Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > The Sims Series > The Sims Problems, Errors and Help

Remember Me?

The Sims Problems, Errors and Help Post all your problems related to The Sims here!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2009   #1
For the glory of Helghan
Defender of the Dark

Shintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to things
Send a message via MSN to Shintsu
Default Sims 3 Save unaccessable

Okay, well I just spent several hours with my sim and customizing stuff etc etc and today I go to open up the file (In Sunset Valley) and the Sim's name is Shintsu Magomi but when I look at the bottom on the first screen all it shows is that dotted outline of like a family that hasn't been designed yet and it says Ramirez. Wtf is this shit? I opened the Sims 3 folder under My Doucments and looked under my saves and I have a Sunset Valley save and even a Sunset Valley.backup save and they're 21.8 mb and 31.4 mb so they're not too small or anything. I looked under saved sims and there is a file for Shintsu Magomi.

I had downloaded and installed some new items from the Sim store so thinking that screwed it up I uninstalled everything I just installed into it and it still won't show up. The save files are right here but the damned game doesn't see them. If I click the Ramirez family and just click play it won't start. It acts like I have no saves and wants me to make a new game. What is the problem!? Is there a way to manually override the bullshit launcher menu so it starts my save game? Help much appreciated, I'll probably have to let this one sit for a few weeks if it just FUBARed everything I did...

Accept my rule or perish in opposition...
Shintsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009   #2
For the glory of Helghan
Defender of the Dark

Shintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to things
Default Re: Sims 3 Save unaccessable

Problem resolved, the save was corrupted. I renamed the backup save to the same name as the main save, deleted the old corrupted save and boom it worked. If anyone else has any such problems with their saves not working, manually rename your .backup save by taking the .backup out and see if that works. Thankfully that backup saved a lot of work I had done.

On a related note, EA's customer service line is very friendly. The girl I spoke to on the phone was American (A surprise as I'm sure many will agree when talking about customer service centers) and even chatted with me about some other things (Heh, like Oblivion and Fallout 3 when mentioning I have like 350 saves in Oblivion). I don't know why this support number wasn't listed on their site (I couldn't find it, but I didn't look too hard - I googled it and found it no probs). Anyways, hope this helps someone else out!
grommie likes this.

Old June 6th, 2009   #3
I'm too cool to Post

Skywatcher17 is a n00b

Thanks muchly for this! The same thing happened to me, and I was panicking in case I would have to have restarted my entire game. This was only the second time I loaded the game, since I loaded it yesterday (just after I bought it!), and I don't tend to shut down my PC often (I prefer hibernate). So yeah...thanks again!
grommie likes this.
Skywatcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009   #4
I'm too cool to Post

belefauntes is a n00b

Dang! And I spent all this time typing this up for nothin! LOL! Well, here was my advise, maybe it'll help someone else:

Depending on how far you went should determine the appropriate response.

If you:

Spent the time to design your Sim, then just saved the Sim under the individual save options

Then:

You didn't actual "create a family" or "create a household", per se. IF this is the case:

1) Load The Sims 3.
2) Create a NEW game with the "+" icon (assuming you don't already have a saved game showing up) and click the check mark icon to "Play".
3) Select "Create Sims" (trust me here).
4) Click on the "Premade Sims" button. It's the one with 6 head silhouettes.
5) When the Premade Sims window comes up, set the gender and age brackets to whatever they were for the Sim you created.
6) Search through the list of Sims til you find yours (there will be a folder icon in the lower right corner of their image) and click the "Accept" button (the check mark bubble at the bottom right of the Premade Sims window).
7) Assuming you don't want to make any more Sims for this "family", click the "Accept" button (again, the check mark bubble) located at the bottom-left of your screen... at the right-most end of the available options. If you haven't finished the "Personality" portion of your Sim, you will be prompted to do so now.
8) You will now see a framed photo of your Sim. This is the point of no return. If you have any last-minute changes to make, click the Cancel button (the X bubble). If you're ready to play, click the Accept button (the check bubble).
9) Next you will either select a pre-built house or an empty lot to build upon. If you select a prebuilt house, you have the option of having it furnished with all the basic amenities.
10) Play. You should be able to figure it out from here, especially if you follow the tutorial advise.

If you just made your Sim and saved them, follow steps 1 through 10. If you went as far as creating a family, but didn't move them into a house or lot, follow steps 1 and 2, then instead of going to "Create Sim" at step 3, instead go to "Move in Household". This will let you select your "family" from the available list. Then move onto steps 9 and 10.

If you made your Sim, made a "family", AND moved them into a house (or lot), then follow step 1, select your saved game (provided you remembered to save it), and it should automatically take you to your Sim's home. If you forgot to save your game, any steps after creating your family have been lost, and you must refer to the paragraph above. If you DID save your game, and it's STILL not showing up... something is borked. I suggest referring to the paragraph above, choose a house, save your game, exit out, and try reloading it to make sure it's all working A-OK. If it still won't bring up your "family" and their house... contact Electronic Arts.

Hope this was helpful.
belefauntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009   #5
I'm too cool to Post

Relatela is a n00b

OMG Thank you so much! I created an account just because I had to thank you! I thought I lost the Mapus forever!
Relatela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009   #6
I'm too cool to Post

joeygambino is a n00b

like one of the previous posters, i created my account just to thank you. this worked perfectly. now i'll just have to get a new keyboard after putting my fist through the original thinking i'd lost all my hard work.
joeygambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009   #7
For the glory of Helghan
Defender of the Dark

Good to know my stressing and resolution helped people out. I'm not sure why The Sims 3 has this problem so much - of all games to have problems with saves The Sims 3 is arguably the worst game for it to happen. It's not like losing a save in something like CoD where you just have to do a level over - it's a lot of unique events and work that can be lost. I really wish EA would work out the problems with The Sims 3's errors, I get "Unable to save" errors all the time. I save so much when playing just to avoid losing my info. I literally save every 10 minutes, it sucks because it interrupts the flow of the game. Several patches so far and I haven't seen any resolve the issue yet...methinks EA didn't do very much beta testing for this game, and it's very stupid since the Sims is a hit game...

Old December 29th, 2009   #8
I'm too cool to Post

dollsteak is a n00b

Hi everybody,

I have similar problem but what is worse, I have no backup files. I mean I have a folder sims 3 and sims 3 backup but when I open it, there are no files with "backup" at the end. They all have "nhd" at the end and they dont even have the sims 3 icon, it seems like everything is crashed. Im so tired of this because this is second time something like that happened to me in sims 3 and my sim was already rich, had beautiful beach house and was on the top of medical career. Then I wanted to play and everything seemed ok, I could see my sim when the game was loading but after that it didnt take me to his house but to the town, I found my sim in households with no houses. He had no career no house and poor founds. Is there a chance to correct this? Im so tired to do everything from the start.
dollsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010   #9
I'm too cool to Post

brittanyv326 is a n00b

I spent like 3 hours building a house on an empty lot, went to edit town, saved, then *just in case* saved and exited. I got back on and my only family was in the household library and that house? GONE. It's an empty lot. I almost started crying because I'm so pissed off, I tried changing the backup files and reloaded sims and it didn't do anything. Nothing changed. I don't want to start over in case I find some way to get it back to the way it was, but I haven't found any other solutions. =(

EDIT: Not only is my family out of their house, they're also back at the very beginning. They were engaged, pregnant, and adults, in the middle of their careers, now they're young adults without jobs and low skills. GOD I'M SO MAD.

Last edited by brittanyv326; January 1st, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
brittanyv326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010   #10
I'm too cool to Post

Boyshiny is a n00b

ok similar problem, im not gonna express my emotions cause i just wanna sort this out. I had that problem of loading and it was saying "please restart application", which at first i thought meant restart sims 3... i restarted, game wouldnt load, changed the back up to the name of the save, and when i loaded the game it said that the save has got packages from a expansion that i havent got. I have all the expansions (world adventures, ambitions, late nights, high end loft and fast lane stuff pack) How can i make this work without having to start all over again?
Boyshiny is offline   Reply With Quote