Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Company of Heroes > Company of Heroes General Discussion

Remember Me?

Company of Heroes General Discussion Discuss anything related to Company of Heroes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007   #1
GF Pwns Me!

eigs has disabled reputation
Default Q for better players

Mostly I play pairs (JuliaE) and do quite well. Recently I discovered that I could beat the computer on expert at singles (maps) by using (Allies Inf) only WSC and going straight to Motor Pool. No infantary at all! Having done that quite consistently I thought I would try some singles games. Oh Boy, the same tactics simply do not work, and (with all respect) not great opposition.
I watch a lot of top replays (Nystrom, Moo, Warchild etc) and the top guys always get infantry out first, I try to copy their tactics against the computer (expert) and I lose every time, against real people I have more success. Now I feel like a golfer who has to relearn his swing, in pairs I got to level 6 quite easily but now am starting to let partner down since I am caught having to remodel my approach, so I am not going to subject them to that until I have sorted it out.
Any of you Allies level 6+ folks got any advice for me as far as ground rule basics are concerned so I can rebuild my "swing" from the ground up.
eigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007   #2
GF Pwns Me!

Sn1p3r20Xp is a n00b

for starters, going WSC 1st in 1v1 isn't one that is used very often and is used with succes, you HAVE to know what you're doing in order to make the WSC start work. Start with the barracks and build about 3-4 rifles and push the map.YOU HAVE TO BE VERY AGGRESSIVE WITH RIFLEMEN. If you're not, you'll notice that usually the axis player pushes his MG's into you and you can't do much about it.

Now, after the initial engagements are over, you have to make a decision. Either, you wait to see what the axis player goes with ( tier 2 or 3) and react with the proper building. ( i e. WSC counters grens and paks*tier 2*. And motorpool counters tanks and light vehicles*tier 3 and even 4 if you can do it properly*)

If you do get WSC GET A MORTAR, they are the best at taking out bunkers and AT guns. and even throw in a sniper if the occasion calls for it.

If a motorpool, get at least 1 of everything an AT gun ( obviously for tanks), Halftrack for quad and front line reinforcing, and the m8 for the extremely powerful mines and for base harrasment( just going to enemy base just to shoot something then run once you get his attention), but usually getting 2 at guns are the best to cover the other and so on.

If the game last long enough go ahead and go Tank Depot for a *Sherman* NO M10, their armor is worth **** while the damage by the gun does a lot, you will lose m10s out the behind. especially if the axis went tier 2. The sherman can stand at least some punishment while dealing out a lot of damage with it's high splash damage. You can get a croc if the enemy went REALLY heavy on the infantry.

These are by no means perfect. Im not an expert player, but i think these are the best to what they counter and just for an all around strategy, you can modify these by what fits your play style and the strategy you're using.

Last edited by Sn1p3r20Xp; July 10th, 2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammer.
Sn1p3r20Xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007   #3
GF Pwns Me!

Thanks mate - that is as good a sound and logical summary as I could have hoped for - also explains why my indecision with infantry is costing in middle game.
Old July 11th, 2007   #4
GF Pwns Me!

Thanks Sn1p3r - been practising your tacs - first time I have beaten expert bringing out infantary and been aggressive - take on mg's from 2 sides. Also watching what tier they are using was great - very promising, excited now I have a firm base to rebuild my thinking. My micro with inf is still a bit dodgy but improving.
Old July 11th, 2007   #5
GF Pwns Me!

Sn1p3r20Xp is a n00b

no problem ,man, you need any help with strategies feel free to ask, im here .
Old July 11th, 2007   #6
GF Pwns Me!

Sn1p3r20Xp is a n00b

and micro takes practice to get it right, the more ya do it the better.
Old August 9th, 2007   #7
I'm too cool to Post

Windsurfer is a n00b

Good info, thanks Sn1p3r20X.
Use a few of those tactics already but the combo of what you say should do much better.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007   #8
GF Pwns Me!

Sn1p3r20Xp is a n00b

your welcome

Last edited by Sn1p3r20Xp; August 9th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.