Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Discussion

Remember Me?

General Discussion Talk about general topics in here. You can also visit the sports and car discussion forums.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2014   #1
Doves all day, man!

MoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these parts
Send a message via MSN to MoreGun89
Default Religion AKA Why You Can Never Win

Had an interesting conversation with my neighbor today. He's a Christian preacher and found out about, my well, gobbledygook gook of spiritualness.

We had a conversation that shook me more than it should have, it made me feel bad to not be Christian but follow similar morals. Upon further thought, there would have been no positive outcome regardless of my religion. Even Christians dislike and disagree with other Christians, hence, sects. But still it makes me dislike structured religion more, mostly because it doesn't matter what you believe, not everyone, meaning a majority will approve.

Not meant to be an angry rant in any way, just an observation.

MoreGun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014   #2
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit
Default Re: Religion AKA Why You Can Never Win

It's mainly a matter of previous conditioning. I still have some sort of fear of Hell because I was raised to fear it.

We all love you regardless of whatever "gobbledygook is possessing your mortal soul" <3

Last edited by Adrian Ţepeş; June 30th, 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014   #3
The Minister

Schofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the AdminsSchofield has been noticed by the Admins
Send a message via MSN to Schofield

One of my fears is someday becoming religious. Not to sound like a bastard, but the thought of believing in something like god actually frightens me (which is ironic, because I think most religious people are also afraid of god, but in a different way). Anyway, I'm afraid of becoming one because it's like I'm losing whatever individuality I actually have. I guess that's kind of the point of religion though, isn't it? They may not have had the NSA to strike fear into the people, but they had the next best thing.

I actually am spiritual though, but not in the way most people are.
Einherjar Silberio and Totes like this.

Words
Words
That
That
Kill
Kill

Last edited by Schofield; June 30th, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
Schofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014   #4
Alien

Uchuujin is generally helpfulUchuujin is generally helpful

Jesus is not the problem, in my opinion. I don't know whether he existed or not, for all I know he did and he was an awesome guy (but not magic like he's in the Bible, sorry to any Christians).

The problem, again in my opinion, is how misguided most his followers are, and how twisted his worship is. I have met good Christians, who are respectable and respectful and good friends to me, but most are just way too fanatical.

I still don't believe in God though.

Click here to view my DeviantArt!

Last edited by Uchuujin; July 1st, 2014 at 12:05 AM.
Uchuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014   #5
Voice of joy and sunshine

Nemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American EnglishNemmerle is cool enough to use American English

I think that's a human thing more than it is a religion thing. We've all got different areas of interest and different beliefs. Mostly we don't talk about those things in face to face company.

Still, it's a maxim I heard yonks ago:
'Never talk about religion, politics, or money.'
Of course the never is a bit much - sometimes you can get away with it. Still mostly it seems best avoided unless you know the group well and think no-one's going to take it too much to heart. I'd never dream of talking about politics, for instance, to people I work with - I need those people. Better to let it sail on by uncommented.

Nemmerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014   #6
Doves all day, man!

MoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these partsMoreGun89 has many friends around these parts
Send a message via MSN to MoreGun89

I agree with all of the views on this, it's just that there's no wrong way to live life, that's up to the individual. The main point of contention was what makes you a good person. His view was to follow the spirit of the 10 commandments in the eyes of god, while I do agree with most of the commandments, my take is that I will be the best person I can within reason. If you ask for my help, I will do the best I can to assist! If I can make someone else's life a little easier and better, and I am happy with the decisions I have made at the end of te day great! If not I will do my best to fix my mistakes.

The counter argument from him is that it wasn't what makes you happy, but what makes god happy. I see where he's coming from, but I couldn't live like that. I want to be happy and I will do it in the best way I can .

I suppose it comes down to whatever helps you sleep at night, but it was an interesting conversation, we did agree on a lot, just the fine details were disagreed upon.

MoreGun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014   #7
The Bad

MrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limitMrFancypants knows no limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGun89 View Post
His view was to follow the spirit of the 10 commandments in the eyes of god
Got to love people who call themselves "Christian" but reduce their definition of Christianity to a narrow section of the old testament.

I think there are a lot of clever things written in the Bible, but it is not like those guys were the first to discover or revolutionize morality.
MoreGun89 and Adrian Ţepeş like this.

MrFancypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014   #8
Comfortably Numb

Adrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limitAdrian Ţepeş knows no limit

Interesting note on that very topic:

Most colleges require students to take at least two semesters of world history. In my book, it covered everything from the code of Hamurabi to ancient Taoist philosophy. The fact that people can read through that and still come to the conclusion that Christianity (often Protestant Christianity) is the only correct way to live is almost maddening.

If there's anything you could take away from university (lol) it would be that you don't have to just believe something because it's what's prevalent. You should learn to have SOME standards for acceptance. If something seems fishy well...it probably is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGun89 View Post
The counter argument from him is that it wasn't what makes you happy, but what makes god happy. I see where he's coming from, but I couldn't live like that. I want to be happy and I will do it in the best way I can .
That sounds rather masochistic to me

It kind of reminds me of something Christopher Hitchens used to say:

"Who but a serf wants it to be true?"

Perhaps a bit harsh, but IME it's not too inaccurate.
MoreGun89 and Schofield like this.

Last edited by Adrian Ţepeş; July 1st, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Adrian Ţepeş is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014   #9
[SARCASM]

Emperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as RevengeEmperor Benedictine is almost as leet as Revenge

"It's not about what makes you happy, it's about what makes me happy. Let me tell you what I want." - emotional abuse

"It's not about what makes you happy, it's about what makes God happy. Let me tell you what God wants." - Christianity

[/SARCASM]
Emperor Benedictine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014   #10
I live on Gaming Forums

random_soldier1337 is a regular member

Problem with religion isn't so much what it preaches, as what it does. Or rather what the people "following" some god or another do to satisfy themselves so much so that any modern religion is less associated with it's religious book, which, IMO, just grants a possible perspective on life (especially when people were possibly stupider and less thoughtful in general a century or few back), and more with the unnecessary enforcement of questionable, self-imposed laws of a religion by even more questionable men (extreme case being Muslim terrorists).

Though, while looking to their religion, if one must have a reason with the thought of God in mind to guide their lives, one needs to also consider the fact that is it not presumptuous that an entity so infinite in capacity and being is reduced to the finite texts, written by men who are finite in their abilities?
random_soldier1337 is offline   Reply With Quote