Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Pub

Remember Me?

The Pub Intelligent discussion and debate on real-life issues. You can also visit the History and Warfare forum | This is not a game support forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2004   #1
Trekkie At Large.....

Greenvalv knows it's spelt 'colour'Greenvalv knows it's spelt 'colour'Greenvalv knows it's spelt 'colour'
Lightbulb Centripetal force, centrifugal force, and the Earth's rotation.

I was just thinking about weight. Now we're standing on a planet, a few thousand miles in diameter, rotating at about a thousand miles per hour. Now if there wasn't any gravity we'd float off into outer space due to centripetal force, right? But because of gravity we remain on the earth.

Now my point is, what would happen if the earth stopped spinning? Would we weigh twice as much? Would buildings collapse due to the added weight?

What are y'all's opinions?

Personal opinions are endorsed by me, myself, and I...
Greenvalv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004   #2
Lord of the Peach

Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)
Default Re: Centripetal force & the Earth rotation.

Well first 1/2 of the Earth woul be in enternal dark and other eternal light. I dont think we would be heaver or lighter or fly off the Earth
Pethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004   #3
Trekkie At Large.....

Greenvalv knows it's spelt 'colour'Greenvalv knows it's spelt 'colour'Greenvalv knows it's spelt 'colour'
Arrow Re: Centripetal force & the Earth rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pethegreat
Well first 1/2 of the Earth woul be in enternal dark and other eternal light. I dont think we would be heaver or lighter or fly off the Earth
Your first sentence was good; however, your second sentence must be a misunderstanding. I was pointing out the effects of centripetal force, and the fact that if there was no gravity we'd fly off, not because the earth stopped. You really need to read and understand what I said before you reply again.

Old July 17th, 2004   #4
Nel mezzo del cammin

SpiderGoat is a friend of the PeopleSpiderGoat is a friend of the PeopleSpiderGoat is a friend of the PeopleSpiderGoat is a friend of the PeopleSpiderGoat is a friend of the People
Send a message via ICQ to SpiderGoat Send a message via AIM to SpiderGoat Send a message via Yahoo to SpiderGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalv
I was just thinking about weight. Now we're standing on a planet, a few thousand miles in diameter, rotating at about a thousand miles per hour. Now if there wasn't any gravity we'd float off into outer space due to centripetal force, right? But because of gravity we remain on the earth.

Now my point is, what would happen if the earth stopped spinning? Would we weigh twice as much? Would buildings collapse due to the added weight?
If I'm not mistaken, there are places which lack centripetal force: namely the (exact center of) the north and south pole. Now, what was that formula for calculating the darn thing again...

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

(Dylan Thomas)
SpiderGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004   #5
Spaceman

Octovon knows the best jokesOctovon knows the best jokesOctovon knows the best jokesOctovon knows the best jokesOctovon knows the best jokesOctovon knows the best jokes

Well if the planet is pushed away from the sun by centrifugal force and pushed towards the sun by centrifugal force, I dont see how the planet would stop spinning. As Pethegreat said though, the planet would be half-dark, half-light. Gravity wouldn't change at all.
Octovon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004   #6
Trekkie At Large.....

Arrow Re: Centripetal force & the Earth rotation.

Allright, let's clear this up. I meant near the equater.

Old July 17th, 2004   #7
Trekkie At Large.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octovon
Well if the planet is pushed away from the sun by centrifugal force and pushed towards the sun by centrifugal force, I dont see how the planet would stop spinning. As Pethegreat said though, the planet would be half-dark, half-light. Gravity wouldn't change at all.
This is in theory!! As in, what IF the earth stopped spinning. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Old July 17th, 2004   #8
AzH
Banned
El Bano

AzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan baseAzH has a solid fan base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octovon
As Pethegreat said though, the planet would be half-dark, half-light. Gravity wouldn't change at all.
i think that Greenvalv is suggesting that the earth spinning negates the effect of gravity. whereas gravity holds us down, centrifugal force would throw us off. thus, if the earth stopped spinning, our 'weight' would increase as there wouldn't be anything to counter gravity...
AzH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004   #9
Lord of the Peach

Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)Pethegreat saves the day (again)

And how would the Earth stop spinning? I eath bends space to a point and u think that whats creates gravity or it may be the mass of the object

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzH
i think that Greenvalv is suggesting that the earth spinning negates the effect of gravity. whereas gravity holds us down, centrifugal force would throw us off. thus, if the earth stopped spinning, our 'weight' would increase as there wouldn't be anything to counter gravity...
I think we are too small on a planet to be affected by centrifugal force.

Last edited by Pethegreat; July 17th, 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Pethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004   #10
Trekkie At Large.....

Talking Re: Centripetal force & the Earth rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzH
THANK YOU!!! For understanding me.