Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Discussion

Remember Me?

General Discussion Talk about general topics in here. You can also visit the sports and car discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Voice of joy and sunshine

Nemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American English
Default Automation timeline

I was thinking recently: What's the time-line for unemployment in various industries? By unemployment I mean where a significant majority of workers will be replaced by machines.

I think it would be best to rank them, most immediate highest.

e.g. :

Code:
Warehousing          5-10 years
Driving/logistics    ??
Job seeking          10-15 years
Interviewing         10-15 years
Administrative       20 years
I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this problem, and where you think we are at the moment.

Nemmerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit
Default Re: Automation timeline

I'd say we're in the age of robotics. At my current school, one of the concentrations is in mechatronics and knowing how to build machines that take the place of an expendable employee.

Many of the products we buy were manufactured by fine-tuned machines and they only ever come in contact with a person to go from one end of the factory to the other, or just to be put in another machine if the robot isn't already designed to move it.

Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
The Bad

MrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limit

In logistics you already have a lot of automation and the rest is work in progress. Here is an article about robotic cars for the US army:
Autonomous vehicles to join the US Army

MrFancypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Nemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American English

I think the big thing there is going to be getting autonomous vehicles licensed for public roads :/

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

Yes that was on my mind as well. In a way, it's dangerous, but on the other hand, how many people do you already trust to drive well enough?

Also:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Oh, I've no problem with them being on the roads once they're good enough. I'd be fairly happy if it became illegal for people to drive themselves, in twenty years time or so if they show a good safety record and come down in price enough for it to be feasible.

As I understand it, the biggest problem technologically at the moment is making them work in rain and fog and so on. But it's not really an area I've put much research into, I just know that's the problem you have trying to do it off of cameras - it's possible that's ameliorated somewhat using other forms of sensor.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Comfortably Numb

Many car commercials that plague my TV during Jeopardy boast of "100,000 micro sensors" that detect when your car is too close to another and adjusts accordingly.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Ţepeş View Post
Many car commercials that plague my TV during Jeopardy boast of "100,000 micro sensors" that detect when your car is too close to another and adjusts accordingly.
Planning a drive is a bit more complicated than just repeatedly noticing you're too close to something. ^_~

I believe Google use some form of LIDAR.