Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Company of Heroes > Company of Heroes General Discussion

Remember Me?

Company of Heroes General Discussion Discuss anything related to Company of Heroes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2008   #1
Shizzle my nizzle
Best Socialgroup

Revenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admirationRevenge is worthy of your admiration
Default Company of Heroes via Steam

I recently bought Company of Heroes on Steam. First I'd like to say the game is fantastic - I've just finished the Cherbourg level where you have to take the port, and it's all fun so far and I appreciate the brilliant physics effects and AI.

However, what annoys me is how much they're pushing the expansion pack Opposing Fronts on me and how they're using 'annoyance tactics' to get me to do things. First of all, Steam lists Opposing Fronts as 'preload complete', even though I've not bought it. When I right click on the game in the list, it says 'Buy Game'. I don't want games I've not bought displayed on my games list: my games list is supposed to be for games I can play there and then.

Secondly, when I launch Company of Heroes from the games list, it always pops up with a message saying 'What do you want to do?' with either the option to play the game or register the game with THQ. Quite clearly, when I right click on the Company of Heroes entry in Steam and click 'Launch Game', that means I want to play the fucking game, not register it. If I wanted to register it, I would have clicked on 'Register Game' instead of 'Launch Game'. There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off this dialogue, though I assume it will go away if I give in and register (which I'm not going to do).

Third, when Company of Heroes opens on to the main screen, I am forced to log in to play my own game. I don't like the idea of telling THQ exactly when I play my game since it is information they could only possibly use for profit. I also didn't like having to register for an account to play the game either - having to give them an email address and everything. They assume that since you bought the game from Steam, an internet download client, you must always have an internet connection and you must have an email address. I do have both, but I don't want to be tied down to both in order to play my game.

Lastly, they display the two additional campaigns (Market Garden and something else) on the main screen which are only playable with the expansion pack. Excuse me, I only want stuff on the main page which I can play without having to buy anything else.

These are really devious tactics which piss me off. If you buy a game, I believe you have the right to play it whenever you want (not just once you've registered for an account), shouldn't be pestered to register over and over until you do, and shouldn't be shown campaigns which require an additional purchase either.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Putting the fun back into fundamentalism.
Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008   #2
Don't Mess with Texas

$_TEXAS_$ is a n00b
Default Re: Company of Heroes via Steam

Even though I have OF I completely agree with you, I hate the way the game forces you online, If I didn't have OF seeing the locked campains would get very annoying rather quickly. and if the game detects an internet connection it tries to force you to register (have to sever connection to avoid the, and need the disk in). Relic really droped the ball on this one.
$_TEXAS_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008   #3
SS Sturmregiment Wotan

Lethal Dosage is a n00b

Quote:
Third, when Company of Heroes opens on to the main screen, I am forced to log in to play my own game. I don't like the idea of telling THQ exactly when I play my game since it is information they could only possibly use for profit. I also didn't like having to register for an account to play the game either - having to give them an email address and everything. They assume that since you bought the game from Steam, an internet download client, you must always have an internet connection and you must have an email address. I do have both, but I don't want to be tied down to both in order to play my game.

Lastly, they display the two additional campaigns (Market Garden and something else) on the main screen which are only playable with the expansion pack. Excuse me, I only want stuff on the main page which I can play without having to buy anything else.
These last two points are introduced with OF and the v2.xxx patches, so they effect everyone who has the game patched beyond v2.000 and isn't just restricted to Steam, so i'd say the CoH you've downloaded is fully updated already, now wasn't that nice of them? But that emphasises why i go for buying the full thing from a store, i know i'm getting the full game, and it's without the extra crap that other parties (like steam) throw in, not to mention there's a few compatability issues between the Steam version and the "official" version, especially difficulties the Steam version owners have with getting mods and skins to work.

Steam version owners also have to wait longer for patches since they must wait for Relic to release a patch, then Steam to get a hold of it and modify it to work with their game, etc, etc. Not to mention whenever Relic Online goes down and CoH can't connect to the servers the game asks for a disk, but since you downloaded and thus don't have a disk, if you can't connect to the servers you can't play the game. Sad isn't it that developers would do all this for a few bucks and to deter a few noobs from pirating the game.

Cross of Iron mod v1.0 Released!!!
Lethal Dosage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008   #4
Revenge was here.

343guiltymc has disabled reputation

I don't know what I hate more, THQ or Steam. They're desperate acts to stop piracy is making life bad for people actually buys the games legally. Steam is such a resource hog too.

Join me..........
343guiltymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008   #5
game expert.

bwc153 is a n00b

I got CoH on steam too, but i got it when it was on sale and was just released on steam (it was released on steam sometime in July 2007) but i couldnt play the game until around august 14th because of some glitch that vista causes. but steam does have some pros and cons though. Pros: Auto-Update, none of the shortcut crap for launching mods, and a few others i cant think of right now. Cons: kind of slow donwload speed (ive only gotten 767KBPS at max), auto-update can be a hasle (cant go back to previous patch), MUST be connected to internet, and not in offline mode to play CoH/CoHOF. Not to mention that i dont get vocies for the PE and brits (well i do get some but thats because i used the code for OF with vanilla CoH and copied over the speech files, witch the speech files seem corrupted) ill only get voices for certain units, for PE i only get voices for the panther battle group. Brits for me have a lot of voices, ill get voices for almost every unit but the infantry section.
bwc153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008   #6
I am also [130.Pz]Gef.Elche Pz
Best Thread

Moose12 knows the best jokesMoose12 knows the best jokesMoose12 knows the best jokesMoose12 knows the best jokesMoose12 knows the best jokesMoose12 knows the best jokes
Send a message via AIM to Moose12 Send a message via MSN to Moose12

Solution: Buy COH:OF as well .

Moose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008   #7
I'm too cool to Post

Baaadrabbit is a n00b

I downloaded all the patches (one of the 2 v2.xx was HUGE and took forever and multiple tries) because I wanted to try to link up with a friend to play online. Now I really regret it! I HATE that I am forced to log in to play now! That's crap! I never have played the game online. I'm thinking about completely reinstalling the game with only my original disk and not bothering with patches. The game played well enough without them (and all the extra hassle!).
Baaadrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008   #8
Sniper Regiment

iDeekz is a regular member
Send a message via ICQ to iDeekz Send a message via AIM to iDeekz Send a message via MSN to iDeekz Send a message via Yahoo to iDeekz Send a message via Skype™ to iDeekz

Yeah I agree. I hate the fact they make you login when you start the game.

Intel(R) Core Q6700 2.66GHZ - 2.7GHZ
4.00GB Ram
NIVIDA GeForce Gtx 260 896mb
2TB SATA HDD'S
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Logictech G11 Keyboard
Antec Twelve Hundred Case
iDeekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008   #9
Lurking.

Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)Vasili saves the day (again)
Send a message via MSN to Vasili

Quote:
I recently bought Company of Heroes on Steam. First I'd like to say the game is fantastic - I've just finished the Cherbourg level where you have to take the port, and it's all fun so far and I appreciate the brilliant physics effects and AI.
I bought the game when Opposing Forces came out (Because I like the British Military more than the yankee boys).

Quote:
However, what annoys me is how much they're pushing the expansion pack Opposing Fronts on me and how they're using 'annoyance tactics' to get me to do things. First of all, Steam lists Opposing Fronts as 'preload complete', even though I've not bought it. When I right click on the game in the list, it says 'Buy Game'. I don't want games I've not bought displayed on my games list: my games list is supposed to be for games I can play there and then.
Its just Steams advertising stragey, it shouldn't be aloud. I don't get that on my Steam list however, I guess I'll have to buy the right games in the future to avoid this happening.

Quote:
Secondly, when I launch Company of Heroes from the games list, it always pops up with a message saying 'What do you want to do?' with either the option to play the game or register the game with THQ. Quite clearly, when I right click on the Company of Heroes entry in Steam and click 'Launch Game', that means I want to play the fucking game, not register it. If I wanted to register it, I would have clicked on 'Register Game' instead of 'Launch Game'. There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off this dialogue, though I assume it will go away if I give in and register (which I'm not going to do).
Aye this is Steams agreement terms to other companies to allow them to in all respects 'annoy the fuck out of you'. I bought the game on CD so I do not get this trouble, but of course when I want to play the game, it means I want to play it, not fucking register to some company.

Quote:
This is what I hate, I do not trust the games which make me log in to play them, its not fair, I paid good money for the game and now they demand I have a internet connection to play? Pfft... What would happen if my internet wasn't working? I know it would play online, but we should have the bloody well right to have an option to not play online.

Quote:

These are really devious tactics which piss me off. If you buy a game, I believe you have the right to play it whenever you want (not just once you've registered for an account), shouldn't be pestered to register over and over until you do, and shouldn't be shown campaigns which require an additional purchase either.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Actually one trouble I had was when I bought the golden edition (Lets face it, it was 10-15 quid cheaper buying both of them in a pack instead of seperate). I had lots of fucking bugs on it, example when I installed the first Company of Heroes, it came up with the British Opposing Front installer. How the hell does the game know I have Opposing Fronts? Okay I carried on installing, then it made me download patches and sign in, which I did because I was desperate to play the British. So now I go back on the game and try to play the campaign

"You do not have right componets installed to play this game"

Err... What? I just installed both games and now you're telling me I do not have the fucking game installed? I could use the British in Skirmish but they had no voice sounds etc. It was like some person made a British army mod and put it in COH, that's what it felt like. So I presumed the game was bugged and tried 3 times to uninstall and reinstall, each time getting the same effects. I had the game for atleast since it came out (So about 2-3 months) without even playing it because I couldn't get the game to work, I wanted to take it back but I bought it via Amazon and I really couldn't be arsed.

But about two days ago I thought;

"What if I tried just installing Opposing Fronts instead of the first COH?"

Which guess what? Worked perfectly! Everything is all fine and dandy now. But it still makes me angry how there were no bug fixes for this, not even hints on I might need to just only install Opposing Fronts.

Bravo THQ, bravo indeed.

Everyone on the internet is a 16 year old bisexual catholic schoolgirl with no waist, enormous breasts, faux insecurity, 3 PhDs in everything, an 11" penis, and is rich and successful beyond my wildest dreams.
Vasili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008   #10
I'm too cool to Post

bonnell123 is a n00b

Yeah, a lot was lost when the game forced you to log on to relic to play. I hate that! Then the back and forth issues with .sga files vs .sbg files! I had had to reinstall several times just to get the bugs out (Could connect on lan but not MP games).

I hate STEAM, what a cumbersome, unecessary program. At first they seemed like a good idea, buy HL2, associate other games I have by CD key, then steam will "record" them, so if I get a new computer I can just log on, D/L my steam info and start playing..... NOT.....

I contacted STEAM to add COD2 to the account. Gave them the CD key, proof of purchase, etc. The IDIOTS would not take it!!!! I am NOT going to re-buy a game to make it STEAM friendly!!!! Nothing like the gaming Gestapo to ruin a good time!!!

Last edited by bonnell123; March 23rd, 2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling errors
bonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote