Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Star Wars: Jedi Knight Series > Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy > SW:JK3 Problems, Errors and Help

Remember Me?

SW:JK3 Problems, Errors and Help JK3 not working? Need Help? Post all your problems here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2005   #1
Pending Further Assignment

Fear-No-Evil is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to Fear-No-Evil
Default Skins - single player?

This post is the only reason I joined the forums, but I'll stay on anyway
Ok, I was wondering if you have to do anything in particular to use downloaded skins in single player. I have downloaded loads of skins so far, and the only one that works in single player is the !sos! clan skin pack. can anyone help?
p.s. I am unzipping the skins in the gamdata base folder.

Fear-No-Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005   #2
Evil Creature

MasterHill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Skins - single player?

Can you select the !sos! skins from the custom jedi menu?
MasterHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005   #3
[Insert User Title Here]

Inyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured One
Send a message via MSN to Inyri Forge

Master Hill, you signature size is slightly too large. The maximum height for signature images is 100 pixels -- could you modify your signature appropriately?

Fear-No-Evil -- welcome to the forums. Please be sure to read the FAQ to get yourself acquainted with GF's forum guidelines.

I've attached two tutorials that should help you get skins into SP.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf single_player_species_variants.rtf (4.1 KB, 897 views)
File Type: rtf single_player_species_novariant.rtf (3.5 KB, 743 views)
Inyri Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005   #4

Fear-No-Evil is a n00b

Thanks Inyri, helped loads
And yeah, the !sos! skins are in the customiseable section.

Old May 10th, 2005   #5

Fear-No-Evil is a n00b

*sorry cant edit last post made it 4 hours ago *
OK, Tried following single_player_species_novariant, but I don't know where MENUS.str is. I can't find it anywhere.

Old May 10th, 2005   #6
I'm too cool to Post

Jedi Marso has disabled reputation

Here's a couple things you can do. Don't know how much you are into modding, but it isn't too hard.

1. Without downloading anything, you can play as any character in the game. Simply drop the console and type (without the quotes) 'playermodel x' were x is the name of the model you want to play. For example, if you want to play as a TIE pilot, type 'playermodel stormpilot' into the console and it will change your model. If you do this with any of the Jedi characters, you will get their sabers and forcepowers as well, but you can modify these as needed with other cheat codes. A complete listing of all the playermodels is available on JK2 files.

2. Now, for downloaded models/skins.

Step 1: Get pakscape from the tools section. You can use it to open PK3 files and import and export out of them.

Step 2: Whatever model/skin you want to use in SP, put a copy of the UNMODIFIED (ie- the way you downloaded it) PK3 file in the base folder for JA.

Step 3: Open a copy of the PK3 file with pakscape. There will be several folders. Until you are more familiar with playing around with these things, handle it like this: delete every folder except the one named 'models'. Then open models, and you'll see another folder named 'players'. Open that folder and there should be a folder with the name of the character you have downloaded. How you handle the next part depends on whether you want to do this in JO or JA:

For JO: Simply re-name the folder from whatever character name it had to 'kyle'. If this is more than just a skin, make sure the model.glm file is included in the folder, then save it under a new name. Drop it in your base folder along with the unmodified version of the PK3 and you should be good to go.

For JA: If your new character is going to be a Jedi, rename the folder kyle, o luke, or jedi, or whatever player from the SP game you don't mind replacing. If not a jedi, use another of the NPC's from the master list of charactermodels. Just make sure the spelling is the same. Make sure the model.glm file is already included in the folder, and then save it with a new name. Drop the modified pk3 into your base directory along with the unmodified pk3 file. Now when you load the game, drop the console and type 'playermodel x' where x is the name of the playermodel you replaced in your mod. You new SP will come up. If you replaced a jedi character, it will have that character's saber and force powers. If not, it won't.

3. NOTE: Failure to put an unmodified version of the pk3 in the base folder will result in one of two things: In JO, your SP model will be invisible in 3rd person perspective and will disappear from cutscenes. In JA, your playermodel will spawn as either invisible or a stormtrooper after you type in 'playermodel x', again where x is the name of your altered playermodel.

4. There are probably more ways to accomplish the same thing, but this is the way I use. You can also modify the NPCS files in JO to change playermodels around and sabercolors, etc, but I haven't been able to access the NPC files of JA to do similar things. (They list as read-only and won't let me save in notepad when I make changes.) Someone else may know a completely easier way of doing this- what I've learned has been mostly through trial and error. Enjoy!!
Jedi Marso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005   #7
[Insert User Title Here]

Inyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured OneInyri Forge - the Honoured One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear-no-Evil
but I don't know where MENUS.str is. I can't find it anywhere.
Yes, apparently I should have made reference to where it is. It should be in assets0.pk3 (I think, otherwise it's assets1) in the strings directory, in the English folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Marso
but I haven't been able to access the NPC files of JA to do similar things. (They list as read-only and won't let me save in notepad when I make changes.)
Go to the preferences of the file and unclick read-only
Old June 15th, 2005   #8
I don't spend enough time here

Darth Plagus Annihilus has disabled reputation

Can i just ask a semi relevant question?

Jedi Marso said that the unmodified .pk3 had to be in the Gamedata/Base folder as it was being edited, is this the same for downloaded sabers that want to be converted from MP - SP?
Darth Plagus Annihilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005   #9
[Insert User Title Here]

If you want a mod to work it must be placed in the base folder. There are certain instances where this isn't the case, but for small mods (skins, weapons, etc) it will almost always be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Marso
3. NOTE: Failure to put an unmodified version of the pk3 in the base folder will result in one of two things: In JO, your SP model will be invisible in 3rd person perspective and will disappear from cutscenes. In JA, your playermodel will spawn as either invisible or a stormtrooper after you type in 'playermodel x', again where x is the name of your altered playermodel.
If that's what your talking about, that's probably more for people who haven't the slightest clue what they're doing. It's good to keep a backup, in case you screw something up, but if yo u know what you're doing it's probably not necessary.
Old June 16th, 2005   #10
I don't spend enough time here

Darth Plagus Annihilus has disabled reputation

Oh well i just converte 30+ sabers to single and none of them appear in the menu so i am grasping at every string now.
Darth Plagus Annihilus is offline   Reply With Quote