Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Star Wars: Jedi Knight Series > Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy > SW:JK3 Modding, Mapping and Editing

Remember Me?

SW:JK3 Modding, Mapping and Editing Want more info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders, Mappers, Skinners, etc.? This is your Spot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2009   #1
Fencer, Lifter, & Dancer

katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'
Default Jar'Kai Niman style

While I'm waiting on people to get back to me on my Link animations (hint hint), I thought I would start on my next project.

Dual saber style,

Jar'Kai Niman

I never really liked the dual style. It always seemed too flashy, and not practical enough. So now that I know I can make saber style animations I'm going to make a new one.

There are 3 main goals for this style:
1. make the attacks practical and with minimum flash. For an idea of what I'm going for they will be very similar to the default yellow style. They should all attack across the torso/sternum of an opponet.

2. make the style JO model friendly. I'm going to accomplish this by not messing with the left hand tag. This will lead to the wrist being bent a little more than would be comfortable and practical, but will allow all the custom JO models to fight on a level playing field with JA models.

3. implement a counter attack system. I'm going to do this by changing the 'bounce back' animations (when a parry is succesful) with a counter stab. This will be rather quick and directed straight ahead so that the opponet has a chance to dodge.

Here is what I've got started with:
The stance is meant to be defensive. It is a modified 'niten ryu' stance that I like. I took that stance and made it more relaxed.

The forward attack. All the attacks swing one saber and then the other. So each swing should cut across the opponet at about the same place. The individual swings are not that fast, but as a one-two move they are good. They will also have the same type of arc and speed as the default yellow style.

This attack is a rough draft. I just wanted to make sure that my plans for animating the attacks would work out.

On a side note: from here on out I'm making all my animations open to whomever wants to use them. I'll still work with the mod teams I currently am engaged with, but any individual or mod team can use my animations if they want to.

Last edited by katanamaru; December 18th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
katanamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #2
You are reading this.

DuketheLuke should make some friends
Send a message via Yahoo to DuketheLuke
Default Re: Jar'Kai Niman style

Nice, never seen that style before
DuketheLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009   #3
Master FUFer

Botdra Lar'les is generally helpfulBotdra Lar'les is generally helpful
Send a message via Skype™ to Botdra Lar'les

I hate to be 'that guy', but what saber mod is that? Beautiful blades.

And the post of the year award goes to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel94 View Post
so that mod is pretty much dead now? oh well, i have TFU:USE on my pc anyway. it's a much better solution than just waiting for JAU
...joel94!!
Botdra Lar'les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009   #4
Fencer, Lifter, & Dancer

katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'katanamaru knows it's spelt 'colour'

massassi.net
ja mods
sbx-ja sabers v2

or
jo mods
sbx jk v5

Can't remember off hand which one it is. I trimmed out all the extras.
Old December 19th, 2009   #5
Om nom nom

sinchiss is a n00b

And I hate to be 'that other guy', but what's the name Niman doing in there? The dual form is simply called Jar'Kai. Niman is basically built up of all the essential and fundamental parts of Jar'Kai, but is restricted to the use of one lightsaber only.

Yes, I did post that partly because I'm bored and felt like sharing with the world how big of a nerd I am. But if you plan to release it, make sure you only name it Jar'Kai.

Last edited by sinchiss; December 19th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
sinchiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009   #6
kitty dances for rep!
Council Elder

minilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good jobminilogoguy18 does a good job

Gonna post vids like you did for your Link animations? It would be much easier to look at in motion.
minilogoguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009   #7
Fencer, Lifter, & Dancer

I added Niman because I read/heard/whatever that Niman was the fundamentals to Jar'Kai, but that a practitioner could also use Ataru as a basis for Jar'Kai. So basically you could have Jar'Kai with an emphasis on Niman (my version) or Ataru (base JA version). That's why.

I'll post vids when I get more to show off than the stance and one swing. On the plus side the only base animation I've used so far for this is the red stance. I'm going to be trying to make all the attacks and such my self.
Old December 20th, 2009   #8
Om nom nom

sinchiss is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinchiss View Post
Niman is basically built up of all the essential and fundamental parts of Jar'Kai, but is restricted to the use of one lightsaber only.
Yeah sorry, an unfortunate slip of the...uh, finger. I meant Jar'Kai is based off Niman, with the main difference being that Jar'Kai utilizes two blades instead of just one. So my point remains the same. As for the Ataru-Jar'Kai theory though, I don't really see how that can make any sense, with the vast differences between the two forms. Then again I've been wrong about this kinda thing before, so I'll stop hassling you about it.

Anyway! From what I can see, the anims are looking pretty sweet. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by sinchiss; December 20th, 2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo
sinchiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009   #9
One and only...

GlitchMasterShmit should know better by now

Ah, this will go great with a Darth Revan model/skin.

Do the evolution, baby.

GlitchMasterShmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009   #10
Fencer, Lifter, & Dancer

Yeah I hope it turns out nice. If Gir comes back I'll see if he wants to add it to the Revan model for sp. If not I'll continue work as normal.