Go Back   GameFront Forums > The Games > Age of Empires Series > AoE Problems, Errors and Help

Remember Me?

AoE Problems, Errors and Help Have a problem? Need help? Discuss it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2009   #1
Cuba shall triumph
Royal Guard

TIKI should make some friends
Send a message via AIM to TIKI
Default age of Empires 2 wont work on vista

hey all,

i felt like going back to some old games today and bought AoE II for like $5, however, when I try installing it, nothing pops up. I go to My Computer and click my drive, and it says please insert cd. Any help would be appreciative. Thanks much

-Tiki

TIKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009   #2
Re-heally?
Jedi Scholar

Zipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan base
Default Re: age of Empires 2 wont work on vista

That's more of a problem with the disc / the drive than Vista.
Make sure your drive functions properly and that your disc is clean and undamaged.
Do other discs work fine?
Do you hear any "odd noises" coming from your computer after you put the disc in?

Last edited by Zipacna; October 16th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Zipacna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009   #3
Revenge was here.

Warborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognition

Is your Vista 64 bit or 32 bit? AOE 2 works fine on my Vista 32 bit... However I heard some older games don't run too well on 64 bit.
Warborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009   #4
Re-heally?
Jedi Scholar

Zipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan baseZipacna has a solid fan base

Of course, this problem can occur later but the first thing is that the drive doesn't even recognize that there is disk.
So he should check this out first since, if something's wrong with the drive, anything else isn't going to help much.

Old October 21st, 2009   #5
Ottoman Janissary

Suleyman_Eisenhower is nobody special

If you upgrade to windows 7 professional, there is an xp mode that would almost certainly fix your problem. But first try right-clicking on the AoE2 icon on the desktop, going to the properties, and putting the program in xp compatibility mode. Hopefully that works.

"You Europeans are all Frenk to me."

-Sahin the Falcon, Ottoman commander of Malta

Major Eisenhower, Clan RGJ

Personal opinions are not endorsed by FileFront.
Suleyman_Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009   #6
Re-heally?
Jedi Scholar

Uhm... hello?
This has nothing to do with the programme not working!
Don't only read the title, read the posts, too!
It's only about the disk or the drive so far, I...
Oh, come on, why do I write this anyway? I'm willing to take bets someone comes in next and writes: "Try Win7!" -.-

Old October 22nd, 2009   #7
Ottoman Janissary

Suleyman_Eisenhower is nobody special

Oh whoops. It's just that I've seen too many complaints of programs not being compatible with Vista, so I gave my standard response. Well anyway, most likely your disk is damaged or your cd drive is too old (I'll explain this in a minute). First, try installing it on an older computer. See if that works. If it does, you can copy the files over to your newer computer using a USB flash drive, and get a no-cd fix from gameburnworld.com or similar site (note: this is NOT illegal if you are using the no-cd fix for your PERSONAL use. It is expressly illegal if you share your game with another person and provide them with the no-cd fix so that they can play without the cd). If you can successfully install it on another computer, that means that the disk is probably damaged but is still readable by certain cd/dvd drives. One thing that I noticed is that newer drives can often read scratched up disks better than older ones. For example, my scratched DVD's of Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms did not work on an old dvd drive from around 2003, but worked on my new one that I bought last year.

Hope this helps.

"You Europeans are all Frenk to me."

-Sahin the Falcon, Ottoman commander of Malta

Major Eisenhower, Clan RGJ

Personal opinions are not endorsed by FileFront.
Suleyman_Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009   #8
Revenge was here.

Warborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognitionWarborg is worthy of recognition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZipacna View Post
Of course, this problem can occur later but the first thing is that the drive doesn't even recognize that there is disk.
So he should check this out first since, if something's wrong with the drive, anything else isn't going to help much.
Out of my 100 plus games only one (caesar 3) does my vista not see. I put it in...nothing... click my computer...it doesn't show up. I try to run the game from my external...it tells me to insert disk. All the other games read ok on the Vista... and Caesar 3 works just fine on my ME and 98SE computers.

So...I don't know. It's weird
Warborg is offline   Reply With Quote