Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Star Wars: Jedi Knight Series > Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy > SW:JK3 Modding, Mapping and Editing

Remember Me?

SW:JK3 Modding, Mapping and Editing Want more info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders, Mappers, Skinners, etc.? This is your Spot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2008   #1
Luke, use the beer!

Phildevil should make some friends
Default GIMP gun textures tutorial(s)

Hi, I have search for a long time now a totorial that could help in the creation of gun textures on The GIMP (or photoshop, even if that require more analysis). Because I did not found out, I would like it very much if you could point me out in the right direction.
Phildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008   #2
(JAWA) Leader

SiLink should make some friends
Send a message via MSN to SiLink
Default Re: GIMP gun textures tutorial(s)

I am pretty sure that gun texture creation is the same as any iother type of texture creation.. once you know how to create textures right then you can look into realism which to be honest is best left up to your own experience.

These tutorials may help you:
Qbranch - Tutorials
Qbranch - Tutorials
Qbranch - Tutorials

However I'm not entirely sure which programs they cover (they are the only skinning tutorials on the master sticky)

Also try:

Bael's Skinning Tutorial Video, Jedi Knight 3 Downloads, Jedi Knight 3 Others

and

Jedi Knight Files - Custom Skinning Tutorial by Ravensoft's Michael Gummelt
SiLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008   #3
Luke, use the beer!

Yeah, well I already found-out these, but I did not find them that useful. Besides, I tryed making Qbranchs' but they aren't enough specific, specially on the channel part. About the other one, I think they may be good for a skinner. However, I do plan working to create textures for a JKA mod, but I'll let the one that creates map and models the «fun» to applicate those.
Old April 17th, 2008   #4
EAT ME!

NAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a ModeratorNAB622 is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via AIM to NAB622

The gun textures are just randomly placed shapes in a JPG image that Raven made to fit onto the gun.
Kinda silly in one way, although it DOES save on textures to load. But it's that much harder to reskin it.
NAB622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008   #5
Luke, use the beer!

Yeah, but I don't mind skinning, I just wan't to make the textures for them.
Old April 20th, 2008   #6
Luke, use the beer!

Come on guys, don't tell me those Qbranch are the only tutorials that shows how to make gun textures on the net...
Old April 20th, 2008   #7
-_-'

Mikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a ModeratorMikouen is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Mikouen Send a message via MSN to Mikouen

Your problem isn't that there are no gun textures. The problem is that you're looking for specific tutorials.

What are guns made out of? Work out the materials you're trying to texture and find hints on texturing said materials. I wouldn't look for "car texturing tutorials", I'd look for tutorials telling me how I'd create metallic textures.

Look at the bigger picture rather than working under the effects of target fixation.

Texture tutorials are a tricky lot, though, since you need experience and general skill to apply what you've learned from the tutorial to an entirely different scenario. People expect tutorials to tell them how to do any specific task, but that's an impossible element, all they can do is give you the knowledge to apply it. Learning how to apply said knowledge is entirely up to you.

But, that's sort of soapboxing. Broaden your search to more generalized tutorials, and you shall find.
Mikouen is offline   Reply With Quote