GF

I still say wait until the full version is out. Not worth any bugs or incompatibility issues that it might bring. I just hope it wont go the same way it did for EU with SP1. Getting the service pack two months late, with several glitches it brought. Bad marketing.

Join the GameFront IRC channel
#gamefront on irc.arloria.net

Serio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008   #7
I would die without GF

Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)

i agree, just wait, isn't this a beta also? Probable some huge microsoft mistakes are still lurking in it.
Stark98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008   #8
Emissary of Technology

Serio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GF

It's the preview, so yeah, pretty much a beta.

Join the GameFront IRC channel
#gamefront on irc.arloria.net

Serio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008   #9
I would die without GF

Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)Stark98 saves the day (again)

oke definately, don't download it.
Stark98 is offline   Reply With Quote