Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Gaming

Remember Me?

General Gaming Here you can talk about all the games that don't have their own forums.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2013   #1
Notable Loser

Commissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limit
Send a message via MSN to Commissar MercZ Send a message via Yahoo to Commissar MercZ
Default Crytek: 'The notion of single-player has to go away'

Saw this article over at destructoid. I thought it is relevant with the increasing focus on multiplayer and making games more tied up with social networking. I personally like my share of single player games, I don't completely agree with Yerli's position here.

http://www.destructoid.com/crytek-th...--247397.phtml

Quote:
For years, numerous pundits have called for the death of single-player games, and while some of us gnash our teeth at the thought of losing solo experiences, the creep of multiplayer has been undeniable. This is good news for Crytek, a studio that apparently can't wait to be rid of single-player.

"I think the notion of a single-player experience has to go away," CEO Cevat Yerli told IGN. "However, I'm not saying that there will be no single-player experiences ... it could be it's called Connected Single-Player or Online Single-Player instead.

"Online and social can reignite single-player in a new type of context and provide benefits that will make you want to be a part of a connected story-mode rather than a disconnected story-mode. Sure, if the technology forces you to play a traditional single-player game online, that doesn't make sense but if it's offering actual benefits to be online then you want to be part of it."

Few weeks before, Gabe Newell when talking about the differences about single player and multiplayer for valve, jokingly referred to single player as "a feature film where your lead actor is retarded and autistic, but you can think of it like a feature film." Comments on his use of words aside, I guess it underscores what a lot of developers feel about single player and its worth.

Last edited by Commissar MercZ; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Commissar MercZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #2
The Bad

MrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured OneMrFancypants - the Honoured One
Default Re: Crytek: 'The notion of single-player has to go away'

The notion of Crytek needs to go away. Their games are rather crappy anyway. They should stick to engine development.
MrFancypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #3
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

Oh snap!

And I agree. Not only that, but the fact that video game companies are becoming more like social think-tanks is a tad disturbing. Just stick to making fun, recreational games, and stop trying to "connect us". Video games will do that on their own.
Killer Kyle likes this.

"A tattoo of a lawnmower going through your pubes should be ideal." ~ Mr. Matt.
Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #4
The Minister

Schofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via MSN to Schofield

But I like single player.

To hell with Crytek, Crysis 1 was pretty good though.

Words
Words
That
That
Kill
Kill
Schofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #5
Voice of joy and sunshine

Nemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American English

Crysis 1 was good only until the $^% aliens turned up. After that I lost interest in the series entirely. I get the percentage in doing a multiplayer game - you can make your assets go a lot further when you don't have to come up with a story and voice acting and you can implement gambling mechanics to keep people on a certain risk-reward track. But I don't like it - even the best MMOs don't come anywhere near my best single player experiences.
MrFancypants, Ryojin, Toph and 1 others like this.

Nemmerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #6
The Minister

Schofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the Admins

Yeah the alien twist was kind of unneeded. They presented no challenge to fight whatsoever, as they were so big and easy to hide from. Crytek should just stick to engine-building though, like Fancypants said.

Words
Words
That
That
Kill
Kill
Old March 3rd, 2013   #7
I Got Some Paper Towels!

Jamoking is a regular member

They make one good game and now single-player is just suppose to roll over and die for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Ţepeş View Post
Just stick to making fun, recreational games, and stop trying to "connect us". Video games will do that on their own.
Exactly, I don't need them playing "matchmaker," there's already over a hundred websites for that

You either die a fan, or live long enough to see yourself become George Lucas. ~ Schofield
Jamoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #8
Hold my Stones

Fracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admirationFracture is worthy of your admiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmerle View Post
Crysis 1 was good only until the $^% aliens turned up. After that I lost interest in the series entirely.
Agreed.

And it is absolutely idiotic to say that single-player needs to "go away". I mean, sometimes I enjoy single-player more than multi-player depending on the game. Most CoD games I buy are for the campaign. Call me weird but I never really enjoyed the multi-player in the CoD franchise... Somep people just want to play by themselves. Let them.

EDIT: And was he saying single-player needs to go away specifically for FPS games or for all games? Because if thats the case, and he had his way.. he would practically destroy the whole RPG genre...

Last edited by Fracture; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013   #9
The Minister

Some games just shouldn't have single-player because you can tell that the company (Activision ) clearly is focused on multiplayer, so the single-player portion is just a waste of time and not even good or re-playable.

Words
Words
That
That
Kill
Kill
Old March 3rd, 2013   #10
Notable Loser

Commissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limitCommissar MercZ knows no limit
Send a message via MSN to Commissar MercZ Send a message via Yahoo to Commissar MercZ

I forgot to add in the article link, that's been edited in. Anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracture View Post
EDIT: And was he saying single-player needs to go away specifically for FPS games or for all games? Because if thats the case, and he had his way.. he would practically destroy the whole RPG genre...
It seems he was speaking about single-player in general. Even in RPG there's been an emphasis on trying to shift to MMO models over offline play.

I think that ties into what the article author points out at the end, that Yerli is making this assumption based on the success of an online-only model for some games (say TF2) to the whole industry.

I mean this comment wouldn't be so off point had Crytek had good multiplayer. 1 and 2 were only good for a single playthrough for me and weren't particularly memorable beyond the engine's visuals. The MP in 2 especially just seemed to be overlevelled players running around with almost perpetual cloak and shotgunning people in the face.
Commissar MercZ is offline   Reply With Quote