Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Pub

Remember Me?

The Pub Intelligent discussion and debate on real-life issues. You can also visit the History and Warfare forum | This is not a game support forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2014   #1
Notable Loser

Commissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limit
Send a message via MSN to Commissar MercZ Send a message via Yahoo to Commissar MercZ
Default Affair allegations against French president

This is probably the last thing Hollande needs considering his popularity being low as it is. The news was broken by a celebrity magazine which provided pictures showing Hollande coming and going from the apartment of an actress, Julie Gayet. While not married, Hollande is in a long-term relationship with journalist Valerie Trierweiler, a journalist for another celebrity magazine. Hollande was also in a similar relationship with fellow party member Ségolène Royal with whom he had four children with before breaking up with her. Trierweiler has occupied the role of first lady for France in any event, and the news affected her enough to be hospitalized.

I did find it interesting though that if this happened in the US, there'd be a noticeable hit on figures, but it doesn't seem to've done much for Hollande (though it's already pretty low to begin with). To the contrary, polling seems to back his position that the magazine invaded his privacy.

UPDATE 4-French first lady in hospital after reports of Hollande affair | Reuters

Quote:
PARIS, Jan 12 (Reuters) - French first lady Valerie Trierweiler has been admitted to hospital following reports of an affair between President Francois Hollande and an actress, but will be discharged on Monday, sources said on Sunday.

Daily newspaper Le Parisien said on its website earlier that Trierweiler, 48, had been taken to hospital after being shaken by a celebrity magazine's reports of a liaison between her partner Hollande and French actress Julie Gayet.

At home, the reports of Hollande's affair have had little effect on his image and French media at the weekend mainly focused on Closer's unprecedented breach of presidential privacy rather than on the alleged relationship with Gayet.

A poll by Ifop showed that 84 percent of the public had not changed their opinion about Hollande following news of the affair and that 77 percent considered it "a private affair that only concerns Francois Hollande".

"At the moment, the revelations about his liaison with Julie Gayet have no effect on public opinion. In fact, he is already so unpopular that there is no change," said Ifop analyst Frederic Dabi.

Last edited by Commissar MercZ; January 13th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Commissar MercZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014   #2
Wanna go Double Dutch?
Multi Award Winner

Status: Supplying you with hot fresh coffee and chocolate cake! :coffee:
Admiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finestAdmiral Donutz is Gaming Forums’ finest
Send a message via MSN to Admiral Donutz
Default Re: Affair allegations against French president

The French seem to react more like I would. Ofcourse secret affairs (cheating!) are unacceptable but they are a private matter between the partners who are involved in a relationship. I don't think I'd would care if our prime minister (Rutte, a bacehlor) would have an affair with mulitple women (sounds fair enough if they'd all agree on it) or even cheating on a partner (if he had one). The most important thing would be the actions of a policitian or party, are they getting anything done that I want them do get done? Do I trust them to to the best within their ability and power to fight for the promises made during the election? Those things matter the most. What they do in private matters a whole lot less, although with several incidents you may conclude that said person has a bad character, is not trustwhorthy etc. It would all depend on the context and scale of the incidents though.

For instance I'd write off Toronto's mayor due to lying about his drug use (denial), shouting, agression etc. I'd rather have him state in a calm manner that he did do drugs (or other things), why he did it and if he plans to do anything about it (be it personal actions or advocating changing the law).

Last edited by Admiral Donutz; January 19th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Admiral Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote