Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Star Wars: Empire At War > SW:EaW Modding, Mapping and Editing

Remember Me?

SW:EaW Modding, Mapping and Editing Want more info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders, Mappers, Skinners, etc.? This is your Spot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2013   #1
GF Pwns Me!

EarvenJ is a n00b
Default Copying hero abilities

I run into trouble copying abilities from one space hero unit to another space hero unit.

It is most annoying trying to give a Rebel hero unit Thrawn's ship_reveal ability. I copied the ability code: doesn't work. I copied the behaviour tags: doesn't work. I even duplicated Thrawn's entry and gave the copy the name of the new unit: doesn't work.

I'm lost... Any ideas?
EarvenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013   #2
Modding, Coding, Pwning

Blood Asp is nobody special
Default Re: Copying hero abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvenJ View Post
I run into trouble copying abilities from one space hero unit to another space hero unit.

It is most annoying trying to give a Rebel hero unit Thrawn's ship_reveal ability. I copied the ability code: doesn't work. I copied the behaviour tags: doesn't work. I even duplicated Thrawn's entry and gave the copy the name of the new unit: doesn't work.

I'm lost... Any ideas?
It should be easy to just C&P, I've added space units to existing heroes and abilities to those space units and such.
Blood Asp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013   #3
Sword Of The Jedi

AUS_Doug should make some friends

Are you sure you copied it into the right part of the abilities code?
Some units have two different ability sections. (Some abilities may also need code in two sections i.e, Flame thrower)

NORMALLY the abilities with UI functionality - you press a button, something happens (Boba Fett's flamethrower etc.) - goes first in the tag
Code:
<Unit_Abilities_Data SubObjectList="Yes">
Spoiler:
<Unit_Ability> <Type>FLAME_THROWER</Type> <Recharge_Seconds>28.0</Recharge_Seconds> <GUI_Activated_Ability_Name> Boba_Fett_Flame_Thrower </GUI_Activated_Ability_Name> <!-- GUI Command Bar support --> <Supports_Autofire>True</Supports_Autofire> </Unit_Ability>
</Unit_Abilities_Data>
And then comes some code that - in Boba's case - tells the unit HOW to use that ability. This is inside
Code:
<Abilities SubObjectList="Yes">
Spoiler:
<Personal_Flame_Thrower_Ability Name="Boba_Fett_Flame_Thrower"> <Activation_Style> User_Input </Activation_Style> <!-- We need to be within this distance of the clicked target to consider activating the flame thrower --> <Activation_Min_Range>0.0</Activation_Min_Range> <Activation_Max_Range>100.0</Activation_Max_Range> <Damage_Arc_In_Degrees>90.0</Damage_Arc_In_Degrees> <Damage_Amount>225.0</Damage_Amount> <Fire_Time_In_Secs>10.0</Fire_Time_In_Secs> <Damage_Delay_In_Secs>0.5</Damage_Delay_In_Secs> <!-- We only consider the following unit types "valid targets": --> <Applicable_Unit_Categories>All</Applicable_Unit_Categories> <Applicable_Unit_Types /> <SFXEvent_Activate>Unit_Flamethrower_Fire</SFXEvent_Activate> <Flame_Emitter_Model_Name>p_flamethrower00</Flame_Emitter_Model_Name> </Personal_Flame_Thrower_Ability>
</Abilities>
Excuse the poor formatting of that example - Have a look at Boba's entry in the 'Namedherounits.xml'

What does this have to do with your issue?
With Thrawn's code they've done it backwards; they did
Code:
Which has Thrawns ship reveal etc. (In this case all his 'passive' abilities)
first instead of
Code:
Which has the 'Power to Wepaons' ability.

I believe what YOU may have done is to put Thrawn's ship reveal inside of the
Code:
tag, instead of the
Code:
tag.

ALTHOUGH: Reading the part where you mention duplicating and renaming the Thrawn entry would suggest that the above is not your problem.
Have any other changes you've made taken effect?
If not, it could be a Windows UAC thing.

In any case, even if this wasn't of help, it's been a while since I posted something here.
AUS_Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013   #4
GF Pwns Me!

EarvenJ is a n00b

Thanks a lot AUS_Doug, it was exactly as you suggested: I mixed up both tags. I put the ability in the right tag and now it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
EarvenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013   #5
Modding, Coding, Pwning

Blood Asp is nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvenJ View Post
Thanks a lot AUS_Doug, it was exactly as you suggested: I mixed up both tags. I put the ability in the right tag and now it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
That's what I assumed you did just didn't bother to explain I guess :/, oh well, glad you fixed it!
Blood Asp is offline   Reply With Quote