January 2nd, 2013
Join Date: May 26th, 2003
Status: Watching you....
Rep Power: 42
| | Re: 2012 and Conspiracies
- Because it makes people feel special to know a secret truth that no-one else does.
- Because if the world's out to get you then you matter.
- Because it helps to feel connected to some grand narrative or secret struggle.
- Because if you believe these things then you can understand something vast and terrifying, like a government, without actually putting in the hard work.
- Because you make some smaller investment and then the only way to stop looking silly is to make a slightly larger investment, and then you have to go a little bit further and all of a sudden you're lying, to yourself and others, about big things like how probability works.
- Because many people ain't too bright to start off with and if you don't read history, or about human behaviour, and never understood anything about probability and Occam's Razor and the like in the first place, then you're left using your emotions to try and work out some sort of truth, and this is an emotive sort of story.
- Because it provides access to an alternative success structure (at least in the case of cults and gatherings based around these issues) for people who are cut off from the possibility of advancement in their regular lives.
Lots of potential reasons spring to mind.
"Slippery slopes can be fun - kind of like a water slide."
- Larry, Burn Notice
Last edited by Nemmerle; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:17 AM.