Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Star Trek: Elite Force Series > ST:EF Problems, Errors and Help

Remember Me?

ST:EF Problems, Errors and Help Elite Force not working? Need Help? Post all your problems here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2009   #1
Slightly cooler than a n00b

jzmoney is a n00b
Default EF in Win7

I can't get the game to install in Windows 7. I tried the compatability mode, but it doesn't work. The installer simply doesn't run. All that happens is a security box asking if I want to let the program make changes which I answer yes.

Edit:
Although it seems to work just fine if you copy the entire cd to your HDD and run it from there.

Last edited by Tricorder; December 9th, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Merged double post.
jzmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009   #2
The Internet ends at GF

GSIO01 has nothing to be ashamed ofGSIO01 has nothing to be ashamed of
Default Re: EF in Win7

I don't have Win 7 so I don't know for sure but I suggest the same as for Vista: Set compability to Win XP and run as admin (applies for both setup and the game executeables).

If everything else fails you can manually copy the game files from the disk, as ID Tech 3 games don't need any registry entries and so on to work. Just make sure all files are at the right locations.
Also if you don't have the expansion pack the 1.2 patch should work as far as I remember, you only might need to specify EFs install directory by yourself.
GSIO01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009   #3
Slightly cooler than a n00b

jzmoney is a n00b

I got it to work.

I'm not sure what did it exactly. I set the compatibility mode for Win XP SP2 and ran as an administrator. Also, I end-tasked everything I could. I disabled Norton completely. Whatever was preventing it from running was no longer interferring. I just don't know which it was.

Edit: Oh, and I set the visual graphics to windows traditional or whatever looks like '98. i don't think that was important though since the compatibility mode will set it to win7 basic for xp mode.

Edit2: I just installed the expansion without using the compatibility mode at all. So I'm thinking it was a background service that was preventing the setup from running.

Last edited by jzmoney; December 10th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
jzmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009   #4
[dM] President/HZM Head

Chrissstrahl should make some friends
Send a message via ICQ to Chrissstrahl Send a message via AIM to Chrissstrahl Send a message via MSN to Chrissstrahl Send a message via Yahoo to Chrissstrahl Send a message via Skype™ to Chrissstrahl

Norton is know to take over absolute control, you might want to check if that is the case here.
Chrissstrahl is offline   Reply With Quote