Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Call of Duty Series > Call of Duty 4 > CoD4 Modding, Mapping and Editing

Remember Me?

CoD4 Modding, Mapping and Editing Want more info about a Mod? Making a Mod? Looking for Modders, Mappers, Skinners, etc.? This is your Spot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008   #1
Stalker Talker

FEARLESS should make some friends
Default CoD4 Weapon File Settings Explained

Here are some of the key features in each weapon file of CoD4 from the iw_11.iwd file. I will use the SP files but it applies to MP as well. This is not every setting, but rather the ones in which changes are most noticeable to the player. This is the simplest type of mod that can be done to the weapons and does not require the use of the mod tools. I tried to write this in as simple terms as possible, as if I was the one who had to read it and then do it with a lot of extra questions needing to be asked. All comments are welcome, even those indicating I need to improve these.

With that said, here is how to begin:

1. Create a folder on your computer and name it CoD4_weapons or something.

2. Now create a new folder within this new CoD4_weapons folder and name it MASTER iw_11.iwd.

3. Open the Main folder in CoD4. C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\main or if you use Steam, C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\call of duty 4\main.

4. Locate the iw_11.iwd file and copy it to this master folder. This is now your backup file. Don’t touch it!

5. Copy the iw_11.iwd file in the master folder and backup one level and paste. Within your CoD4_weapons folder you now have the iw_11.iwd file and the MASTER iw_11.iwd folder containing the backup file.

6. Change the extension of the iw_11.iwd to .zip.

7. Open the zip file and then open the Weapons folder which has two more folders – MP and SP.

8. Drag the MP and SP folders your CoD4_weapons folder on your computer.

9. Close the zip file for now. In your CoD4_weapons folder, you now have the following files and folders: MASTER iw_11.iwd folder, MP folder, SP folder, and the iw_11.zip.

10. Open the SP folder and identify the weapon you wish to change, and then open it. You will get a dialog box asking which application to use to open the file. You must use Note Pad or you may use Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition which is a free download from Microsoft. I use Note Pad as it is simple and straight forward.

11. Once the file opens, you see a lot of stuff. Some things are better left alone, but the following explains what the important ones are. You should be able to figure the others out by from what is below. Make only a few changes at a time.

12. When you are finished making your changes, close the Note Pad. Now reopen the iw_11.zip file, open the Weapons folder, and then either the MP or SP folder, whichever you changed, and drag the weapon file you just changed into the open zip folder. It will ask if you want to overwrite the file, say yes. When it is done, should only take a few seconds, close the zip file.

13. Now, change the extension of the iw_11.zip file back to .iwd.

14. Reopen the Main folder in CoD4 and copy the iw_11.iwd file back. Do not drag it or you will loose the file in your CoD4_weapons folder and have to recreate it for the next change. Close the CoD4 folder and run the game to test.

Remember to test the changes in the game to see if it is what you wanted then go back and make a few more changes. If you change a lot at one time, it can be very difficult to identify a change that does not work well. Patience.

\fireType\Full Auto\ This can be changed to single shot, 2 round burst, 3 round burst etc.

\aimDownSight\1\ Also known as ADS. This is 1or 0. Most weapons have this as 1.

\rechamberWhileAds\1\ Keep as 1 if you want to keep the weapon in ADS without dropping to the Hip carry mode between each shot. Most bolt action rifles have this as 0.

noPartialReload\0\ If this is 1, you cannot reload until the clip is empty. Usually used to rifles with stripper clips.

\maxAmmo\9999\ Max ammo allowed to be carried.

\startAmmo\999\ How much ammo you have to start with.

\clipSize\100\ How much ammo each clip or drum holds.

\shotCount\1\ How many projectiles are fired with each shot. 9 or more for shotguns. To many causes game lags.

\dropAmmoMin\190\ This is the minimum amount of ammo added when picking up the same weapon as is in your current inventory. At least 190 rounds will be added to your spare ammo.

\dropAmmoMax\220\ This is the maximum amount of ammo added when picking up the same weapon as is in your current inventory. Not more than 220 rounds will be added to your spare ammo.

\reloadAmmoAdd\0\ How many rounds will be added to your weapon during loading until the magazine is full. This does not apply to ammo clips, but instead to weapons like the shotgun where individual rounds are added one at a time or so. 2 used in the shot gun will load two shells at a time.

\damage\200\ This is the max damage the weapon will do to a victim, I mean an enemy guy.

\minDamage\100\ This is the least damage the weapon will do to an enemy at the longest effective range.

\meleeDamage\200\ Determines if hitting the enemy with your weapon will give him a hicky or a hole in his forehead.

\fireTime\0.05\ Determines the rate of fire for the weapon. Ties in with the rechamber Time.

\reloadTime\1\ How long it take to do the complete load cycle from removing the partially empty clip to inserting the full clip.

\reloadEmptyTime\1\ How long it take to do the complete load cycle from removing the empty clip to inserting the full clip and then charging the weapon.

\rechamberTime\0.05\ How long it takes for the weapon to eject a spent shell and load fresh round.

\rechamberBoltTime\0\ How long it takes to open the bolt to eject a spent shell and close the bolt to load a fresh round.

\dropTime\0.6\ The drop times indicate how long it takes to drop the weapon from a ready position.

\raiseTime\0.95\ The raise times indicate how long it takes to bring the weapon up to a ready position.

\nightVisionWearTime\1.5\ How long it takes to put on the night vision goggles.

\nightVisionRemoveTime\1.5\ How long it takes to remove the night vision goggles.

\hipIdleAmount\2\ How much the weapon moves around while just holding it.

\adsIdleAmount\1\ How much the weapon moves around while in ADS or aiming down the sights. High numbers will result in one of the players eyeballs rolling wildly around in their head.

\hipIdleSpeed\2\ How fast the weapon moves around while just holding it.

\adsIdleSpeed\1\ How fast the weapon moves around while in ADS or aiming down the sights.

\adsSpread\2\ How much spread the rounds have when in ADS. The smaller the number the more accurate the weapon. Using 0 will place each shot in exactly the same spot.

\adsTransInTime\0.95\ How long it takes to bring the weapon from the hip position into the ADS position. Bring it up to fast and you could poke your eye out.

\adsTransOutTime\0.94\ How long it takes to move the weapon from the ADS position back down to the hip position. Move it down to fast and it could slip out of your hands causing it to fire striking your teammate in the rear while the enemy is alerted to your presence from him/her screaming at you.

\adsReloadTransTime\3.045\ How long it takes to reload a weapon while still in ADS.

\adsZoomFov\40\ This is the field of view when in ADS. In other words, how much zoom is noticed. The lower the number the higher the zoom effect.

\hipSpreadStandMin\2\ The least amount of spread that occurs when firing from this hip and standing. Using 0 will place each shot in exactly the same spot.

\hipSpreadDuckedMin\1\ The least amount of spread that occurs when firing from this hip while ducked.

\hipSpreadProneMin\1\ The least amount of spread that occurs when firing from this hip while lying prone.

\hipSpreadMax\2\ This is the max spread allowed when firing from the hip. Make this number really big and watch all the squirrels fall out of the trees around you. Using 0 will place each shot in exactly the same spot.

\hipSpreadDuckedMax\1\ The max amount of spread occurs when firing from the hip while ducked.

\hipSpreadProneMax\1\ The max amount of spread that occurs when firing from this hip while lying prone.

\hipSpreadFireAdd\1.2\ How much spread is added when the weapon is fired quickly or in full auto.

\hipSpreadTurnAdd\1\ How much spread is added when you spin around to see who tapped you on the shoulder while mowing down your teammates.

\hipSpreadMoveAdd\1.5\ How much spread is added when moving forward, or running away?

\hipGunKickPitchMin\1\ How little the weapon will kick up when fired. Directly proportional to weapon climb when firing. This is not the same as what is actually viewed while playing the game, which is the ViewKick.

hipGunKickPitchMax\2\ How much the weapon will kick up when fired. Make this number high and the weapon will fly out of your hands and hit your buddy behind you in the head. May or may not leave a mark.

\hipGunKickYawMin\-2\ The least amount the weapon will move left or right when fired. The minimums use a – sign in front of the number.

\hipGunKickYawMax\1\ How much the weapon will move left or right when fired.

\hipGunKickAccel\1000\ Hard to describe. More is painful. Less give more control.

\hipGunKickSpeedMax\500\ Hard to describe. More is painful. Less give more control.

\adsGunKickPitchMin\-32\ Same as for the hip setting but for when firing in ADS.

\adsGunKickPitchMax\-45\ Same as for the hip setting but for when firing in ADS.

\adsGunKickYawMin\-22\ Same as for the hip setting but for when firing in ADS.

\adsGunKickYawMax\18\ Same as for the hip setting but for when firing in ADS.

\adsGunKickAccel\1000\ Same as for the hip setting but for when firing in ADS.

\adsGunKickSpeedMax\800\ Same as for the hip setting but for when firing in ADS. Make this number really high and the weapon will fly out of your hands striking your buddy behind you in the groin.

\hipViewKickPitchMin\45\ This is the amount the weapon moves up or climbs when firing as you see it on the screen. Same for: \hipViewKickPitchMax\55\, \hipViewKickYawMin\20\, \hipViewKickYawMax\-50\, etc.

\swayMaxAngle\4\ The max the weapon will sway while holding it at the hip.

\adsSwayMaxAngle\2\ The max the weapon will sway while in ADS. Increase this number to give players a splitting headache.

FEARLESS says go play!!
FEARLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008   #2
Stalker Talker

FEARLESS should make some friends
Default Re: CoD4 Weapon File Settings Explained

Sorry, but here are a few corrections and better explanations for the last few steps. Ignore steps 13 and 14 and apply these new steps.

13. Now, change the name of the iw_11.zip file to zzz_your_mod_name_zzz.iwd.

14. Ok, now open your CoD4 folder and locate the Mods folder. Open it and then open the ModWarfare folder.

15. Copy your zzz_your_mod_name_zzz.iwd file into this ModWarfare folder. Close everything out now, all the way back to the desk top.

16. Modifying the game shortcuts to run the game with the mod:

If you use the Activision version Right click on the Call of Duty 4 desktop shortcut and select properties from the menu. In the Target field, go to the end of the text, and paste +set fs_game mods/ModWarfare. It should now look like this: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\iw3sp.exe" +set fs_game mods/ModWarfare Yes, there is a single space between the “ and the +.
If you use the Steam version, open Steam. Go to the tab which says My Games, and locate Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in the game list. Right click on this link and select properties from the menu. In the dialog box, click Set Launch Options. Now paste +set fs_game mods/ModWarfare into the field. Close every thing.

FEARLESS says go play!!
FEARLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008   #3
I'm too cool to Post

Mcduke is a n00b

I'm hoping that you would know what the following weapon file settings do
sprintInTime
sprintLoopTime
sprintOutTime
Mcduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008   #4
I don't spend enough time here

tgillespie is a n00b

Thanks for that. Very helpful information.
tgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008   #5
May the force serve you well..

soulscammer is a n00b

Nice info, helped me out for editing the weapons

thanks
soulscammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011   #6
I'm too cool to Post

weathergeek16 is a n00b

Thank you so much you have helped me alot, but i have this one question to ask: how can you speed up/slowdown and make them go completly straight, without wobbling of an RPG? I have tried many things in the weapon file but i cant do it, if anyone knows how to do it by ANY way please post it here or email me at
weathergeek13@hotmail.com
Very much appreciated
Thanks
weathergeek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011   #7
I'm too cool to Post

davidbro is a n00b

nice info but it's hard for me
davidbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011   #8
Banned
El Bano

Phelion is a n00b

Good contribution. Ty for sharing

Removed signature as it contained a link that is violating our rules.
Phelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011   #9
I'm too cool to Post

Arcadia53 is a n00b

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to limit the weapon class for an individual map. We have a really good map, but it is a bit too spawnkilly. I was thinking that if I could limit the weapons to pistol or shotgun, it may solve the problem. We are running open warfare mod.

Regards
Arcadia53 is offline   Reply With Quote