Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Battlefield Series > Battlefield 2 > BF2 Problems, Errors and Help

Remember Me?

BF2 Problems, Errors and Help Battlefield 2 not working? Need Help? Post all your problems here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2005   #1
Communism kicks ass

MortifiedPenguin has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to MortifiedPenguin
Default "Your connection to the server has been lost"

If I see this once more, I'm going to string up whoever beta tested this fecking game from a tree. (So, I'm not going to string up anyone from a tree.)

Every time I play on a server, after a few minutes (longest was 10, shortest was 30 seconds =/) it just says "Your connection to the server has been lost." I've tried making sure my modem is plugged in and turning it off and on. Nothing. I'm still in the server browser window. If my connection just stopped working it would take me back to the login menu. I can connect to servers fine, but I just lose my connection so fast. It's just started happening recently.. any ideas? Cheers.

Signature removed, limit is 160x800
MortifiedPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005   #2
Circular Error ProbabilityZero

OneTinSoldier should make some friends
Default Re: "Your connection to the server has been lost"

Please list your system specifications. Please let us know wether or not you are using Dial-up, DSL, or a Cable connection to the internet. Please let us know whether you are using a Firewall, such as the Windows XP built-in firewall or any other and/or whether or not you are using a Router and what model it is. Have you considered that perhaps you have some sort of interent connectivity issue due to something along the lines your connection is dropping a lot packets?

It's not like everyone is having this problem. You are one of maybe three people that have reported to be having this specific problem. I think it is a problem on your end, not DICE/EA's end.
OneTinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005   #3

Edited for clarity and spelling:

Have you considered that perhaps you have some sort of internet connectivity issue? It could be something along the lines of your connection is dropping a lot of packets.
Old August 9th, 2005   #4
Vault Dweller

Eglaerinion is an upstanding memberEglaerinion is an upstanding memberEglaerinion is an upstanding member
Send a message via MSN to Eglaerinion

I had this problem for a while when I was using zonealarm, it had to do with the account server not being able to connect to my PC. I changed my firewall to Sygate Personal Firewall and now I don't have any connectivity problems anymore.

SO you might want to check your firewall (hardware and software).

Thanks for the great sig Braun!
Eglaerinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005   #5

And a good example of how a software maker does not test with every computer configuration out there. What would happen if game makers had to test with every single version of every single type of Firewall software made, and every single type of router ever made, and every ISP that offers internet connectivity, ect. They do test the software to make pretty darn sure that it will run on the listed minimum system specs of hardware and listed OS's. But sometimes, YOU, the person sitting in front of that machine have to look at and take care of your own configuration/settings and various peices of software that YOU have installed above and beyond the OS that could interfere with another precious peice of software that you want to run. Or, sometimes, it might be a peice of software that you didn't install, it could be something that came pre-installed with your machine above and beyond the OS.
Old August 9th, 2005   #6
10th Level Dutch Master

THC_Snake_ is a n00b

This is not a 2 or 3 person problem as I have that problem quite frequently , even on DSL and also encounter others that have the same problem frequently. I will be playing on a server, but it will be about anywhere from 30-45 mins to an hour of playing before that happens if it does. And I can tell when its going to happens because gameplay gets choppy(er then usual), then it pauses for a few seconds and BAM!...the dreaded connection lost message. Funny thing is before it disconnects me it says my ping is only 32 even when it says its as low as 16. I also think there is a problem with servers giving you you correct ping information. Most servers tell me its in the 16-32 range, yet i will have a great deal more lag than that.
THC_Snake_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005   #7

Well I was unaware that a lot of people were having this problem. I haven't seen very many posts about it. I will agree that if it is a problem with the game itself then it should be fixed. But I am on cable and I can say that I never have such a problem. Then only time I get 'Your connection to the server has been lost' is when the server goes down. I wish I had a better idea of how widespread this problem is, but I will say I haven't seen all that many posts on here about it.
Old August 9th, 2005   #8
10th Level Dutch Master

THC_Snake_ is a n00b

No, many people dont post about it, but it seems most people that have problems with the game dont discuss them on here. Guess they dont feel like signing up just to post a single problem or ask a single question, or they just arent "posters" lol. But every once in awhile im in a server where I see people get disconnected for no reason, so i assume this is the cause.
THC_Snake_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005   #9

Ok, I know what your talking about. I have seen like 5,6, or 7 number of disconnects all right at once. Not very often, but I have seen it. I only have theories about it. Such as..

1) The Dedicated Server code is not perfect.

2) The OS on the server becomes quite busy tending to something else besides the game for a moment or two and therefore gets little overloaded and loses some packets. Hey, there is other task the OS does at times besides just cater to the game!

3) There is a little blip on internet router(s), which believe it or not have been know to lose packets at times too.

4) All of the above.

STILL, I can play the game for 8 hours straight, and I have many times. I myself have never gotten this message unless the server has gone down. I play the game a lot, every day. I have had a glitch/bug on very rare occasion where I am just stuck and can't seem to move. So I have to quit the game and restart it. But as I said, that's very rare! I have seen a few other bugs with the game too, but 98.5% of the time, I have no problem with playing the game all day long.

I don't know why some people have problems. I just know that the games works for me, and I think it works fine for the vast majority of people that have bought the game. I could be wrong. Maybe the game is crap for 50% of purchasers. Who knows?
Old August 19th, 2005   #10
I hate these witty comments!

Pinksteady is a n00b
Smile Re: "Your connection to the server has been lost"

I too have been struggling over this problem for ages now but have finally made a significant improvement .

Sum up my problem:
During play, I will suddenly get severe lag accompanied by the message "there is a problem with your connection". This will last up to a minute, then will play fine for about 30secs and then do it again. After a few times of this messsage, it would usually give up and disconnect completely back to login, saying "your connection to the server has been lost".

On these occasions I would alt-tab back to windows to check the wireless signal, which is, admittedly, rubbish in my house but doesnt ever disconnect any other times. When BF2 disconnects, often the wireless signal was reconnecting when I looked, so BF2 seems to be stressing the signal or makes it very much more sensitive due to, perhaps, the memory requirements of the game, which are collosal. On medium settings, BF2 uses up around 750+ megs on my machine (specs at bottom).

I tried running router in DMZ+ mode, all firewalls off, ports open, virus-scanning off, latest drivers for everything, defrag, ad-scan, the works.

Anyhooo, I bought an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 4 and overclocked it from 475/450 to a nice and stable 540/540 with the temp not going over 50C once. And guess what, no problem! Perfect gameplay for the 45 mins I played just now.

I think what has happened is that my 1Gb of RAM is not coping (have read hundreds of other people reporting problems with 1Gb, but resolved with 1.5+), since the page file was being heavily accessed on its dedicated HD (i could hear it) when the disconnects came. By overclocking the GPU and its memory, I have taken some of the load of the RAM, which now handles it fine.

20 for the cooler is well worth it anyway, even if you never plan on overclocking, since my GPU was hitting the 80s sometimes when pushed with a game like BF2.

Another 20 on the CPU Arctic Freezer (on its way from ebay) should allow me to boost up my 2.4Ghz to 2.7ish, then I'll be laughing!

SYSTEM SPECS:
ASUS A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon64 4000+
Gigabyte X800Pro 256Mb (overclocked as mentioned)
1Gb DDR PC3200 (2x512Mb)
200Gb HD
2Gb HD (Dedicated page file of 1.5-2Gb)
EDIT:
BT 2WIRE778 Wireless Router
Origo rubbishy 22Mbs Wireless PCI card
Standard BT broadband 512kb

Sorry for such a long post I just kept typing!

Last edited by Pinksteady; August 19th, 2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Forgot connection details
Pinksteady is offline   Reply With Quote