Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Legacy Gaming > Half-Life Series > Half-Life 2 > HL2 Modding, Mapping and Editing

Remember Me?

HL2 Modding, Mapping and Editing Want more info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders, Mappers, Skinners, etc.? This is your Spot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2005   #1
Combine Soldier

Lightbane has disabled reputation
Default Half-Life 2 DM Bots?

HL2DM is a great game to play, with thrills galore, even when one only plays on the three official maps, but it does lack one thing -- comprehensive (or any, for that matter) bot support. So I pose the ultimate question: What gives? We have bots for CS:S, very well coded ones, at that. So why not have bots for HL2DM? Not long ago an update for Source SDK was released, which allows more indepth bot coding -- why not put this addtion to use?
Converting CS:S Bots to HL2DM shouldn't prove too difficult either -- not much has to be added, really. Mostly it's features that have to be REMOVED from the CS:S bots to make them usable in HL2DM.
So, if any one is interested, it would be great to post here and state that.
One final thing: PLEASE, do not post here and say "1 Dont w4nt b0tz cuz they suxxx000rzzz!!!". If you dislike bots, simply do not pay attention to the thread. Thank you.

Pax Nilfgaardiana
Lightbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005   #2
ε..з
Award

Fragger is the life of the partyFragger is the life of the partyFragger is the life of the party
Default Re: Half-Life 2 DM Bots?

The main problem would be adding waypoints to existing maps. Also, CSS bots know about the different objectives, but in HL2DM there are no objectives other than kill everything that moves that's not you or your team.
I'm sure Valve will eventually add bots to HL2DM. It's just a matter of time.
Some people may get impatient and create their own, but later they will join those who made their own DM mods.
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005   #3
Combine Soldier

I agree with you about the lack of objectives for bots, but killing opponents is an objective in and of itself -- in CS:S bots kill other bots and players even while trying to arm/disarm bombs and rescue/secure hostages. Really, all one needs to make bots work are waypoints through the three official maps and two objectives: self-advancement/preservation (can powerups, like health and weapons be coded in the bots or do they have to use WPs to pick them up?) and killing enemies.
I frankly fail to see the difficult part here. But then again, I am not an expert on bot coding, so I could be wrong.

Pax Nilfgaardiana
Old February 21st, 2005   #4
ε..з
Award

Fragger is the life of the partyFragger is the life of the partyFragger is the life of the party

For one, you can't edit the maps, so waypoints are out of the question.
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005   #5
Combine Soldier

That is quite a letdown. I did not know that you could not edit the official maps. But unofficial maps are still there -- most of them are subpar in quality (no offense to mapmakers -- I understand that the community is just taking off and needs some time to start making quality maps), but when nothing else is available, this is as good an option as any.

Pax Nilfgaardiana
Old February 25th, 2005   #6
I'm too cool to Post

mwalk10 is a n00b

If you just drop a custom map into CS:S it will run a bit of a procedure for figuring out bot behavior, i have only tested it on some maps, but so far they all work. Does this mean all the maps i have tried have waypoints in them for the bots to follow?

The line below is true
The line above is false
mwalk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005   #7
Combine Soldier

Yes, CSS creates bot waypoints by itself. A great, innovative feature, that. But we are talking about HL2 Bots... Which do not yet exist, sadly.

Pax Nilfgaardiana
Old March 1st, 2005   #8
I'm too cool to Post

mwalk10 is a n00b

Bots dont exist yet, but i thought i saw an ai script to put in hl2dm matches. like for zombies, now disregarding the oficial maps, could the mapper put info nodes and put modified responing ai in the map?
Again this depends if you can get ai in hl2dm, im going to look for that now.

The line below is true
The line above is false
mwalk10 is offline   Reply With Quote