Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > The Graphics Department

Remember Me?

The Graphics Department Got a cool new effect for your artwork? Share it here to help others develop their artistic talent.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2005   #1
Banned
El Bano

Tap112 has the right approach to thingsTap112 has the right approach to thingsTap112 has the right approach to thingsTap112 has the right approach to things
Default Bleeding Text Tutorial.

Hey guys. I made this for another forum so I figured I might as well post it here also. It's a simple technique, but who knows? It might be useful.

This tut will show you how to make bleeding text in Adobe Photoshop. A pretty cool effect.

You can probably find this somewhere on the internet as well if you search for "photoshop blood text". But screw those tut's. This one is cooler. Why? Because it has a cool smilie in it: - now that smilie is cool as ice.

Tutorials without images to go along with the steps are usually annoying but this tut is pretty simple and images would not really make it any easier to follow. Plus, I am too lazy to be messing with imageshack right now.

1. Open a new file. Go to image > mode > set to greyscale.

2. Type your desired text.

3. Go to select > load selection. Choose layer transparency.

3. Go to layer > flatten Image.

4. Click select > inverse.

5. Go to filter > pixelate > crystallize. Choose a cell size of 4 or 5.

6. Go to select > inverse.

7. Go to filter > noise > add noise. Choose guassian, monochromatic, and amount about 70.

8. Filter > blur > gaussian blur. Choose a radius of 2.0.

9. Image > adjust > curve. Now this part is kind of confusing without a picture. You will see a grid where you will be able to select points, creating a curved line. Select points so that your line progressed up diagonally to the right and goes up to the top of one grid sqaure, back down to the middle, up to the top of the next grid square, down to the middle of that square, and so on until you reach the top.

10. Cntrl D (deselect). Go to image > adjust > invert.

11. Image > rotate canvas > 90 CW.

12. Filter > stylize, wind. Select method - wind direction - from the right.

13. Rotate the canvas back (90 CCW).

14. Change the mode back to RGB (image > mode > RGB).

15. Go to image > adjustments > hue saturation. Click colorize. Adjust the sliders to your hearts content.

These next steps are optional. Depending on the font you chose, it might be necessary in order to make the text readable.

16. Make a new layer. Type the same text (same font, size, words obviously) as you did to start with.

17. Change the color to something that contrasts with the bleeding text (you most likely made the bleeding text red - most blood is red after all - black and maybe white are the best choices).

18. Select the pointer tool and drag the new text layer directly over the bleeding text.

19. In the layers palette, right click on the top text layer and select and settings that you see fit. I chose outer glow and set it to a red gradient as well as gradient overlay, adjusting the red to black gradient a bit to make the red only appear at the end - this adds to the bleeding effect.

Including the optional steps you should get something like this:

[The forum I made this for has a black background]

I was wearing nothing but a bath towel while I wrote this tut. Do you feel wierd now?

If you do this tut, please post your creation.

[CENTER]
[LEFT][COLOR=Blue][signature removed because Fragger has nothing better to do than treat everyone like a noob]
[/COLOR]__________________
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
Tap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005   #2
46 and 2, are just ahead of me

Phoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a ModeratorPhoenix_22 is as cool as a Moderator
Send a message via MSN to Phoenix_22
Default Re: Bleeding Text Tutorial.

The smilie really enhances this thread's value, i must say.

I must say that your font turned out way better than mine.
Phoenix_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005   #3
Banned
El Bano

Tap112 has the right approach to thingsTap112 has the right approach to thingsTap112 has the right approach to thingsTap112 has the right approach to things
Default Re: Bleeding Text Tutorial.

Haha damn straight.

Yea, you did it perfect though . Some fonts work better with specific effects, naturally.

[CENTER]
[LEFT][COLOR=Blue][signature removed because Fragger has nothing better to do than treat everyone like a noob]
[/COLOR]__________________
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
Tap112 is offline   Reply With Quote