Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Pub

Remember Me?

The Pub Intelligent discussion and debate on real-life issues. You can also visit the History and Warfare forum | This is not a game support forum.

View Poll Results: The Olympic Games are a waste of Money
Strongly Agree 8 19.05%
Agree 6 14.29%
Disagree 12 28.57%
Strongly Disagree 9 21.43%
Neither agree nor disagree 6 14.29%
Don't care 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008   #11
I would die without GF
Best Techie

Mr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super Moderator
Default Re: The Olympic Games are a waste of money?

Quote:
That would be a good idea, but no body in the dumb goberment(sorry Inyri) is going to consider that, no offense.
It's a matter for the IOC to decide, and the country can appeal to them if they want to increase spending. If they increase spending without an appeal, they don't host the Olympics ever again. Simple as that.

Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008   #12
Business Edition

Mr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finest

The Olympics aren't a waste of money, even when one considers the tremendous expense that goes towards preparing for them. You have to think about all of the indirect benefits that come from it.

To start with, local infrastructure often sees significant investment in the run-up to an Olympic event. The Commission considers such things as public transport, airports and roads when deciding where the Olympics are to be held, as well as other things such as security. In addition to this, in general governments often invest in various health and fitness programs such as building new facilities all across the country for potential Olympic athletes to train in, which local communities can benefit from. To say nothing of the great boon it can provide to the economy both on a national and local level, which local businesses around the Olympic event in particular can benefit from. And when the dust settles in 2012, after the various lunatics have finished running aimlessly around a track and throwing spiky objects around, Britain has a nice bundle of Olympic-standard facilities to use for other things in the future.

And this is ignoring the national pride and international spirit of friendly competition that the Olympics can generate.

I say, bring on the Olympics!

Mr. Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008   #13
Body: Earth. Mind: Jupiter.

nanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybody

its a nice sporting event between nations, that is enjoyable to watch
on another note, my school band (those that signed up to do this at least) and the CB West and (I think) CB East bands will be playing in the olympics in China

nanobot_swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008   #14
SFC III Troubleshooter.

AlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praisedAlDaja is often praised

Well I donít know if it is a waste of time, I think it does much for dedicated athletes, but if Iím their target audience, than yeah, they loose money via advertising dollars. I havenít paid attention to the Olympics since I was a kid.

AlDaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008   #15
The Great Charm

Ipse is an upstanding memberIpse is an upstanding memberIpse is an upstanding member
Send a message via MSN to Ipse Send a message via Skype™ to Ipse

Not much of a fan of sports, am for the most part a gamer, and so i vote, "don't care"

Ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008   #16
Idiot Action-Adventure Girl
Rock Dragon

Jill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good adviceJill is a person of good advice

Well...I think it is good to have the Olympic games although judges in the past seem to be partial. It kinda gives the world an opportunity to be together in competition without killing one another.

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008   #17
Self-Righteous Bullshit

themanclaw has been known to help peoplethemanclaw has been known to help people

I think that if you are going to call the Olympics and sports a waste of money, you also have to call movies and video games a waste of money because they are all highly expensive and serve the same purpose: Entertainment.

And I agree with Jill.

themanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008   #18
Body: Earth. Mind: Jupiter.

nanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybodynanobot_swarm is known by everybody

The Olympics are fun to watch, hopefully there will be more events like it

nanobot_swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008   #19
I would die without GF
Best Techie

Mr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super ModeratorMr. Pedantic is as cool as a Super Moderator

Quote:
Well...I think it is good to have the Olympic games although judges in the past seem to be partial. It kinda gives the world an opportunity to be together in competition without killing one another.
Ha ha, our school principal got death threats from the Yakuza after the Athens Olympics, after he judged the match between France and Japan. He made one controversial call in favor of France, and maybe because of that, France won. The Japanese obviously thought he was partial towards the French, but a panel of judges later proved he made the right call. So just because people think that a judge is partial to a certain team, most often that is not the case. Another thing that people don't realize is that it is one thing to 'referee' from the couch, another thing entirely to do it under international pressure in the event you have dedicated your life to. And at the level that the Olympics promotes such sports can often be so quick and moves be over so quickly, it can be very difficult to make any sort of definitive call.

Quote:
I think that if you are going to call the Olympics and sports a waste of money, you also have to call movies and video games a waste of money because they are all highly expensive and serve the same purpose: Entertainment.
Why does everyone assume that when I say something is a waste of money that I mean that I think it should be scrapped? And there is a difference. For the most part, movies and games are not funded extensively by the government.

Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008   #20
I'm too cool to Post

iamyou is a n00b

ahh crap i ahve this same debate day after tommorow and i affirmative too
iamyou is offline   Reply With Quote