Go Back   GameFront Forums > General Chit-Chat > General Discussion > The Garage

Remember Me?

The Garage Do you have petrol in your blood or do you just like to fix the engine yourself? Get behind the wheel and talk about cars here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008   #31
DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!!!!
Soldier of Darkness

Marshall_Brant is someone we should all be proud ofMarshall_Brant is someone we should all be proud of
Default Re: Hemi Powered Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlushac11 View Post
Why do you always have to rip on someone else's car?

It would be a refreshing change if for once you could say "Eh I dont like it but to each their own". Instead you have to rip on and belittle and demean everyone else ride and usually you end up singing the praises of you Buick or how great Camaros are.

Did you even take the time to find out about Rat Rods?

Please take 30 seconds to educate yourself

Rat rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rat Rods are not even about ebing fastest. Many are built with straight sixes, and even four cylinders.

Anyone can go and throw dollars at a Camaro or Mustang and build a expensive show car. The point of a rat rod is that its a hand built car. Its not about the best paint and the nicest interior, its about building it by hand. They are meant to look like crap, thats part of the appeal to them.

They are getting popular with some car shows now having a rat rod class.

Rat rods are the bare minimum, function over looks. They are meant to be driven, not placed on a trailer.

That one in the first video also has a very nice intake. Looks like it may be a old eight 1bbl Stromberg carb setup or it might be a old Hilborn mechanical fuel injection setup.

And by the way superchargers or turbos can put out similar power levels on street cars, it all depends on the setup and how its tuned. Race cars wanting maximum efficiency where times are measured by thousands of a second want turbos to avoid the parasitic loss the belt uses.

To get rid of a supercharger whine the easiest thing to do is drill holes in the back of the pulley to allow the air to escape.
You basically summed up our argument in one post.

As for the turbo what about the turbo lag? With a S/C the power is there all the time, a Turbo needs to wind up first than dump the power in one go. I don't like that I'd rather have the power all the time.

Why would any one want to get rid ov the S/C whine?

I am the Black Apostle and Steward of the Black Thread
Marshall_Brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008   #32
For the glory of Helghan
Defender of the Dark

Shintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to things
Send a message via MSN to Shintsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlushac11 View Post
Why do you always have to rip on someone else's car?

It would be a refreshing change if for once you could say "Eh I dont like it but to each their own". Instead you have to rip on and belittle and demean everyone else ride and usually you end up singing the praises of you Buick or how great Camaros are.

Did you even take the time to find out about Rat Rods?

Please take 30 seconds to educate yourself

Rat rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rat Rods are not even about ebing fastest. Many are built with straight sixes, and even four cylinders.

Anyone can go and throw dollars at a Camaro or Mustang and build a expensive show car. The point of a rat rod is that its a hand built car. Its not about the best paint and the nicest interior, its about building it by hand. They are meant to look like crap, thats part of the appeal to them.

They are getting popular with some car shows now having a rat rod class.

Rat rods are the bare minimum, function over looks. They are meant to be driven, not placed on a trailer.
It started when he said "ricers" are no go and just looks, otherwise I would've disregarded it and went on. That thing looks like a piece of crap (Which I guess is a compliment?) and to say that something like a tuner car looks worse just doesn't make sense to me. You don't have to leave it stock but modding it doesn't mean you have to make it tacky or stupid looking. There are a hell of a lot of high performance tuners which is why you can't say they're nothing.

I've not mentioned my car nor any Camaros. Pretty much though, General Motors are the only well made American cars to me and they're the only ones I'd ever buy. To put money into a newer car doesn't mean it's a showcar. I generally find that a waste, who cares if it's got 5 TVs in it and a super audio system with lots of subwoofers? Money put into a car should be for performance.

Still, I don't know what kind of person actually likes an ugly car. Why don't you just go put some dents in your car and scratch off some of the paint too? It just doesn't make any sense. Originally people may not have cared about looks and only performance, but that doesn't look very high performance to me. If it were actually fast maybe, but if you pull up next to someone in a modern car with that and race and win most people will expect it because it's some unusual and non-regular car. I like the thought of having a car that isn't some oddity to drive that in the same situation will put more surprise in the other person.

It's the same reason I don't really like race cars or anything (I do like those F1 cars and stuff though). So what if it's faster than [insert street car here]? It's most likely got only a driver seat, lots of manual switches in it, roll bar, the entire car has been stripped to save as much weight. In no sense is it a street car or anything close. You could make a lot of cars faster by doing the same but it's still just kind of boring to me. Street cars with weight differences and motors etc etc are exciting because there are different elements and variables that make one more likely to win than another that can be tipped in either car's favor.

If they're not about being fast, not about looking good, then what are they for? Basic transportation? If so, you can find a lot cheaper cars that will do that and be a lot more reliable. It doesn't really make sense to me unless they're fast or good looking or something. Otherwise there is no real desire factor on them.

Accept my rule or perish in opposition...
Shintsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008   #33
Soldier of Darkness

Marshall_Brant is someone we should all be proud ofMarshall_Brant is someone we should all be proud of

Quote:
General Motors are the only well made American cars to me and they're the only ones I'd ever buy.
Amen to that.

So in your ignorance you label all Rat Rods as crap. Even this one?
Yes thats a Rat Rod.

Here are some examples ov what form a Rat can come in:
I hope this opens your mind to the fact that Rats are a form ov art and each one is different, and it suits the taste ov it's owner.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I love this '55 Bel-Air
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old March 3rd, 2008   #34
For the glory of Helghan
Defender of the Dark

Shintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to thingsShintsu has the right approach to things
Send a message via MSN to Shintsu

Yes, I really do think those are all pretty ugly. I see no attraction or any form of it look at those. I see lots of Hot Rods around here which I also think are pretty ugly but they look better than those things. I like the looks of a production car, not cars with all that weird looking stuff. A lot of them look like they don't even run.

Accept my rule or perish in opposition...
Shintsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008   #35
Arrrr!

Huffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as Revenge

I wouldn't call most of the rods in Marshall_brants post rat rods, they shouldn't look so new and polished when the the ratty look is an important aspect of the vehicle.

This is what I call a nice real rat rod:

Yes, I like rat rods, I'd love to build one if I had the time and resources.

Huffardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008   #36
Soldier of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffardo View Post
I wouldn't call most of the rods in Marshall_brants post rat rods, they shouldn't look so new and polished when the the ratty look is an important aspect of the vehicle.
Rats are part ov the Kustom Kulture started by Von Dutch, Eddy "Big Daddy" Roth, and so on.

Rats don't have to be primer and rust. those cars are in the rat category because they follow the guide lines ov a rat (except the Bel Air thats a Gasser) they fit what the owner's taste and whats in a car. I love the Kustom Kulture I only wish there was more ov it here in Dana Point CA.

PS: that car is awesome. \../

Old March 16th, 2008   #37
Kickin It SideWayz

PlayStationMan14 is a n00b

Not Much For That Kind Of Car.

PlayStationMan14 is offline   Reply With Quote