Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Pub

Remember Me?

The Pub Intelligent discussion and debate on real-life issues. You can also visit the History and Warfare forum | This is not a game support forum.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2013   #1
Notable Loser

Commissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limit
Send a message via MSN to Commissar MercZ Send a message via Yahoo to Commissar MercZ
Default Vigilantes

I was looking at a story about a guy dressed up like Batman who turned in a suspect to the police over in the UK. We've seen cases of costumed acts like that, but it brought me to the broader question of vigilantism.

I don't have much to say on this topic as I've never particularly thought much on it. It seems threads work better here when I don't say much, so what do you guys think about it?
Commissar MercZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013   #2
Hold my Stones

Fracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admiration
Default Re: Vigilantes

I think that people should stand aside and let the professionals do their work. They will end up causing more trouble and getting in the way.

The only vigilantism I support is the kind a father engages in when putting the fear of God in some punk trying to go out with his daughter. Other than that, I'll pass.
Schofield likes this.

Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013   #3
The Minister

Schofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via MSN to Schofield

The law isn't perfect but without it we have anarchy. And we all know how anarchy turns out.

I totally support Bruce Wayne, regardless of what I said above.
Ryojin and Cpt.Karnas like this.

Words
Words
That
That
Kill
Kill

Last edited by Schofield; March 4th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Schofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013   #4
Victim of Forgotten Hope
Forum bystander

Rikupsoni is a friend of the PeopleRikupsoni is a friend of the PeopleRikupsoni is a friend of the PeopleRikupsoni is a friend of the PeopleRikupsoni is a friend of the People

Citizen arrest is a good idea. It's perversion of justice if someone stopping a crime would himself get prosecuted. The citizen arrest law however should note that law enforcment must be called in as soon as possible and physical force (as little as possible) can be only used if the person is refusing to come to a halt or is himself using violence. Citizen arrests should mostly be for catching the criminal in the act though.

The problems of vigilantism mostly come from the mob-mentality that's a completely different thing than a citizen arrest. The social media is especially good at interpreting rumours and setting up a kangaroo court.

Last edited by Rikupsoni; March 4th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Rikupsoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013   #5
The Revolutionist

Cpt.Karnas is nobody special
Send a message via Yahoo to Cpt.Karnas

[QUOTE=Rikupsoni;5686064]Citizen arrest is a good idea. It's perversion of justice if someone stopping a crime would himself get prosecuted. The citizen arrest law however should note that law enforcment must be called in as soon as possible and physical force (as little as possible) can be only used if the person is refusing to come to a halt or is himself using violence. Citizen arrests should mostly be for catching the criminal in the act though.

I agree with this we should always let the professionals do their job but we should help them as much as we possibly can
Cpt.Karnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013   #6
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

Unless it's a madman with an AK-47, in which case, I'll let the "professionals" take all the credit

Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013   #7
I live on Gaming Forums

Asheekay is familiar with GFAsheekay is familiar with GFAsheekay is familiar with GF

It mainly depends on which is more important: law or justice? It also, to a lesser degree, depends on the situation, society values and the level of law enforcement.

For example, if you see a murderer getting boarding his private jet after killing a dozen citizens, you SHOULD pick up your 9mm and send him a bullet through the chest.

But if there has been a theft in your house and you set out on 'vigilant street justice' instead of reporting the police, it would certainly be creating chaos and lawlessness in the society.

There are times when being a witness for the court is the best option and then there are those when you should muster up all you can and stop a crime from happening.

In my opinion when you can stop a crime from happening, its good to be vigilante, but when a crime has already taken place and you cannot stop it, the best option is to let the law take action and you should provide them with helpful information instead of impeding their progress with a mess of your own.
Asheekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013   #8
Slightly cooler than a n00b

Zebracal should make some friends

There was one time a massive killings of petty criminals in my country before. Were a motorcycle duo shot down purse snatchers and muggers almost every night. After the killing they will leave a cardboard sign and it will always say the message "I'm a drug dealer, I'm a mugger, etc..." followed by "I needed to die so that this area can be a better place"
Zebracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013   #9
The forums staffers think I'm Cool

Kalessin has disabled reputation

It depends how adequate the legal provision is and what damage your action will cause to social harmony. Because those things are often difficult to calculate I'd tend to err on the side of letting the courts handle it in all but the most extreme of cases.

As to Batman, my opinion on the ideal state of affairs in that regard closely mirrors that of Robert Peel: The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

Which isn't quite the same as vigilantism, because the person arresting isn't serving as judge jury and executioner. But certainly seems to support an idea of citizen's arrest, (no duty without ability.) In practice citizen's arrest is rarely used though.
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013   #10

GameFront Assistant Network Manager

Goody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a ModeratorGoody. is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via MSN to Goody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar MercZ View Post
I was looking at a story about a guy dressed up like Batman who turned in a suspect to the police over in the UK. We've seen cases of costumed acts like that, but it brought me to the broader question of vigilantism.
That about 10 miles from me
I think we need more people to make a stand. However that has to be within the law so it would make sense to make people more aware of things like the correct procedure for making a citizens arrest and so on.
Goody. is offline   Reply With Quote