Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Legacy Gaming > Star Wars: Jedi Knight Series > Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy > Jedi Academy General Discussion

Remember Me?

Jedi Academy General Discussion Discuss the Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2008   #1
7Lives Leader

NineTales is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to NineTales
Default Jedi Academy Home Server Host Tutorial

Hi Everyone,
I desided to spend some time making a tutorial since there are people out there who want to know how to do it, So here... i Begin.

Making a Home Host Jedi Academy Server Tutorial.
(Note: Most home hosted server's tend to be very laggy depending on your connection speed and where your geusts are from.)

//////////////////////////
Contents:
1: Desiding the mod
2: Server Configuration (Includes Template and full description)
3: Files in the correct directories
4: Hosting the server!
5: Popular server-side mods

//Desiding the mod.

Ok first you need to deside on which mod to use, I'll write how to make a BaseJKA server, I have listed the well known server-side mods down at the bottom of this post.

Ok, Now you need to make sure you have the latest JAmp Dedicated Server files:
(Windows: JK3 Dedicated Server for WIn32 (1.011)
Linux: JK3 Dedicated Server for Linux (1.011))

Make sure you have these files placed in your 'GameData' Folder.
If your on windows and use 1 primary hard drive, Then this should take you to the folder you need to place these files in:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\

//Server configuration
Once you have the right files for Dedicated hosting, You then need to configure the 'Server.cfg' (Open in Notepad/WordPad) which contains the core information of the server for example (The Server Name; Time Limit; Frag Limit (Kill Limit)).
Just so you know, The .cfg (Configuration) file that you first get is far from incomplete, Therefore i wrote a cfg template you can just copy into the 'Server.cfg' and complete the rest easily yourself:

Code:
seta sv_hostname "-"
seta g_motd "-"
seta g_gametype "3"
seta rconpassword "-"
seta sv_master1 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com"
seta sv_master3 "master.qtracker.com"
seta sv_master4 "clanservers.net"
seta sv_master5 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_allowdownload 1
seta g_password "-"
seta snaps 20
seta g_inactivity 0
seta sv_maxRate 10000
seta g_allowvote 1
seta timelimit 0
seta capturelimit 0
seta g_autoMapCycle 0
seta disable_item_medpak_instant -
seta disable_item_medpak -
seta disable_item_medpac -
seta disable_item_shield_lrg_instant -
seta disable_item_shield_sm_instant -
seta g_weapondisable 524278
seta g_friendlyfire "-"
seta g_friendlySaber "-"
seta sv_floodProtect "-"
map mp/duel1
(Replace the '-' in the speech marks to enable what you want)

Ok, Copy that into the 'Server.cfg' via "NotePad" or "WordPad".
Now i'm going to go through each line of the configuration template so you know what to set to the way you want it:

- sv_hostname, This controls the server name that will publicly be shown on the Jedi Academy Server List.

- g_motd, This controls the loading message known as "Message of the day"

- g_gametype, This controls the Game Type, Here are the codes for each avalible game type:
(0 = Free For All, 3 = Duel, 4 = Power Duel, 6 = Team Free For All, 7 = Siege, 8 = Capture the flag.) Replace the '-' in the speech marks in the 'Server.cfg' file to enable that Game Type.

- rconpassword, This is the pasdword that you set for in-game use, It's allow's you to control/administer inside instead of outside your server, Allowing you to kick or ban players or change any server setting.

- Server Masters, You do not need to worry about these.

- sv_allowdownload, It is highly recommended you have this set at '0', Due to the fact that most people in Jedi Academy these days can download your 'Server.cfg' and get all the server information to change what they want on your server. But it is up to you, If you allow public downloads, They will be able to download the required base files from either your computer or the server host.

- g_password, This is used to stop geusts coming to your server, By placing your own password after 'g_password', The server will become private and only the people you give the password to will be able to get in.

- snaps, This will help improve everyones fps rate and make everyone less jumpy.

- g_inactivity, This is handy for popular server's, If you have innactive players, This will automaticly kick innactive players off the server to allow more to enter. The digits/numbers you put after 'g_inactivity' works in seconds for example (seta g_inactivity 120 - Anyone who hasn't moved in 2 minutes will be automaticly kicked from the server but not banned)

- sv_maxrate, This sets the maximum allowable rate a client may have set when connected to the server, If you set this to 0, It becomes unlimited.

- g_allowvote, If enabled, This allows players to vote in your server to do the following (Warm up, Restart Game, Change maps, Kick a player (But not ban) Change the gametype, Change the fraglimit (Kill limit) and Change the time limit)

- disable_item_medpak_instant, If this is set to '1', It will disable all Health Packs in the map

- disable_item_medpak, If this is set to '1', It will disable all medication packs in the map

- disable_item_shield_lrg_instant, If this is set to '1', It will disable all the bigger health packs in the map

- disable_item_shield_sm_instant, If this is set to '1', It will disable all the small health packs in the map

- g_weapondisable, This controls the weapons that you have in the server, For example:
(Set it to: "524278" - It will disable all weapons but not LightSabers.
"0" - It will enabled all the weapons avalible in-game)

- g_friendlyfire, If this is set to '1', You can kill your partner in the following game modes:
Team Free For All, Power Duel, Siege, Capture the flag

- sv_floodprotect, It is recommended your have this set to '1', So that no one can crash the server by say bind spamming. If you enable this, It will Prevent anyone talking 5 seconds after their previous sent message.

//Files in the correct directories

To host a baseJKA server, You need to make sure these files are in the correct directories:

jampDed.exe - C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\
server.cfg - C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\

//Hosting the server!

Ok, Now you have everything set, Your next and second last step will be to double left-click on "jampDed.exe" to bring up the baseJKA server-side dedicated host, Let it load for about a minute.

Once you have done this, Type in the console for following:
/exec server

Let it load for another minute, And it is done!

//Popular server-side mods

JA+
Clan Mod
Open Jedi Project Enhanced 1.2

-----------------

If anyone has any problems with anything related to server hosting for Jedi Academy, Reply with your question and i'll get back to you .

Many Thanks

NineTales

|PF|SnickerDoodle|PHC| - Phoenix Fighters Clan Leader

Last edited by NineTales; August 2nd, 2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: To help make it stand out more.
NineTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008   #2
7Lives Leader

NineTales is a n00b
Default Re: Jedi Academy Home Server Host Tutorial

Sorry, Only just noticed the cfg in the coded area was messed up, And couldn't edit it so i fixed it for you's

seta sv_hostname "-"
seta g_motd "-"
seta g_gametype "3"
seta rconpassword "-"
seta sv_master1 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com"
seta sv_master3 "master.qtracker.com"
seta sv_master4 "clanservers.net"
seta sv_master5 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_allowdownload 1
seta g_password "-"
seta snaps 20
seta g_inactivity 0
seta sv_maxRate 10000
seta g_allowvote 1
seta timelimit 0
seta capturelimit 0
seta g_autoMapCycle 0
seta disable_item_medpak_instant -
seta disable_item_medpak -
seta disable_item_medpac -
seta disable_item_shield_lrg_instant -
seta disable_item_shield_sm_instant -
seta g_weapondisable 524278
seta g_friendlyfire "-"
seta g_friendlySaber "-"
seta sv_floodProtect "-"
map mp/duel1

Old August 11th, 2008   #3
Innuend-o-matic

Tricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machina
Cool Re: Jedi Academy Home Server Host Tutorial

Well, my friend is trying to run a home server on his computer, but no luck so far. He followed all your instructions but no good. His server just won`t appear on the list. I`ll talk to him about this and see if he`s interested in cooperating with you in this matter. Add me to your MSN contact list if you want so we can communicate more easily.
Tricorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008   #4
I'm too cool to Post

DiOg is a n00b

Hi im new hmm i am creating a server and im have some problems i have the configs and i am trying to do a lugormod server for me and some friends what should i do?
DiOg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008   #5
7Lives Leader

NineTales is a n00b

Hello,

Very very sorry i didn't reply sooner,

If you do have problems, And if you do have msn, add me on jff.ninetales@live.co.uk.

And i'll be happy to help.

Thanks
NineTales.

Old September 11th, 2008   #6
Innuend-o-matic

Tricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machinaTricorder is the deus ex machina
Smile Re: Jedi Academy Home Server Host Tutorial

I spoke to my friend about cooperating with you, but he gave up on trying to run his server. Thanks anyway.
Old September 11th, 2008   #7
7Lives Leader

NineTales is a n00b

Hello,

I think i know what the problem is, These dedication packs are set to LAN Hosting which can be changed using an add-on .bat file.
I'll have the full dedication pack uploaded and linked here later on.

Thanks
NineTales.
Dominus_Scotus likes this.

Last edited by NineTales; September 11th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old September 12th, 2008   #8
Innuend-o-matic

Cool Re: Jedi Academy Home Server Host Tutorial

I added you to my contact list. I hope you don`t mind.
Old September 12th, 2008   #9
7Lives Leader

NineTales is a n00b

Hello,

No problem at all ,

Here is the JADedication pack i quickly put together, It contains the addon to host a fullon dedicated server for both Base and JA+ by click on either "Base_Dedication" or "JAPlus_Dedication" these will allow it to appear in the list instead of the LAN List.

Please check the "server.cfg" in either the Base Folder or the JAPlus folder, Which ever mod you are hosting.
And to make these Dedication Batch Files work with other mods, For example (Right click) on "Base_dedication.bat" and Click Edit.
This will bring what contains of the .bat files that make your server lead onto the main server list.
When it opens in a text file, Edit the part after fs_game to whatever mod you wish to use, Here is my Example:

BaseJKA Host:
.\jamp +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 29200 +set fs_game base +set com_hunkmegs 64 +set sv_maxclients 14 +exec server.cfg

JAPlus Host:
.\jamp +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 29200 +set fs_game japlus +set com_hunkmegs 64 +set sv_maxclients 14 +exec server.cfg

Lugormod Host:
.\jamp +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 29200 +set fs_game lugormod +set com_hunkmegs 64 +set sv_maxclients 14 +exec server.cfg
--
As you see the part after fs_game changes to the mod you use, however, You might place the lugormod file in your gamedata folder under the name "lugor" without the mod, Which means you will have to make it:
+set fs_game lugor

It will only lead to the directory folder in your gamedata containing the mod.

Hope you understand this, It's the best i could describe it.

>>CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!<<

Thanks
NineTales

Old September 12th, 2008   #10
Banned
El Bano

Ghosh Lorz Geptun should know better by now
Send a message via AIM to Ghosh Lorz Geptun

lol, what do you do if your stuck behind a LAN IP??
Ghosh Lorz Geptun is offline   Reply With Quote