Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Gaming

Remember Me?

General Gaming Here you can talk about all the games that don't have their own forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2006   #1
I'm too cool to Post

VinChaos has disabled reputation
Angry Half-Life won't work - Help!

Ok...already posted this in the half-life forums...but nobody seems to go there. :P so~
Hey~ just recently got to playing Half-life again, and I went to install it on my pc. Firstly, it took forever; confusing, as I know my pc should have no trouble running it. Then, when I finally finished it, I tried to open the game, and got a myriad of error messages:
Could not open bitmap file 'gfx/shell/btns_main.bmp'
Bogus list type in woncomm list
Keyboard bindings file 'kb_keys.lst' is empty
I looked for patches in case this may be an XP incompatibility issue (like with final fantasy VII) but it didn't seem to help. ^^;
If anyone could help, it's be great; I've been looking forward to this game for a while. :/

Last edited by VinChaos; July 7th, 2006 at 08:56 AM.
VinChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006   #2
Business Edition

Mr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finestMr. Matt is Gaming Forumsí finest
Default Re: Half-Life won't work - Help!

My first idea would be to try reinstalling it -- I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it sounds like it is missing important files, which may be the sign of a corrupted installation. The only practical way of correcting such a problem is to reinstall it -- and make sure you close down any programs which could interfere with the installation this time, such as any antivirus programs you may have running.

I also notice that you said that you looked for patches, but didn't mention whether you actually installed any. If this is the case, it might be worth patching your copy of Half-Life to the latest version to see if that helps.

If neither of these work (and to be honest, they should), I'm afraid I don't have any other possible solutions in mind, though I may have a possible workaround, just in case nobody gives you any additional suggestions. I have found that if you register your original Half-Life serial number with Steam (which if you don't have already, you can download for free), the original Half-Life becomes available in your Steam 'My Games' menu. This won't cost you anything, of course, as you've already purchased the game to get the serial (I presume?). You can then download Half-Life from scratch via Steam, patches and all, and hopefully that version will work on your PC. If you have broadband that shouldn't take too long, as Half-Life 1 is actually smaller than some game demos you can download these days...

Otherwise, I'm sorry but I don't have any answers. If none of the above works, and nobody comes up with any other ideas, it might be worth contacting Valve's support team for assistance.
Mr. Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006   #3
Tech is where you'll find me..

marvinmatthew is cool as icemarvinmatthew is cool as icemarvinmatthew is cool as icemarvinmatthew is cool as ice
Default Re: Half-Life won't work - Help!

You might try posting this in the tech department.....

You may get a few more responces there.

If there is no answer to your tech question, try asking in the General Tech Support Area gamingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=398

-OR-

If you've got a technical question for a specific game, find the tech support area for your game gamingforums.com/showpost.php?p=2536769&postcount=2
marvinmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote