Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Discussion

Remember Me?

General Discussion Talk about general topics in here. You can also visit the sports and car discussion forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2008   #1
I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

Oblivious is known by everybodyOblivious is known by everybodyOblivious is known by everybodyOblivious is known by everybodyOblivious is known by everybodyOblivious is known by everybody
Default Darwin Award? Inebriated Man falls to death at Baseball game

So what do you think... worthy of a Darwin award? He slides down the handrail of the stairway, hits the bottom, flips over the edge and falls 150' to his death. Brilliant.

Quote:
ATLANTA -- Alcohol was a factor in the death of a 25-year-old man who fell down a stairwell at Turner Field during the game between the Atlanta Braves and New York Mets.

Justin Hayes of Cumming, Ga., suffered head injuries Wednesday night and was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. He fell about 150 feet from the club level to the landing on the field level during the eighth inning.

The investigation is "pointing toward drinking. Alcohol was a factor," said Atlanta police department spokesman Ronald Campbell on Thursday.

Campbell said Hayes may have been sliding down the handrails when he fell.

"We are still waiting for the police report to be completed," Campbell said. "We had officers working at the game."

Mark Guilbeau, the senior investigator with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office, said an autopsy will be performed.

The Braves issued a statement Thursday expressing sympathy for Hayes' family.

"The Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Police Department are investigating the tragic accident that resulted in the death of a 25-year old male fan at last night's game," the statement said. "Our sincerest and heartfelt condolences go out to his family."

Braves spokeswoman Beth Marshall said the team had no additional comment pending the investigation.

Turner Field, built for the 1996 Olympics, has been the Braves' home stadium since 1997. The Braves said it's the first nonmedical fatality at the stadium.

Earlier this season, a fan at Shea Stadium in New York was killed when he plunged four stories from an escalator during a game. According to media reports, witnesses said the man was perched on the escalator handrail when he lost his balance and fell.

source: Alcohol a factor in fan's fatal fall
For the record, this is the second Mets game this season where a fan has fallen to their death, two different stadiums. Connection? Conspiracy? Could it just be that Mets fans have had it?

Intel E8400 @4.3GHz - EVGA GTX260/216 - 4GB G-Skill 1066 - Gigabyte EP45 UD3R - X-Fi Fatal1ty
Seagate 1.5TB - WD Caviar Black 1TB - OCZ Powerstream 600w - NZXT Lexa - Asus 24" 1920x1080
LAPTOP: Dell Latitude D820 - Intel T2400 1.83GHz - 2GB - Go 7400 256mb - WD Scorpio 250GB - 1280x800
Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #2
Emissary of Technology

Serio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GFSerio is addicted to GF
Default Re: Darwin Award? Inebriated Man falls to death at Baseball game

9.9/10
I had to pull 0.1 points because he died. This just shows what alchohol does to you!

Join the GameFront IRC channel
#gamefront on irc.arloria.net

Serio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #3
Serious business brigade

Tas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a ModeratorTas is as cool as a Moderator

I don't think drunk accidents should be nominated for the Darwin awards, you can argue he fell due to the beer, not his inherent stupidity which i think it's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means.
Tas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finestS.T.A.L.K.E.R. is Gaming Forumsí finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serio View Post
9.9/10
I had to pull 0.1 points because he died. This just shows what alchohol does to you!
The entire point of a darwin award is that the person died
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tas View Post

I don't think drunk accidents should be nominated for the Darwin awards, you can argue he fell due to the beer, not his inherent stupidity which i think it's all about.
i do agree though, but there was no doubt some underlying stupidity was involved

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #5
I'm accepted, He was condemned
Clan Member

adelphospro is the life of the partyadelphospro is the life of the partyadelphospro is the life of the party

I don't think this is funny at all....

Has a nation changed its gods,
even though they are no gods?
But my people have changed their glory
for that which does not profit.

Be appalled, O heavens, at this;
be shocked, be utterly desolate,
declares the Lord,
For my people have committed two evils;
they have forsaken Me the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns, that can hold no water
. (Jer 2:11-13)
adelphospro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #6
Banned
El Bano

Squire James has been known to help peopleSquire James has been known to help people
Send a message via ICQ to Squire James Send a message via MSN to Squire James

Actually the entire point to the Darwin awards is that they removed themself from the genepool (hence why the hicks that blew their own testicals off with a ad-hoc fused made from a .22 Calibre Pistol round won it a few years back)

Personally, falling off a stadium is

Unlucky? Pretty much
Stupid? Well, what they were doing was rather stupid but, other examples have shown genuine lack of intelligence (I refer you to the .22 Calibre Fuse)
Funny? Yeah pretty much

Yes I am the sort of heartless git who laughs when someone falls 180 feet to their splatty death.

Signature changed yet again
Squire James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #7
No! I'm Spamacus!
Multi Award Winner

Ensign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himselfEnsign Riles is revered by those around himself
Send a message via AIM to Ensign Riles Send a message via MSN to Ensign Riles

He wouldn't be eligible for a Darwin Award, maybe an honorable mention. If he was inebriated, he was not capable of sound judgement which is a prerequisite for the award.

And the .22 fuse story is a confirmed urban legend by Darwin Awards. Mythbusters tried something similar which resulted in an accident, but no deaths (And therefore no award).

This signature unintentionally left unfunny.
Ensign Riles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #8
I'm accepted, He was condemned
Clan Member

adelphospro is the life of the partyadelphospro is the life of the partyadelphospro is the life of the party

Okay it's a little funny lol, however I'm going to a Braves game this Saturday... We're sitting in one of the high spots too....

Has a nation changed its gods,
even though they are no gods?
But my people have changed their glory
for that which does not profit.

Be appalled, O heavens, at this;
be shocked, be utterly desolate,
declares the Lord,
For my people have committed two evils;
they have forsaken Me the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns, that can hold no water
. (Jer 2:11-13)
adelphospro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #9
Banned
El Bano

Squire James has been known to help peopleSquire James has been known to help people
Send a message via ICQ to Squire James Send a message via MSN to Squire James

Quote:
And the .22 fuse story is a confirmed urban legend by Darwin Awards. Mythbusters tried something similar which resulted in an accident, but no deaths (And therefore no award).
Not sure you understood what I mean't by it. They could get the award because the award was for removing yourself from the genepool. While they didn't die, having ones reproductive organs shredded would definately remove your genes from the genepool. (i.e you can't reproduce)

Signature changed yet again
Squire James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008   #10
Uh-oh.

Penguin_Unit has disabled reputation

The stupid part is that he was drinking in the first place...alcohol never helped anyone.

Pow. Haha.
Penguin_Unit is offline   Reply With Quote