Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Star Wars: Jedi Knight Series > Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy > SW:JK3 Modding, Mapping and Editing

Remember Me?

SW:JK3 Modding, Mapping and Editing Want more info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders, Mappers, Skinners, etc.? This is your Spot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2011   #1
jediwannabe on

Jeff_Katarn has nothing to be ashamed ofJeff_Katarn has nothing to be ashamed of
Default Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 Duels Mod

UPDATE: We have now a ModDB page.

I am starting a Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) mod. It is not the entire game, only the duels:
  1. Qu Rahn vs. the Dark Jedi
  2. Kyle vs. Yun
  3. Kyle vs. Maw
  4. Kyle vs. Sariss
  5. Dark Kyle vs. Yun
  6. Kyle vs. Boc
  7. Dark Kyle vs. Boc
  8. Kyle vs. Jerec
  9. Dark Kyle vs. Jerec
The player will be able to choose the character, like in Movie Duels 2.
Dark Kyle uses only Dark Side powers. Kyle himself uses only Light Side powers after the duel against Maw.
And I will try to convert the SMACKER DF2 videos to ROQ which JA uses, if LucasArts allow me to do so.
I need:
  • Skinners;
  • Mappers;

Well, what I have now to do the mod:
  • Dark Forces 2 Skin Pack by Darth Phae
  • VOTJ duel map and Barons Hed duel map, by Plasma
  • Many hilts by Trauma Sensei
  • Yun's lightsaber by Inyri Forge
  • Maw's lightsaber by Marchus Williams (RED SITH)
  • The SMACKER DF2 videos in AVI
  • Sariss duel map (JEDI BATTLEGROUND), by... well, I don't know who made it
  • Valley Tower by Inyri Forge
As you can see, I have the bricks but I only need to join them.

Phae gave me permission to use the skin pack. Trauma Sensei lets anyone use his hilts as long as he is credited. JW granted me permission too.

I hope someone can help me.

UPDATE: 13/01/2011:
It will have four extras. One is canon, three are non-canon.

1-Dark Side of the Kyle (Emperor Katarn vs. Jedi Kyle)
The now mighty Emperor must destroy the light side within him to completely seize the Valley's power and restore the shadows to the galaxy...

2-Second Valley Raid (Jedi Kyle vs. Desann)
After a mission to Dathomir, Kyle has his connection to the Force cut. To regenerate it, he goes to the Valley of the Jedi, without knowing that a Dark Jedi is following him...

3-Rise of the Katarn Empire (Emperor Katarn vs. Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker)
Katarn is now a powerful Emperor. But to conquer the galaxy, he must destroy the Jedi forever. In a mission to the Jedi Academy, he faces two Jedi Masters in a fierce duel...

And the last. It is completely canon.

4-The Sith Menace (Kyle Katarn vs. Darth Caedus)
A Sith seized the control of the Galactic Alliance and is inside the Senate Building. Kyle Katarn is sent by Skywalker to destroy this rising menace to the republic, just like Yoda tried to destroy Sidious...

Now, some screenshots.

Main Background
Spoiler:

Duel Selection Menu (not complete yet)
Spoiler:

Splash Screen
Spoiler:

Kyle vs. Yun
Spoiler:

Kyle vs. Jerec
Spoiler:

Kyle vs. Boc
Spoiler:

[Vader makes a pinching motion and Motti starts choking]
Darth Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Last edited by Jeff_Katarn; January 20th, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: update
Jeff_Katarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011   #2
kitty dances for rep!
Council Elder

minilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good job
Default Re: Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 Duels Mod

I was going to make some DF2 models soon, probably starting with Jerec but rather than trying to start up a new mod maybe you should see if the old DF2 mod is still going on. From what I remember they were really starting to get the maps going as they had a way to open the DF2 maps and recreate them in radiant.
minilogoguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011   #3
jediwannabe on

Jeff_Katarn has nothing to be ashamed ofJeff_Katarn has nothing to be ashamed of

That ol' Dark Forces 2 mod is stopped for sure. Their leader disappeared. But, how could them open the DF2 maps and recreate? DF2 uses the Jedi engine, JA uses the Q3 engine.

Their last update: April 21, 2009

Last edited by Jeff_Katarn; January 2nd, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2011   #4
Fencer, Lifter, & Dancer

katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'

I'll provide stances for the characters if you are interested.

I did some for Kyle for the Mysteries of the Sith mod already. I even got the good ol double swing done too. Kinda rough looking now since it was the first attack animation I ever made.
katanamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011   #5
kitty dances for rep!
Council Elder

minilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good job

Meh, stances are OK to change but IMO all swings should just remain the same. Even though the fighting was vastly different than JA, JA is leaps and bounds ahead of DF2 but that's my opinion as I play JA online quite a bit and find it's saber system to be pretty perfect as is. Probably the reason why I can't stand TFU.
Old January 2nd, 2011   #6
Fencer, Lifter, & Dancer

katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'

I agree with you. I made the double swing replace the lunge special move of the dual sabers and just set up the single sabers to use it via .sab files. All attack swings were base JA swings which are superior to JK.
katanamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011   #7
jediwannabe on

Well, it would be pretty good to have a DF2 stance. It would be more realistic.
And I saw that they managed to convert the JK maps to BSPs. With the SAME textures. No, I can't stand that. How were they supposed to make a remake mod with the same map textures? It's like making a mod for a game that is the game itself. Well, only characters and gameplay change.
Katanamaru, I downloaded one of your stances pack and it is pretty good. You are the best stance maker around here, 'nuff said.
In DF2, Kyle's saber stands a little lower and more to the right than the red stance. And it is close to the armpit. After I will PM you for some details about the ingame stances.
minilogoguy18, are you joining us? If no, give us feedback when the alpha version is released. If yes, can you make Gorc/Pic models?

And I have just converted the SMACKER video files to AVI. All right. But AVI to ROQ is AWFUL! Any ideas?

Old January 2nd, 2011   #8
kitty dances for rep!
Council Elder

They were only using the old maps as reference though to my knowledge they were either going to recreate them totally or use the old and just have higher res textures made. More than likely though remake them as there might be some sort of copyright infringement if they just retextured the originals. Even still they would have awesome interactive reference to go by so that they could remake them perfectly.

I'd be willing to help with a full scale TC as long as you find texture artists to work on my models as I'm not that great at painting textures. The main thing next to that is to get someone to map or you yourself take up mapping and figure out how they got the old DF2 maps into radiant or any other software where it can be viewed as playing the game for reference would be painstaking and take a lot more time.

It's hard to get motivated to join a mod though without having the people to work on it, mappers are going to be the largest part. Animations too, Gorc, Pic and Maw will all require their own unique skeleton and animation set which I can do but it's still a lot of work and would be nice if there was 1 other person to help. Katana, feel like finally learning XSI?

Last edited by minilogoguy18; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2011   #9
GF is my bext friend *hugs GF*

DarthStevenus is someone we should all be proud ofDarthStevenus is someone we should all be proud of

You can download the map editor for DF2 can't you? I'm sure it's on here somewhere
The Massassi Temple: #1 Source For Everything Jedi Knight

EDIT: I'm sure you already know what to do to convert the videos to roq but if not this might help.
Creating .roq video.

I was looking for an actual tutorial I saw just a couple days ago but now when I click the link from google it takes me to hornysingles.com or some crap (it f*cking figures, comes up when I don't need it and hides when I do need it ).

My maps on JK3files: http://jediknight3.filefront.com/dev...Stevenus;28613

When life gives you lemons, be Batman.

Last edited by DarthStevenus; January 2nd, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
DarthStevenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011   #10
jediwannabe on

We have Maw, and Maw with legs, minilogue. And we don't need many maps. We need to modify the Duel_VOTJ map so that it has another room, the map of the Gorc/Pic duel, a map of the duel in the Vengeance and convert the Rock Oasis JK2 map to JK3. Knights of the Force has it converted but I tried to extract it, the map worked, but it has those annoying gray squares and white stripes (no, not the rock band).

Mr. Stevenus, I will try it. Maybe I manage to get it. But if we get Plasma's help it would be GREAT, because he has great experience in mapmaking, created two DF2 maps and works for MBII.

EDIT: The ROQ videos are screwed up, really. I used the Quake Video Maker. I wonder how did the guys from the old DF2 mod converted it.

Last edited by Jeff_Katarn; January 2nd, 2011 at 04:34 PM.