Old November 22nd, 2008   #11
Call me Pingwin

Metall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presence
Send a message via AIM to Metall_pingwin Send a message via MSN to Metall_pingwin
Default Re: GTA IV - STEAM or Retail??

That's very true. Are you going to consider resale later on?
Metall_pingwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008   #12

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finest

No, most likely not. GTA IV is a game I think I'll be playing for quite a while

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008   #13
Unleash Your Wobbly Moobs
Clan Member

AdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. View Post
There is a very good chance that whatever DRM the retail has, STEAM will have the same thing.
SecuROM limits the number of installations you can create from the disc. Paying for and downloading a game from Steam removes the disc from the equation completely.

Once you have activated a Steam game using the product key, you can download and install on any computer making use of the same user account. The only catch being you cannot use the same user account in more than one place at anyone time.

The issue of SecuROM turning disks into inert plastic after three or four installations, becomes redundant, because there was no disc in the first place.

Last edited by AdmiralHocking; November 22nd, 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Disk/Disc
AdmiralHocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008   #14
Call me Pingwin

Metall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presenceMetall_pingwin has a commanding presence
Send a message via AIM to Metall_pingwin Send a message via MSN to Metall_pingwin

In that case, for what it's worth, I'd recommend you buy the Steam version. Unless you plan on forgetting your password, it's just a more efficient and comfortable way of shopping for games.
Metall_pingwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008   #15
Banned
El Bano

Sedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super ModeratorSedistix is as cool as a Super Moderator

Steam blows, and after fiddling around with L4D for awhile, I've tossed it once again.

My two biggest gripes?

1. It enables Valve to (at any time) turn a one-time purchase into a financially parasitic subscription purchase.

2. It's unreliable, torturing gamers with arbitrary crashes and lockups, and forcing them to download gigabytes worth of material that they already posses upon their hard drive.

3. Online validation and even useage, can be rendered inaccessible because of the goings-on of a server hundreds of miles away. (Anyone remember last year when those bad storms took down some of their central servers and tens of thousands of gamers couldn't play their legitimately owned games for more then a week? I do, until just recently for L4D, it was the last time I had it installed.)

Yeah fuck Steam, I'll be getting it on disc. In the event that the interwebs, everywhere aren't always running perfectly.

[CENTER][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]When we change the way we look at things, what we look at changes.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[/CENTER]
Sedistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008   #16
Unleash Your Wobbly Moobs
Clan Member

AdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokesAdmiralHocking knows the best jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedistix View Post
1. It enables Valve to (at any time) turn a one-time purchase into a financially parasitic subscription purchase.
Which would potentially loose them hundreds of customers - considering Valve's commitment to provide quality to the recipients of their games, the likely hood is minuscule.

Quote:
2. It's unreliable, torturing gamers with arbitrary crashes and lockups, and forcing them to download gigabytes worth of material that they already posses upon their hard drive.
I've only ever had one problem with Steam - and that was during the major update in which they introduced the community features. Those who hadn't already been using the beta, on the odd occasion would loose connection to the Steam Friends system.

This was resolved fairly quickly, especially compared to the fact a lot of retail games are released with the need for major patching.

Not once have I had to download gigabytes of data I already have on my hard drive, yes the automatic updates are required before you can play - but they're never that large.

Quote:
3. Online validation and even useage, can be rendered inaccessible because of the goings-on of a server hundreds of miles away. (Anyone remember last year when those bad storms took down some of their central servers and tens of thousands of gamers couldn't play their legitimately owned games for more then a week? I do, until just recently for L4D, it was the last time I had it installed.)
You can actually still play Steam games in offline mode, once installed you do not require the internet to access single player content.

The loss of servers is however something you let yourself in for with any multilayer purchase.

More so considering once a publishing house has stopped supporting a game, they have nothing stopping them from pulling the plug on the master server.

Freelancer anyone?

AdmiralHocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008   #17
The forums staffers think I'm Cool

faro0485 is nobody special

I preordered my DVD from Amazon - £24.99 with the free delievery option (so 5 more extra days after the release date for me).

Steam can go to hell.

Then again Steam version will probably be destroyed by piracy.

The only thing I would ever download from Steam, would be an MMOGTA with GTA3, VC, London and other cities and regions.
faro0485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008   #18
Formerly -Sirius-
Clan Member

Keirgo should make some friends

Though I dont believe GTA4 will have DRM, being released on steam unfortunately is no guarantee that the steam version of a game wont have it, just look at FarCry 2 for example.
Attached Thumbnails
GTA IV - STEAM or Retail??-steamfarcry2page.jpg  
Keirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008   #19

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralHocking View Post
SecuROM limits the number of installations you can create from the disc. Paying for and downloading a game from Steam removes the disc from the equation completely.

Once you have activated a Steam game using the product key, you can download and install on any computer making use of the same user account. The only catch being you cannot use the same user account in more than one place at anyone time.

The issue of SecuROM turning disks into inert plastic after three or four installations, becomes redundant, because there was no disc in the first place.
Crysis Warhead uses SecuROM and has the limited installs. I have it over STEAM and it has them.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008   #20
"World's Best Boss"

SteVen will become famous one daySteVen will become famous one daySteVen will become famous one daySteVen will become famous one day

I've always gone with Steam purchases whenever its available. No shipping cost, guaranteed to get the game on release day, and never have to install patches since Steam updates the game automatically whenever a new update is available.

SteVen is offline   Reply With Quote