Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Discussion

Remember Me?

General Discussion Talk about general topics in here. You can also visit the sports and car discussion forums.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2 + 2 = 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2014   #1
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit
Default Have you noticed

how pointless everything is? :|

Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #2
Alien

Uchuujin is someone we should all be proud ofUchuujin is someone we should all be proud of
Default Re: Have you noticed

*points at Sig* Dare mo nani mo mamorenai. (it's what the Sig says in the original language)

Anyway, it ain't pointless as long as it makes you happy. But since most stuff don't make you happy, they're pointless. But necessary, so do the pointless stuff anyway and try to have even an infinitesimal amount of fun.

Click here to view my DeviantArt!
Uchuujin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #3
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

That's not quite what I mean.

Humans tend to place a very high value on the concept of there being some sort of supernatural POINT to our existence when in reality we are only an emergent chemical body whose ultimate purpose is to live, learn, and reproduce. Everything else is incidental.

I dunno, just kinda pisses me off how important things seem. Our minds have grown so much yet our curiosity has led us to expect more than we can reasonably obtain with our meager forms :C

At least for now!

Old July 2nd, 2014   #4
The Aggressor!

2 + 2 = 5 has nothing to be ashamed of2 + 2 = 5 has nothing to be ashamed of

I think we impose purpose on our existence, this allows us to believe that we can better the human race for the future generations, which from a biological viewpoint is exactly what we want to do.
Schofield likes this.

Casual-Lurker
HeadShock
2 + 2 = 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #5
Alien

Uchuujin is someone we should all be proud ofUchuujin is someone we should all be proud of

Wanting something and making it happen are two very different things. Humans still have a long, long way to go before they can say that they're better than before. Infinitesimal steps is all we're making so far.

Click here to view my DeviantArt!
Uchuujin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #6
Doves all day, man!

MoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to followMoreGun89 - an example to follow
Send a message via MSN to MoreGun89

Humans are afraid, so we tell a story. This story helps to keeps the fear at bay since they believe there is an understanding. It's not pointless, it's a matter of what version of the story clicks with you and how you react to it .

MoreGun89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #7
The Minister

Schofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via MSN to Schofield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Ţepeş View Post
in reality we are only an emergent chemical body whose ultimate purpose is to live, learn, and reproduce.
Did God tell you that?

When most people talk about purpose, they are not usually talking about why they're here, it's more what they can do with the time they've been "given". Having a purpose other than breathing and reproduction is probably the reason our ancestors didn't just kill themselves. I doubt you'll find a single person who wants to live, but doesn't feel like they have a purpose.

Words
Words
That
That
Kill
Kill

Last edited by Schofield; July 2nd, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Schofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #8
UDRWLLATTSBFSE=p
Award

DarthParrot has many friends around these partsDarthParrot has many friends around these partsDarthParrot has many friends around these partsDarthParrot has many friends around these partsDarthParrot has many friends around these partsDarthParrot has many friends around these partsDarthParrot has many friends around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to DarthParrot

All I have to say is this:

Spoiler:

Mouse over text: Why can't you have normal existential angst like all the other boys?

Battle Over Tatooine, a JKA map coming soon to a bandwith near you!

Last edited by DarthParrot; July 2nd, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
DarthParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #9
Voice of joy and sunshine

Nemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American English

What I have noticed is that all purposes are bound. There's no necessity without desire, and all desires are personal.

As for an overarching metaphysics of purpose. Well, it's a nice enough story I suppose, and haven't we all thought of it as an obvious hack? If you could believe arbitrary things, then one of the obvious ones would be that there's a god that you worship by doing all the things that you think would be desirable in a person, and who loves you if you do those things and will reward you with an eternal goody bag.

But belief doesn't seem to be volitional in that way. Faith isn't a choice - it's an experience. An experience that can sometimes be forced on you, and sometimes just seems to happen because who you are interacts with what you believe in some way that I don't quite understand.

I suspect most religions got their start that way, someone noticed that people were apt to believe these things and encoded the sort of person they'd like to be in a story and then.... organised religion.

Maybe even starting off as relatively innocuous beliefs, "Don't hit your sister or the boogie man will eat you."

-shrug-

Or perhaps it's just people who don't matter very much longing to matter and coming up with stories where they do - if you've low self-esteem the idea that you're a son or daughter of god is probably quite reassuring. Saying things that you'd like to believe even if you don't quite believe them yourself, those in a similar situation find easier to believe because they didn't come up with them - and then that group feeling of being close to people and wanted and so on reinforces the original belief to the point where they actually do believe it.

-double shrug-

I can think of a couple of ways it may have come about. Hell, maybe it came from dreams; in our dreams we fly like gods, and might a more primitive species interpret these as more accurate reflections of reality than they are?

Nemmerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #10
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schofield View Post
Did God tell you that?
No, but Dad did say something about the spoiled milk in your fridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schofield View Post
Having a purpose other than breathing and reproduction is probably the reason our ancestors didn't just kill themselves.
I'm...not so sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParrot View Post
Mouse over text: Why can't you have normal existential angst like all the other boys?[/spoiler]
I wish

Medicine is sort of what keeps that part of the mind "shackled," and now that I'm back on it, it's generally reduced to, "Well...I've not completely given up yet."

Last edited by Adrian Ţepeş; July 2nd, 2014 at 02:47 PM.