Old January 11th, 2009   #1751
Bier!

[WaW]hOMEr_jAy is a n00b
Default Re: Picture of the day

Ok, new day, new set of pictures (and this time no half-naked Landsers :P)
These pictures were made sometime between the beginning of 1939 and the start of the Polish campaign (peace time). hey show again different aspects of the basic training my grandpa did. It looks like they (like today) did los of walking and such. They thing the soldier in the directly middle picture has infront of his chest is a cable drum used to put wires for the field telephones. When I showed these pictures to a friend who was 12 years in the Bundeswehr he was really surprised to see this type of cable drum and then he told me that he has seen them in use by the Bundeswehr! o0
The two pictures on the right are postcards. The first says "Germany, Germany above everything" and "Oath of allegiance of radio detachment 57". The upper one says "The commander in chief of the 5th Army Korps inspects the front of the 5th detachment, stationed in Kornwestheim".
Now, if you look at my grandfathers shoulder patch (in the set I posted before) you can see an odd number. In the muster of the Kornwestheim army base I found the "Nachrichten-Abteilung 57" (from which those postcards aer) and a "Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 25". The number on my granddads shoulder patch looks like a "25" but what does it represent? Does it represent the "Abteilung" number (in this case he wouldīve been a member of the "Abteilung 25") or something else (in this case he wouldīve probably been in the "Abteilung 57"). Can someone tell me what the number on the shoulder patch represents?
Anyway, hereīs the picture:
Spoiler:

I got all these sources from this excellent (itīs only in German :/) website:
Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Itīs a great homepage, dedicated to the different aspects of the Wehrmacht (and some Waffen SS), completely non-political and very detailed. It describes things like different weapons, the ranks and much more. Even if you canīt speak German itīs worth a visit.
[WaW]hOMEr_jAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009   #1752
Arrrr!

Huffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as RevengeHuffardo is almost as leet as Revenge

Very nice pics, especially the one with the cable drum. That cable drum system looks similar to what I used too by the way, but I expect the drum not to have been plastic back then. Other than that little is likely to have changed, cables are still cables, why fix it when you don't have to?

Huffardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009   #1753
Lo, I am Mudra, za emo soldat!
Brigadier General

Von Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admiration
Send a message via AIM to Von Mudra Send a message via MSN to Von Mudra

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WaW]hOMEr_jAy View Post
Now, if you look at my grandfathers shoulder patch (in the set I posted before) you can see an odd number. In the muster of the Kornwestheim army base I found the "Nachrichten-Abteilung 57" (from which those postcards aer) and a "Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 25". The number on my granddads shoulder patch looks like a "25" but what does it represent? Does it represent the "Abteilung" number (in this case he wouldīve been a member of the "Abteilung 25") or something else (in this case he wouldīve probably been in the "Abteilung 57"). Can someone tell me what the number on the shoulder patch represents?

That's a 57 imo. The 7 is just stylised :P And it represents his unit number. In that photo, he's wearing the prewar dress Waffenrock, which was technically disallowed from being worn when the war started (though some stiill did anyways). All waffenrocks had the regimental cypher (usually just a number, but in others it could be intricate designs, especially older, famous divisions) sewn directly onto the shoulderboard, or in the case of officers, a gold metal device pinned onto the center of the cords.

Von Mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009   #1754
Bier!

[WaW]hOMEr_jAy is a n00b

You mean like the former regiment "Großdeutschland" had a "GD" on the shoulder patch, right?
Ok, now I know a bit more, so he was in "Nachrichten-Abteilung 57". Did those designations change through out the war or did they keep them? Because the photo album just goes untill the France campaign. I only know the rest from the things my dad told me...
From my other grandpa I got lots of information regarding his units because I found a claim for compensation because he was a POW, but Iīll tell his story later
Old January 11th, 2009   #1755
Lo, I am Mudra, za emo soldat!
Brigadier General

Von Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admirationVon Mudra is worthy of your admiration
Send a message via AIM to Von Mudra Send a message via MSN to Von Mudra

Yep, exactly. And they would keep the designations, but your grandpa would probably have gotten thrown around threw different units, almost all soldiers would not have ended the war in the same unit they started in :P

Von Mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009   #1756
Bier!

[WaW]hOMEr_jAy is a n00b

Well, after almost 6 years of combat itīs just normal that units get mixed...
Alrighto, the next set of pictures:
I call them "the silence before the storm" because they were taken before the start of the war (atleast in Europe. There were already some clashes in China..) and show the soldiers during their normal duty, outside the combat.
Spoiler:

Here you can see a variety of situations showing my grandpas comrades and him doing what a soldier does when he doesnīt need to fight.
Some of them show his unit during maneuvres, while others show them enjoying some free-time (for example the one with the kids or my granddad enjoying a cup of what-ever). Interesting is also the (I think) leichte Feldhaubitze we have in FH2 in the center of the set or the field telephone post. The truck on the bottom-center picture is (thatīs what Iīve been told) a special truck for the radio troops and carried the radio equipment. Thatīs all for today, tomorrow Iīll post new ones.
Oh and by the way: If you want you can safe those pictures. I donīt see any sense if they are in their photo album without anyone seeing them. Thatīs why I want to share them with the ones who are interested.
Old January 12th, 2009   #1757
Belgian ROFLs

Stefan F is generally helpfulStefan F is generally helpful

very nice pictures, i appreciate the effort to upload them, wish i had any pictures of those days to show.
Stefan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009   #1758
I take what n0e says way too seriously

[130pz.]Kading has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to [130pz.]Kading

i know, i know, not WWII, but i ran across this photo and had to share it, cuz DAMN, he's salty.

[130pz.]Kading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009   #1759
Addicted to chaos

FH1neverdies should make some friends

Canadians in Germany - Cpl. Urban standing beside road sign on the road to Cleve which reads 'You are entering Germany - Be on your guard.' 9 Feb 1945, Wyler, Germany.

PD:Nice pics [WaW]hOMEr_jAy
FH1neverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009   #1760
Fighting the Swine Flu

torenico has nothing to be ashamed oftorenico has nothing to be ashamed of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH1neverdies View Post
Canadians in Germany - Cpl. Urban standing beside road sign on the road to Cleve which reads 'You are entering Germany - Be on your guard.' 9 Feb 1945, Wyler, Germany.

PD:Nice pics [WaW]hOMEr_jAy

Hey Chris look! Im in Germany

Oh nice.. congratulations..

Now im in Germany, now in Canada, now Germany, Canada, Germany Cana....

Reminds me of The Simpsons. :P

Born with the Motherland in May 1810
torenico is offline   Reply With Quote