Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Legacy Gaming > Star Wars: Jedi Knight Series > Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy > SW:JK3 Problems, Errors and Help

Remember Me?

SW:JK3 Problems, Errors and Help JK3 not working? Need Help? Post all your problems here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2010   #1
I'm too cool to Post

PedroFromHell is a n00b
Default Jedi Academy crashes on startup

Hello,
I hope someone can help me find a solution to this problem.
I've searched for a thread that deals with this issue, but I couldn't find any. Forgive me if I missed any.

When I click on any Jedi Academy .exe file, whether it be the single player, multiplayer, or the auto run from straight from the CD, the blue startup console comes up for a split second as normal, the screen goes black, but then it goes back to the desktop in 600x800 resolution, holds for a few seconds with the cursor as either an hourglass or a text 'I', and I get a report that reads: 'jamp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" [Send Error Report] [Don't Send Error Report].' jamp.exe of course is changed to jasp.exe if I try singleplayer.

I have an ATI Radeon X1650 agp pro, 1.99ghz AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor and 1.50gb of RAM. I'm sure this is well above the required specs for Jedi Academy. I used to run the game fine at max settings, along with Jedi Knight 2.

I have all the latest drivers for my videocard from the official website.

I thought the CD might have some problem, so I tried a crack, as well as an entire new download (this is legal if I already own the game right?) but I get the exact same error.

I've looked into the Windows Long Event Viewer and it has this error message: 'Faulting application jamp.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module atioglxx.dll, version 6.14.10.8545, fault address 0x0051ac8e.' I'm guessing the important part there is 'atioglxx.dll'?

I've just tried formatting my computer, but the same thing happens.

I'm quite sure the only thing that has changed since last time I had the game installed (maybe two or three years ago) are my video drivers. ATI has grouped all of the Radeon GPU drivers (except the newer models) into a 'legacy support branch' so it's one download for all the cards. Maybe these new drivers are to blame?

Thank you very much for the help.
Pedro.

Last edited by PedroFromHell; April 19th, 2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Posted in a grey font that was hard to read by accident
PedroFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010   #2
Innuend-o-matic

Tricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machina
Cool Re: Jedi Academy crashes on startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroFromHell View Post
I thought the CD might have some problem, so I tried a crack, as well as an entire new download (this is legal if I already own the game right?)
Unless you downloaded it from a legit site, like Steam or Direct2Drive, it is not legal. Congratulations, you broke the law. Officer, arrest him.

I assume you own legal copy of the game, bought from a legal source, like a store. Have you tried patching it?
Tricorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010   #3
I don't spend enough time here

RevanShytu is a n00b
Default Re: Jedi Academy crashes on startup

Maybe try downloading and installing this; Jedi Knight Academy Patch 1.01 Download, Jedi Knight 3 Others If its not the solution, then sorry =/
RevanShytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010   #4
Worse than most terrible

Raz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as Revenge

* Raz0r votes for Pedro

1) 1.01 patch
2) Remove then install video drivers (ATI Display Driver + CCC, DirectX 9.0c redistributable, etc)

Your specs seem fine, and Windows is saying ATI DD is faulting, so this seems the only logical solution.
Using a crack is illegal, and JA will actually hinder itself in a few ways if it detects you're using one.

PLAY MORE PROMODE
Raz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010   #5
I'm too cool to Post

PedroFromHell is a n00b

Darn, I thought if you had already bought the actual game and owned the real CD, downloading a copy was perfectly fine. In any case, I've deleted it since now I know the CD is fine and it's my computer that is at fault.

I've updated it to patch 1.01, I get the same error, and I've also tried uninstalling and installing the video drivers, as well as Direct X 9c but no luck.

Thank you all for the help so far.

I've found a forum dealing with the game Neverwinter Nights that deals with a similar issue: http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=489681&forum=49

I quote-

"As I've read on this forum after experiencing random crashes myself, some people using an ATi video card have (random) crashes related to atioglxx.dll"

"Playing the game under Windows XP on a system containing an ATI Radeon X800 series, may result in the game exiting to the Windows desktop and an error message being displayed."

"Fix:

A note for everyone having crashes in general that can relate to either sound or video or other hardware, always try playing with / disabling functions / features in the options menu, related to the crash given information.
As I tried disabling functions / features in the advanced video options, I discovered after trying one by one (note: turning one off, then if still crashes, turn the one you turned off, on again and turn off the next feature) that (for me, very likely others having this crash as well) the "Enable Shiny Water" function renders this crash to occur. After I turned this function off, the in-game locations that resulted into these crashes, worked again, and playing for another few hours didn't result in any crash anymore."

So the fix for that game is turning "Enable Shiny Water" function off. I'm not sure how this relates to JKA, but is there a function I could turn off from the .config file?

Edit-
I've untinstalled the ATi Catalyst Control Center and all its drivers, ran a driver cleaner program in safemode, deleted all the tmp files etc and installed Catalys Control Center version 8.7 beta.
I did this to see if it is indeed the newer drivers' fault. I'm not 100 percent sure if 8.7b was the version I had when I had Jedi Academy last installed, but I went for it.
Now instead of crashing to the desktop with a send error report, it crashes to the desktop with the blue console and says "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem"
The change of error is refreshing to say the least... I understand many people have gotten this error before, but I've not found a definitive fix.

I've tried the current most recent drivers again, and it goes back to the 'report send error'.

This is really driving me insane.

Last edited by PedroFromHell; April 20th, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: New information
Old April 24th, 2010   #6
I'm too cool to Post

PedroFromHell is a n00b

So... I fixed it. Ish. I found an old third party driver for my card that worked. I guess the new drivers have some sort of fault with the atioglxx.dll file.
However, my computer has crashed while playing multiplayer at least four times. The game freezes, I get looped sound, and there's nothing I can do but reboot. It doesn't seem to happen if the server is on Bespin or Death Star maps.

I'd also like to point out that I do own a legal hard copy of the game, as well as a legal Steam version. When I said I downloaded a crack I meant I downloaded it to check the problem wasn't my CD's fault. The Steam version was my last attempt. I deleted the crack as soon as I tried it and got the same error message.
Old April 24th, 2010   #7
Innuend-o-matic

Tricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machina

ATI drivers are notorious for causing problems with old(er) games. Curious; have you try disabling Dynamic Glow? ATI cards can't handle it properly. Patch is supposed to fix that, but it doesn't help everyone.
Old April 24th, 2010   #8
Worse than most terrible

Raz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as RevengeRaz0r is almost as leet as Revenge

ATI cards handle dynamic glow fine. *experience*
ATI in general are fine for JA.

Check if your GPU or CPU are over-heating (This is likely the issue)
Another fix may be to lock JA to only using one core on a multicore system

PLAY MORE PROMODE

Last edited by Raz0r; April 24th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Raz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010   #9
Innuend-o-matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Raz0r- View Post
After patching the game.

LucasArts.com | Yoda's Help Desk

Quite common problem for ATI users. I've seen plenty of threads on that topic here. If, however, you never had any problems with Dynamic Glow on your ATI card, you are one of the rare lucky ones.

Personally, I always used and still use NVIDIA, so I don't have a first-hand experience with that.
Old April 25th, 2010   #10
EAT ME!

NAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via AIM to NAB622

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Raz0r- View Post
Mine don't work, and my copy of JA came patched from the factory. (ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 and x1400) I'm not bashing ATI, just pointing that out.

Besides, some NVidia cards have issues with dynamic glow as well. It's not just ATI. The only reason ATI gets blamed is because they have the problem more often and the official response on the FAQ (or wherever it was first stated) specifically blames them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricorder View Post
Personally, I always used and still use NVIDIA, so I don't have a first-hand experience with that.
That's ok, you can use your inferior products if you wish.

Last edited by NAB622; April 25th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
NAB622 is offline   Reply With Quote