Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > Tech Discussion

Remember Me?

Tech Discussion Technology, web, programming, hardware and software discussion | Please, no gaming related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2008   #1
I live on Gaming Forums

random_soldier1337 is a regular member
Default How Does ComboFix Work?

I opened up combofix.exe and all it did was open up a DOS command window (I think that is what it's called). Is that how it is supposed to work? Should I give my computer a virus scan? I downloaded it from the combofix homepage, incase that somehow furthers things.
random_soldier1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008   #2
Arrrr!

Huffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as Revenge
Default Re: How Does ComboFix Work?

Combofix isn't something you should run unless you need to, some tools can damage your installation if you don't know what you are doing and I'm inclined to label combofix one of those. If you believe that you have a virus the obvious thing to do before playing with combofix is to let your antivirus software run a full scan. That said combofix does run within a cmd window IIRC, but read the instructions before you start, they are really simple.

Huffardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008   #3
I live on Gaming Forums

Ok sorry. I should've thought of reading the instructions. Usually I don't. I just expect the thing to install and give me some sort of simplified interface and easy-to-understand to rely on. Although, only the file combofix.exe was downloaded. There was no readme with it or anything. I just asked about the virus scan thing because I was wondering if this was a disguised file and had released a virus upon opening up that DOS command window.
Oh and one last thing, what does IIRC stand for? (Sorry I don't know that much internet lingo)
Old October 15th, 2008   #4
Arrrr!

Huffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as Revenge

No, it isn't a virus, but are you sure you need to run it?

Here are some instructions for combofix, but please, next time ask Google before making us do it.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Huffardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008   #5
The Force is strong with him

The_Computer_Wizard should make some friends

i agree with huffardo on the fact that combofix should probably be the last thing you run, however it is a very powerful tool, and yes there is a warning that it can mess up your installation
however, ive run it on a ton of machines, and it has never messed them up, actually ive ALWAYS had it help, by that i mean ive never run it and have it make no difference
also there is a cool thing you can do with it to make a windows recovery console for windows without your windows xp cd

anyway, these are the rules i follow to running combofix
i did:
hardware scans
antivirus scan
spyware scan
registry scan
ad-aware
cleaned out all startup programs
researched symptoms

only after all that do i usually run it (unless i know of a specific case where combofix has fixed a certain virus that nothing else has yet)

but as far as using it, double click it, hit yes, and go grab a cup of coffee while it does its thing (will restart your computer, so if you have a password you'll need to re-enter it when it boots back up)
The_Computer_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008   #6
I live on Gaming Forums

All right. Thanks. I was wondering and also a bit worried but thanks for helping out.